Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 06:03 AM

6,965 posts, read 3,617,418 times

Advertisements

Electricity bills for National Grid customers are expected to spike this winter, in part due to the war in Ukraine driving up the price of natural gas.

The company asked state regulators for a 64% residential rate increase over the same period last year. New rates, filed Wednesday with the Department of Public Utilities, showed about $114 more due on a typical month's electric bill over a six-month period, beginning in November.

About half of New England's electric generation is powered by natural gas or liquid natural gas, the price of which National Grid says has increased due to global conflict, inflation and high demand.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2022/09/21...city-rate-hike

I thought the Potato in Chief said energy prices are decreasing in his 60 Minutes interview?

The US produces and exports massive amounts of LNG. The Potato blames increasing energy prices 100% on Russia, so I guess the power companies are just following his lead.

See how that works?

He says the greatest threat to our democracy is white supremacy and attacks on whites increase.

He says high energy prices are not due to his anti-domestic energy production policies, but to Russia, and the power companies raise rates and blame Russia for the increases.

Maybe he should just keep his fat, ignorant mouth shut? What am I saying, the more he speaks the more people realize what a senile old fool he is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 07:33 AM

1,741 posts, read 872,849 times
The electric company I had when I was in NH had requested a 100% increase and got a 50% increase. That would have brought my winter bills up to around $300 per month in the winter. Still had to pay for propane for heating on top of that (no natural gas in my town anywhere). As much as I miss NH, I'm glad I'm not there right now. My most recent electric bill in SC (for August) was $126 with the A/C running mostly round the clock.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:08 AM

24,333 posts, read 17,072,043 times
I heard this the other day. I live in Mass. and they expect our monthly electric bill to go up $100. We heat with Oil and that is about $900 to fill the tank. Thanks Brandon.

What is odd is National Grid blamed everything BUT Biden, or maybe it is not odd at all but most of us realize that when, on day one EO's are signed that stop production of fossil fuels that there will be repercussions.

What is the Dems end goal here? Do they really want people to die? Where do they think the average family is going to come up with the extra several hundred dollars per month to stay warm, keep the lights on and eat?

It is crazy how in 20 months we can go from being an energy exporter to this? What is going to happen when Putin shuts off the gas to Europe? When Trump was President we could have sold them fuel. What will Biden do to help them? Will he continue to tap the strategic reserve until there is nothing left?

Old 09-23-2022, 10:12 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,142,556 times
Yeah, it's going to be a hard winter for a lot of households. Our natural gas price is rising 50%.

Old 09-23-2022, 06:33 PM

39,810 posts, read 26,408,051 times
Glad I just got a new wood splitter a week ago and stocked up on a few cords for winter. I feel for the people suffering under the rate increases with electric heat. Especially those that live in states with insane leadership trying to replace natural gas heating systems with electric.

Old 09-23-2022, 06:49 PM

21,083 posts, read 19,587,195 times
When people start freezing to death because they can't afford to heat their homes, will that be blamed on global warming?

Old 09-23-2022, 06:52 PM

42,681 posts, read 17,895,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
When people start freezing to death because they can't afford to heat their homes, will that be blamed on global warming?
Putin and the war in Ukraine. We can't blame the pandemic anymore

Old 09-24-2022, 01:50 PM

17,388 posts, read 9,211,900 times
Interesting Poll - it's rated A+ by Five thirty eight.

Americans Worry About Utility Bills Amid Bidenflation
Under President Biden's watch, electricity has increased by 22%, and utility/piped gas services have increased by 47%. - September 24, 2022

As Bidenflation rages like wildfire at 12.6%, two-thirds (65%) of Americans are concerned about their ability to pay utility bills. The shocking finding comes from the Investor’s Business Daily/TIPP Poll of 1,277 Americans completed early September.
Overall, energy prices have increased 43% since February 2021, the month after President Biden took office. Under President Biden’s watch, electricity is up by 22%, and utility/piped gas services are up by 47%. We computed the increases using the August CPI data but rebased to Feb 2021.
The situation is dire. Bloomberg recently reported that more than 20 million households are behind on utility bills.

They do this poll every month - only ask a few questions (age/party/income) and then the poll question. It's phone & online

"Our data analysis of 36 demographic groups shows that the sentiment is universal. Interestingly, except for one, all other 35 groups shared the concern. The only demographic group with less than 50% expressing concern was those aged 65 and up (48%).
Concerns were shared by 64% of those in the Northeast, 64% in the Midwest, 66% in the South, and 63% in the West. Further, 66% of urban, 61% of suburban, and 67% of rural respondents are worried.

The groups with over 70% concerned are aged 25-44 (74%) and households with $30K to $50K income (72%)."

The promised Dark Winter is coming

Old 09-24-2022, 01:51 PM

29,702 posts, read 24,784,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

You know it... And some democrats will continue nodding their heads and clap their hands like seals while their fellow citizens freeze and starve.

Old 09-24-2022, 01:54 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,142,556 times
It definitely doesn't bode well for retailers. Those energy bills will cut into holiday spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies