Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 09:27 AM

1,950 posts, read 2,298,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I hear you! Picking the "least terrible long-term" is unfortunately what we are called upon to do these days. Was it any different in the past? Reading the history of politics in America as much as I have suggests not by much...

I always cringe when I read Republicans have been more "fiscally responsible." The GOP has always been just as good at spending without limits as the Democrats. Just different priorities, weights and measures that have the one party pushing for spending on some things the other party doesn't value in the same way, but ultimately they are forever approving the spending bills that makes both sides happy.

Again this book I'm now reading, "Profiles in Courage" starts out by explaining how compromise is both good and bad, and no doubt a surefire way to keep the spending going as always!
If one actually takes the time to READ very detailed and non-partisan reports, which is time-consuming and hard to understand if you are not an Economics, political science, tax expert, or Finance degree professional, I agree one is not that much different than the other, There are just different percentages higher or lower in different categories from one to the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 10:13 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
If one actually takes the time to READ very detailed and non-partisan reports, which is time-consuming and hard to understand if you are not an Economics, political science, tax expert, or Finance degree professional, I agree one is not that much different than the other, There are just different percentages higher or lower in different categories from one to the next.
When it comes to the percentage of what people should know in order to be at least minimally informed and educated about what is going on in our political system, the percentages range from very poor and inadequate to average to better-than-average to very well informed and educated. Unfortunately, the percentage of Americans who fall in the former category is far larger than the latter, as survey after survey demonstrates all too clearly. Aside that sad and scary fact, there are all those Americans who don't even vote regardless how well informed or educated they may be. Even worse, how many Americans who don't seem to have a clue about what's going on who DO vote.

Such is a democratic process however. Nothing anyone can do about people voting for all the crazy reasons they do, all too often retarding the progress we should better be making on all fronts. Nothing can be done about how little time and interest people have while having to make a living, get the kids to and from school, put food on the table either. Seems we get what we deserve no matter how you look at it. Or do we? Sure seems like we should be doing better either way. On this the great majority of Americans seem to agree.

Yet...

Old 09-29-2022, 08:07 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
8 posts in a row again?

Old 09-30-2022, 09:19 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
8 posts in a row again?
When I catch up to this forum the next day, I try to comment or reply to the posts that were made since I last signed off. Sometimes more than just a few worth commenting about. Sometimes not. Okay with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies