Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 01:13 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
However, it is mighty disrespectful, and ironic, of that student to refuse to pledge allegiance to the only country in the world that gives him the explicit right to freely voice his displeasure of that country.
The only country?

The only irony here is the idea that one should be so grateful for having certain rights that it makes it morally dubious to exercise them. Freedom of speech only exists to protect the unpopular viewpoint.

"I'm so grateful that I can criticize the state!"
"So - do you?"
"Oh no! That would make me an ingrate!"

Old 09-25-2022, 01:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The teacher should have had the student explain why he didn't stand and have the other students discuss the merits of that reasoning. Teachers should be able to turn any topic into a teachable moment.
Bad idea in Florida, where if the student brings up minority disenfranchisement as a reason, it might make the white kids in the class feel bad and get the teacher fired over ‘teaching critical race theory’.

Old 09-25-2022, 01:15 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The teacher should have had the student explain why he didn't stand and have the other students discuss the merits of that reasoning. Teachers should be able to turn any topic into a teachable moment.
Or the teacher could have pointed out that this was this student's absolute right under the First Amendment and left it at that. That, too, would have been a teachable moment. But I suspect this teacher was more about control than education.

Old 09-25-2022, 01:18 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
They were 'baited'.

How many of you use racial slurs when you are baited.

None of you.

Doesn't matter what the kid does, a teacher should never use a racial ****.

I agree!

Old 09-25-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
We are the only country that provides the absolute right to freely speak, without government intervention.
I'll take "Things Americans actually believe" for $200.

Old 09-25-2022, 01:23 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'll take "Things Americans actually believe" for $200.
I swear, there are times when I'm really embarrassed to be an American. There is so much ignorance here.

Old 09-25-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I swear, there are times when I'm really embarrassed to be an American. There is so much ignorance here.
Sorry about the broad brush, there. Sometimes it just...

Old 09-25-2022, 01:45 PM

6,023 posts, read 2,846,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The only country?

The only irony here is the idea that one should be so grateful for having certain rights that it makes it morally dubious to exercise them. Freedom of speech only exists to protect the unpopular viewpoint.

"I'm so grateful that I can criticize the state!"
"So - do you?"
"Oh no! That would make me an ingrate!"
The student is just as free to voice his displeasure with this country, as I am to voice my displeasure over his displeasure.

Perhaps I should rephrase what I stated. The United States of American is the only country that truly guarantees the right to say as we feel, because it does not allow Congress to enact laws concerning speech. Most other countries provide the right to free speech, but there is a huge difference, which is why most other countries have "hate speech" laws, which means they do not have true 'freedom of speech'.

Think of the proverbial, "You cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater". Yes, you can, however, you must be willing to deal with the consequences of saying that. And, you would not be charged and criminally tried for saying it, but for the consequences that follow saying that, which is for the people who were stampeded to death.

Old 09-25-2022, 01:57 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
So........we have the right in this country to voice displeasure, but voicing displeasure is disrespectful? I wonder what our Founding Fathers would have thought of a stance like that.
Have you never had a situation where two ideals in which you believe come into conflict with each other? I believe in freedom of speech, which I believe includes the right not to speak. But I also believe that any citizen of this country that can't trouble themselves to show the least little bit of loyalty and respect to this country is an ingrate and ought to be ashamed of himself. So, which value do you follow in this case? Mouth the pledge out of respect even though you don't believe it? Or stay seated and fail to render honor to this country? I'm going to go with freedom of speech as the primary value in this case. But that doesn't mean I have to like or approve of the kid staying seated.

Old 09-25-2022, 03:09 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Have you never had a situation where two ideals in which you believe come into conflict with each other? I believe in freedom of speech, which I believe includes the right not to speak. But I also believe that any citizen of this country that can't trouble themselves to show the least little bit of loyalty and respect to this country is an ingrate and ought to be ashamed of himself. So, which value do you follow in this case? Mouth the pledge out of respect even though you don't believe it? Or stay seated and fail to render honor to this country? I'm going to go with freedom of speech as the primary value in this case. But that doesn't mean I have to like or approve of the kid staying seated.
Yeah, I don't think anyone is trying to lock the teach up in a reeducation camp. Like most jobs though, you can't really expect to keep it if you go around getting in tirades when you disagree with someone's politics while on the clock. Stick a sock in it while on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies