Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 01:01 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The fact that you think that there is only "so much ignorance here" makes me think that being embarrassed to be an American is your default setting.
You should probably stop trying to think.

Old 09-26-2022, 01:28 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
What about patriotism for your country?
Run the country in a way to make people proud of belonging to it, and patriotism comes organically. Without pledges.

To butcher a quote, a pledge is an odious thing. If forced, worthless; if voluntary, pointless.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:19 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
Quote:
the only thing embarrassing is your 'Act' of 'Being Educated' ~

What attack...where?

Asking someone if they're from 'Mexico or Guatemala' is not a racial attack.

There was no Racial Attack !

So you think the teacher should be jailed???

The Teacher was removed from the Class-room... (i guessing they won't be teaching there again). Is that consequence enough?

Its within the Teachers right to object to the Students Behavior and Actions. If a student is doing something they see as is inappropriate, the teacher has a right to object. Look it up.

That's probably why 'I am the boss' (5 people under me). I don't mind hearing my employees opinions in fact, i encourage it (Unlike the 'Authoritarian Leftoids' we have NOW HAVE in office)

...i guess your OK with a Communist Dictator ~
Seriously? You are insisting that everyone should be required to stand and pledge allegiance to the US flag every school day morning, but you call the president a communist dictator? Yikes.

Old 09-26-2022, 06:32 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Naturally a leftist perspective from you.
It's not a perspective, it's the law.

Quote:
The Teacher had a Right to get PO with that little c***t.

Teach probably served his country in battle. And now this third world juvineile immigrant has the nerve to dis-respect it.
Wow. First of all, you know nothing about the teacher's background. Second, the student stated he was born in the U.S. Third, the student has every right to stay seated during the pledge of allegiance.

Try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
If we want to claim our nation as the land of the free, then the symbol of our country cannot just be the flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his/her right to not stand at attention in front of the flag or even burn that flag in protest. Respecting and defending that is what makes us the land of the free.
I love that quote ...

Quote:
What about the 1rst amendment rights of the Teacher... What about 'Their Rights'
How were the teacher's rights violated, exactly?

Quote:
Interesting... What Religion teaches 'Dis-respect' of your own Country?... What religion teaches Dishonor your Teachers?
None. But none of that actually happened in this instance, either.

Quote:
Asking someone if they're from 'Mexico or Guatemala' is not a racial attack.
Go back and read the article again. You missed something the first time around.

Quote:
Its within the Teachers right to object to the Students Behavior and Actions. If a student is doing something they see as is inappropriate, the teacher has a right to object. Look it up.
The teacher did more than object. And the student was within his rights. Look it up.

Old 09-26-2022, 06:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Gotta keep these teacher up to date on what they can and can't enforce

Old 09-26-2022, 07:38 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Teacher thought he was defending his country? lmao

Old 09-26-2022, 07:44 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
The teacher was in the wrong. He has the right to tell the student what he thinks of the student's action, but he must also be willing to accept the consequences of that action.

However, it is mighty disrespectful, and ironic, of that student to refuse to pledge allegiance to the only country in the world that gives him the explicit right to freely voice his displeasure of that country.
That is what makes this country great. We don't need to conform or else like in China or Russia. Its not disrespectful to do things that are constitutional. I stand for the pledge. But I also support those who chose not to.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Interesting debate: does civil rights apply to all, including children?
No. Civil rights do not apply to children.

Parents, and school staff (with the legal term of in loco parentis, "in place of parents") have every right to violate children's civil rights.

Only adults have civil rights.

Old 09-26-2022, 08:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The teacher should have had the student explain why he didn't stand and have the other students discuss the merits of that reasoning. Teachers should be able to turn any topic into a teachable moment.
Heck freezes over. I TOTALLY agree with you!

Old 09-26-2022, 08:54 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:

So exercising a constitutional right - one that is, unusually, explicitly granted to minors - is inappropriate behavior?

Do tell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies