Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 08:01 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Food deserts. Exactly. Many inner city areas don't even have supermarkets. Then the residents not only get upset for businesses not coming to their neighborhood some wind up hold resentments against those who do own/operate a convenience store, bodega etc.

Then people and other businesses wind up leaving the area which leaves blocks of abandoned buildings. Then again the businesses and developers that buy and renovate those buildings/areas are accused of things like greed, gentrification etc

This is why broken window type policing is so important. Same for trash, vandalism, graffiti etc. A block or two away from that store there are probably neighborhoods with broken window syndrome which festers a lack of respect for property and others.

Don't have to make a federal case out of everything but if someone so much as litters they must be called out on it.
We sure could do a lot with all of those billions that have been sent to the Ukraine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 08:14 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
I grew up outside of Philadelphia (in New Jersey), and saw the city rapidly changing 10+ years ago after Obama and the horrible mayor after Randell left. I used to be there at least weekly, and after some incidents promised myself I would never step foot in that city again. I haven't been back, but it went to complete poop.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:20 AM

603 posts, read 445,015 times
Quote:
In the video an actual customer is wondering/asking if the employees were still going to make her sandwich or keep recording the incident.

Just another day in that area I guess.

She was unfazed.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:21 AM

9,838 posts, read 4,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I grew up outside of Philadelphia (in New Jersey), and saw the city rapidly changing 10+ years ago after Obama and the horrible mayor after Randell left. I used to be there at least weekly, and after some incidents promised myself I would never step foot in that city again. I haven't been back, but it went to complete poop.
That's the thing many of these cities were already in decline or had bad areas that simply expanded. Most politicians and longtime loyal residents always tried to hide that dirty little secret.

These mobs require some degree of mobility/transportation or willingness to travel for mayhem.This isn't just about one bad neighborhood but culture of a city.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:22 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
We sure could do a lot with all of those billions that have been sent to the Ukraine.
Exactly! Fix OUR problems, first! Then if there's any left over we can think about MAYBE helping other countries.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:22 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
That's the thing many of these cities were already in decline or had bad areas that simply expanded. Most politicians and longtime loyal residents always tried to hide that dirty little secret.

These mobs require some degree of mobility/transportation or willingness to travel for mayhem.This isn't just about one bad neighborhood but culture of a city.
And as I said earlier in this thread, the neighborhood where this happened isn't even bad - not by a long shot.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:29 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times
Places are going to need to be able to just use a bullet proof window with a slot. Nobody goes in the store. It puts the money through the slot or it doesn't get its stuff. There have been places,Ike that in s9me areas for awhile however this will have to be the new normal. Ideally you would shop using an app and then pay and they put it through the window.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:31 AM

10,434 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
And as I said earlier in this thread, the neighborhood where this happened isn't even bad - not by a long shot.
Wawa's traditionally are usually in good neighborhoods only, so either the neighborhood changed or they were all imported.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:48 AM

9,838 posts, read 4,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Places are going to need to be able to just use a bullet proof window with a slot. Nobody goes in the store. It puts the money through the slot or it doesn't get its stuff. There have been places,Ike that in s9me areas for awhile however this will have to be the new normal. Ideally you would shop using an app and then pay and they put it through the window.
Some all but insulted shall we say when a store owner puts up bullet proof glass. It's been an issue over the last decade or so in places like NYC.

https://gothamist.com/food/harlem-li...te-gentrifiers

And even in Philadelphia where the city wanted some store owners to take down their bullet proof glass

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia...afety-windows/

If not insulted owners say it can chase away customers because it's an admission the area isn't safe.

Old 09-27-2022, 09:55 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Wawa's traditionally are usually in good neighborhoods only, so either the neighborhood changed or they were all imported.
If Wawa is traditionally in good neighborhoods, then that neighborhood has changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies