Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The US is in decline
Strongly agree 150 61.48%
Agree 53 21.72%
Neutral 13 5.33%
Disagree 14 5.74%
Strongly disagree 11 4.51%
Don't know 3 1.23%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 04:24 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
What happened was Obama. He was the one who started the race war. He could have been so positive. He chose not to. He chose to fan the flames. I foolishly voted for this race baiter. Never again in my life will I pull the lever for a D. I voted D in every single election up through 2008.
He was the worst joke of a bloke we ever had in office...

Old 10-15-2022, 04:25 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
What happened was Obama. He was the one who started the race war. He could have been so positive. He chose not to. He chose to fan the flames. I foolishly voted for this race baiter. Never again in my life will I pull the lever for a D. I voted D in every single election up through 2008.
I disagree. I saw plenty of divisiveness and tension before Obama. I was living in Georgia when all of that Confederate controversy was going on. I remember when the Dixie Chicks got canceled. Racial violence in the L.A. area between Blacks and Mexicans. All the divisiveness regarding the wars in the Middle East. I was also on the receiving end of some contempt myself during the pre-Obama days.

Old 10-15-2022, 04:32 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I disagree. I saw plenty of divisiveness and tension before Obama. I was living in Georgia when all of that Confederate controversy was going on. I remember when the Dixie Chicks got canceled. Racial violence in the L.A. area between Blacks and Mexicans. All the divisiveness regarding the wars in the Middle East. I was also on the receiving end of some contempt myself during the pre-Obama days.
I have no doubt you do. I got two reps for that post and it was only up for 5 minutes. I am guessing more people agree with me than you.

Old 10-15-2022, 04:33 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,248,697 times
Quote:
Almost my story to a T. I voted for occasional Repubs mostly down ballot but almost always voted Democrat. I also voted for Obama in 2008 and by 2010 I fully grasped what a huge error it was. I entirely agree. Obama took a country that was still hanging together after 9/11 and systematically worked to tear it apart. In 2007 I liked the guy. By 2010 I loathed him. I will never vote for a D again nor will I ever trust one.

Old 10-15-2022, 04:35 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
Almost my story to a T. I voted for occasional Repubs mostly down ballot but almost always voted Democrat. I also voted for Obama in 2008 and by 2010 I fully grasped what a huge error it was. I entirely agree. Obama took a country that was still hanging together after 9/11 and systematically worked to tear it apart. In 2007 I liked the guy. By 2010 I loathed him. I will never vote for a D again nor will I ever trust one.
I hear this story over and over. The only difference is how long it took people to see the light. I know a handful of people who were Republicans from way back. But most have a story similar to ours. And most people figured it out during Obama. My sister didn't. She buried her head in the sand clear up to the point before the election where she heard about Hunter Biden's laptop. And now she is paying attention.

Old 10-15-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I have no doubt you do. I got two reps for that post and it was only up for 5 minutes. I am guessing more people agree with me than you.
Well, I don't care how many reps your post got. I'm speaking from what I saw and experienced with my own eyes. I find myself at loggerheads with alot of posters on city-data.

Old 10-15-2022, 04:38 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Outwardly, I don't think that much has changed. Americans are usually polite even to people they hate. It's beneficial to get along with people. It's something capitalism teaches us. Only the people who have never had a customer service job or worked in a large company are rude in public.

Main problem is that politics has completely taken over. Until about 2009, almost no one talked about politics except in an election year. Even then, most people didn't care that much as long as gas was cheap and the economy was doing good. When people complained about politics, they were more complaining about the politicians than the people who voted for them.

In my view the problem is that there has been a kind of moral divergence. People don't just disagree with each other, they see each other as bad people, evil people.

Why would this be sucking rebellion out of the people? Wouldn't it be stirring rebellion/civil war?

From 1920 all the way till 1965, it was virtually impossible to immigrate to the United States. The foreign-born population fell from 15% to 4%. It is now almost 15% again(probably 20-25% with the illegals).
That's when my grandmother immigrated to the US from Ireland ... in the 1920's. However my response about "beginning in the 60's" was a response to when did the decline in America started.

Old 10-15-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
That's when my grandmother immigrated to the US from Ireland ... in the 1920's. However my response about "beginning in the 60's" was a response to when did the decline in America started.
I notice that when some people keep speaking about the "decline of America", the 1960s is the top decade that gets reference. This is how I see things. For one particular segment of society, America never was a nice place. It was the best they were going to get, but it still fell short of what everyone else had. For someone like me, any time after the 1960s is the best time to be in America. Anytime from the 1960s and before, NO, NO, 1 MILLION TIMES, NO!!

Old 10-15-2022, 04:55 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I notice that when some people keep speaking about the "decline of America", the 1960s is the top decade that gets reference. This is how I see things. For one particular segment of society, America never was a nice place. It was the best they were going to get, but it still fell short of what everyone else had. For someone like me, any time after the 1960s is the best time to be in America. Anytime from the 1960s and before, NO, NO, 1 MILLION TIMES, NO!!
No one was ever guaranteed outcome. Opportunities provided? yes. Equal? no. and yet where do people want to STILL immigrate to? and that's rhetorical.

The great civilizations of time all fail from the inside. Why? Well hard times produce good men. Good men produce good times. Good times produce weak men. Weak men produce hard times.

Rinse-Lather-Repeat

Old 10-15-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
No one was ever guaranteed outcome. Opportunities provided? yes. Equal? no. and yet where do people want to STILL immigrate to? and that's rhetorical.

The great civilizations of time all fail from the inside. Why? Well hard times produce good men. Good men produce good times. Good times produce weak men. Weak men produce hard times.

Rinse-Lather-Repeat
I wasn't talking about immigrants. And I wasn't talking about outcome. If you were Black up to the 1960s, Opportunities weren't guaranteed either. Why do you think the Civil Rights Movement got started. I don't see America as being in decline. I look at things as "same as it ever was". And being Black, I'd rather live in 2022 than anytime from the 1960s and before. I'm far more free in this time than in the 1960s. I personally have more opportunities in 2022 than I would have had in 1965. I can't see things the way you do. I look at America through the lens of where I would stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies