Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2022, 08:06 AM

43,189 posts, read 18,342,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Lee County Sheriff is reporting hundreds dead due to the surge. Sorry.

This is news as of 7:30am this morning.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ities-hundreds
It’s not yet clear how many fatalities or injuries have been sustained due to Ian, and there have not been any reports or numbers from state officials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 08:11 AM

89,083 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
How about a little less marketing and more for coverage? That's what they are in business for - right?

Does State Farm need to be sponsoring the NBA? Does the All State logo need to be on the nets behind the field goal posts in college football?

How about a little less commercials? We all see plenty of Jake from State Farm... the Liberty EMU... mayhem man from AllState...
Not related, but I also think pharmaceutical companies should STOP advertising prescription meds. MDs/NPs/PAs/etc. prescribe meds based on need, not because someone saw a TV ad and just has to have it.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:19 AM

18,490 posts, read 8,314,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957
Lee County Sheriff is reporting hundreds dead due to the surge. Sorry.
hysterical bullcrap.......

there have been no confirmed deaths at all when he said that....that was him "guessing"

Old 09-29-2022, 08:31 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,867,648 times
I will say that even with high quality drones, it can take a while to gain access or visually inspect the worst impact areas after the storm.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:47 AM

30,195 posts, read 11,840,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
How about a little less marketing and more for coverage? That's what they are in business for - right?

Does State Farm need to be sponsoring the NBA? Does the All State logo need to be on the nets behind the field goal posts in college football?

How about a little less commercials? We all see plenty of Jake from State Farm... the Liberty EMU... mayhem man from AllState...
That is how you attract more business. Ideally it generates a lot more revenue than it costs. I am sure they have that figured out.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:50 AM

30,195 posts, read 11,840,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
hysterical bullcrap.......

there have been no confirmed deaths at all when he said that....that was him "guessing"
After Hurricane Ike there were numerous reports of lots of bodies floating in Galveston Bay. Thousands stayed behind to ride out the storm and whole neighborhoods no longer had houses left.

Yet the official reports were very few fatalities.

Not sure what to believe with this. I read 60k stayed behind near the coast in Florida where Ian caused the greatest damage.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...-s-1608017.php

Old 09-29-2022, 09:16 AM

78,523 posts, read 60,702,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I heard the hundreds dead figure isn't true. It was on the news but Desantis so far has said two dead and I think hundreds dead was debunked. Now I am not saying there isn't hundreds dead just those hundreds.
Thanks, I should know better than to trust any early news reporting but since the Sheriff said it I gave it credence.

Hopefully the number remains low but hearing a lot of stories from people that hunkered down and road it out is making me nervous.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:32 AM

78,523 posts, read 60,702,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
And yet I never heard of DeSantis saying a word about the millions of Hurricane Michael relief funds stolen by local government officials- many of who have gone to jail for the fraud- as Panama City residents that were supposed to be helped by them were left homeless with a debris-filled lot where their homes used to be.

But then Panama City politics are dominated by Republicans and he’s not going to call out his own.
Just did a quick google and he suspended the Mayor in one article.

You might want to create a stronger argument than "I never heard" and then try to leverage that by an act of omniscience into reality.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:46 AM

29,605 posts, read 16,577,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just did a quick google and he suspended the Mayor in one article.

You might want to create a stronger argument than "I never heard" and then try to leverage that by an act of omniscience into reality.
LOL, suspending a mayor isnt "doing something"

https://www.newsherald.com/story/new...e/10282043002/

Quote:
PANAMA CITY — GAC Contractors, a local company whose top executives include former House Speaker Allan Bense, bilked “millions of dollars” from local governments in 2018 when it was contracted to clean up debris caused by Hurricane Michael, newly released court documents from an ongoing federal investigation show.

There seem to be multiple investigations going on at once. Panama City is bordered by other smaller cities, so a bunch of the articles are labeled as "Panama City" but are talking about Lynn Haven, Springfield and Parker( among others)

business leaders, state senators, city managers, and mayors from all of these municipalities are under investigation for fraud.

I didnt even know it was this bad.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:57 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,995,137 times
The universe always has a way of showing how minuscule and worthless we really are

Honestly with the way this climate change is going I wouldn’t want to live anywhere near water at this point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies