Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2022, 08:24 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Nothing wrong with asking questions

To answer it.

You cant evacuate 15 million people in 3 days. even if you just evacuated the ones near landfall, a rough count of that is still 2 million.

you also have hospitals that cant move patients as well as shelters.

And you cant cut out power because things happen, like the storm shifting and tornados spawning from the storm .

it makes more sense for the power to stay on than be cut off.
I lived on the Texas coast for years and evacuated for Hurricane Ike back in 2007. I don't know how hard it is to shut off the power or how fast they can do it but when its getting close you have a good idea where it will make landfall and where the storm surge and strong winds will be. Storm surge is just low lying areas. That is easy to predict. Even with an 18 foot surge anything above that elevation won't need to worry about that. What trees will knock down which power lines is not easy to predict but where near hurricane force winds are expected is a good guide.

Power will go out at hospitals but they have backup power. As do other important places. So cutting off power won't matter. But to have live wires all over when no one has power working makes no sense. And others have said they do rolling blackouts so it can be done.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 09-28-2022 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 08:54 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So I am looking at video of a house in Florida that burned down because a power transformer fell on the house. First responders are worried about downed power lines as they begin to get out into the streets.

Is there not a way for the power company to shut all the power off before the storm hits to the whole region? People are suppose to be evacuated and the power will go out at some point anyways. Seems like it would be smarter. Pardon if I am being naive and that is not possible.
Not that many places you can put that many people, as in many places the population along the shoreline has increased exponential over the last few decades. It was a bad decision driven by real estate development and now we are paying the price. The plan is to constantly rebuild these coastal communities, there needs to be a real change in policy and a real debate.

Unexplained how the Naples fire department didn’t much be their trucks and resources away from the storm surge with all the predictions, several vehicles destroyed.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:56 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
The politics will start when Governor DeSantis starts contacting FEMA and requests assistance. Lets see how slow the response is and if Democrats try to block relief that Floridians pay federal taxes to receive.
DeSantis is already saying the standard "we all need to work together, regardless of party lines" BUT:

"Just a reminder to New York...Marco Rubio and Ron DeSantis (who was in Congress at the time) voted against aid for Hurricane Sandy," New York State Assembly member Yuh-Line Niou tweeted on Wednesday.
https://www.newsweek.com/hurricane-i...sponse-1747322

The northeast pays taxes too and DeSantis and Rubio didn't care then. Waiting for reporters to ask DeSantis and Rubio directly on that.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:20 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I lived on the Texas coast for years and evacuated for Hurricane Ike back in 2007. I don't know how hard it is to shut off the power or how fast they can do it but when its getting close you have a good idea where it will make landfall and where the storm surge and strong winds will be. Storm surge is just low lying areas. That is easy to predict. Even with an 18 foot surge anything above that elevation won't need to worry about that. What trees will knock down which power lines is not easy to predict but where near hurricane force winds are expected is a good guide.

Power will go out at hospitals but they have backup power. As do other important places. So cutting off power won't matter. But to have live wires all over when no one has power working makes no sense. And others have said they do rolling blackouts so it can be done.
back up power = natural gas powered generators or gasoline powered. You would be cutting off all those lines when you cut power as well. and then if power is down for days, you used up more resources

and this storm is an example of a few hundred miles changing everything. 2 days ago, a Tampa direct hit means Ft Meyers got minimal winds and rain, it shifted and now got the full force. they didnt have time to get everyone out.

Old 09-28-2022, 10:39 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
DeSantis is already saying the standard "we all need to work together, regardless of party lines" BUT:

"Just a reminder to New York...Marco Rubio and Ron DeSantis (who was in Congress at the time) voted against aid for Hurricane Sandy," New York State Assembly member Yuh-Line Niou tweeted on Wednesday.
https://www.newsweek.com/hurricane-i...sponse-1747322

The northeast pays taxes too and DeSantis and Rubio didn't care then. Waiting for reporters to ask DeSantis and Rubio directly on that.
His response from your article...

In a 2013 interview with The Florida Times-Union, DeSantis defended his vote, saying that while he sympathized with the victims of Hurricane Sandy, the bill "was excessive" and fiscally irresponsible.

"If a hurricane came here, I would want any relief plan to be fiscally responsible," DeSantis said at the time. "I would not want to add extra things and say that because this is a vehicle that's moving, let's try to Christmas tree it out."

In other words - disaster relief is not to be a blank check for the whims of government.

He isn't hating on New York.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
His response from your article...

In a 2013 interview with The Florida Times-Union, DeSantis defended his vote, saying that while he sympathized with the victims of Hurricane Sandy, the bill "was excessive" and fiscally irresponsible.

"If a hurricane came here, I would want any relief plan to be fiscally responsible," DeSantis said at the time. "I would not want to add extra things and say that because this is a vehicle that's moving, let's try to Christmas tree it out."

In other words - disaster relief is not to be a blank check for the whims of government.

He isn't hating on New York.
I'm sure whatever Florida gets will be based on very serious fiscal responsibility. And if it takes a long time to work that out, he will understand since the Northeast had to wait a while too. He wasted a lot of time on culture wars instead of addressing things that actually matter like the massive home insurance problems Florida has due to so many insurance companies pulling out of Florida from all the storm claims. With Hurricane Ian, the situation will only get worse.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I'm sure whatever Florida gets will be based on very serious fiscal responsibility. And if it takes a long time to work that out, he will understand since the Northeast had to wait a while too. He wasted a lot of time on culture wars instead of addressing things that actually matter like the major home insurance problems Florida has due to so many insurance companies pulling out of Florida. With Hurricane Ian, the situation will only get worse.
The culture doesn't matter... noted

What's he supposed to do with insurance companies leaving? They are free to do so - even though if I paid into the pool for years - I would not be happy.

It's a risk/reward thing and they don't want to pay claims for hurricanes.

What should the governor do?

Old 09-28-2022, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The culture doesn't matter... noted

What's he supposed to do with insurance companies leaving? They are free to do so - even though if I paid into the pool for years - I would not be happy.

It's a risk/reward thing and they don't want to pay claims for hurricanes.

What should the governor do?
What happens when there's no insurance companies and no one can get a mortgage in Florida without home insurance? All the Florida storms have resulted in what could be a huge disaster for Florida and Ian isn't going to help. That will be Florida's problem, not the rest of the country. If he thought it was important to deny assistance to the Northeast when 233 people died due to fiscal concerns, he should really be laser focused on the fiscal concerns that are about to land on his desk with the Florida insurance disaster looming. Mr. fiscal responsibility should know that is not a federal problem.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:38 PM

Quote:
What happens when there's no insurance companies and no one can get a mortgage in Florida without home insurance? All the Florida storms have resulted in what could be a huge disaster for Florida and Ian isn't going to help. That will be Florida's problem, not the rest of the country. If he thought it was important to deny assistance to the Northeast when 233 people died due to fiscal concerns, he should really be laser focused on the fiscal concerns that are about to land on his desk with the Florida insurance disaster looming. Mr. fiscal responsibility should know that is not a federal problem.
Do you want him to figure it out for the people of Florida or fail?

I'm out for the night.

Old 09-29-2022, 12:24 AM

8,229 posts, read 3,490,786 times
For some people every little sniffle, raindrop, or snowflake is a reason to shut down the world and make people stop living.

People who live in Florida generally are used to hurricanes and know how to deal with them. They will be fine. It's not a good reason to make people stop living a good life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies