Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2022, 01:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

There seem to be multiple investigations going on at once. Panama City is bordered by other smaller cities, so a bunch of the articles are labeled as "Panama City" but are talking about Lynn Haven, Springfield and Parker( among others)

business leaders, state senators, city managers, and mayors from all of these municipalities are under investigation for fraud.

I didnt even know it was this bad.
IIRC, bigwigs at Bay County Schools were also involved in that mess. And investigations are still going on close to four years after the storm.

Such Republican Party values of stealing from people at their most vulnerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'll never understand why they don't bury the power lines. Granted, it would be more expensive up front. But surely it would be far cheaper over the long run, not to mention far less disruptive, then having to repeatedly rebuild the above-ground grid after every hurricane.
Most new subdivisions now seem to be built with underground lines. The problems are with above ground trunk lines (though probably easier to fix one giant trunk line than dozens of smaller lines) and older neighborhoods where it would be very expensive to retrofit and bury, doubly so for barrier islands prone to storm surge and inland areas prone ot sinkholes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 01:21 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
People should not be allowed to develop and inhabit barrier islands. Period.
It’s never if, it’s when, a catastrophic event occurs.
What’s really disgusting is, most of these barrier island communities are elitist enclaves.
If they can afford million dollar homes on some exclusive island community they should also be able to assume the risk and afford to rebuild/repair themselves and not utilize tax payer money. If all this climate change global whatever rising sea level stuff is real, then why continue to allow development of these vulnerable areas? Yeah we know why.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:23 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
What’s really disgusting is, most of these barrier island communities are elitist enclaves.
If they can afford million dollar homes on some exclusive island community they should also be able to assume the risk and afford to rebuild/repair themselves and not utilize tax payer money. If all this climate change global whatever rising sea level stuff is real, then why continue to allow development of these vulnerable areas? Yeah we know why.
I vacationed plenty of times on Sanibel Island. Nobody stopped me and I'm not a rich elitist.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I vacationed plenty of times on Sanibel Island. Nobody stopped me and I'm not a rich elitist.
Why would you be stopped?

Btw…cheapest free standing home on Sanibel is 800k.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:37 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:

There are also some areas that are so prone to surge and erosion that the feds won’t touch them. The Cape San Blas area southeast of Panama City Beach is like that as is, IIRC, most of nearby St. George Island.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:41 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Why would you be stopped?

Btw…cheapest free standing home on Sanibel is 800k.
Many might be vacation rental homes...then they are investments.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Many might be vacation rental homes...then they are investments.
Ok you win.

Old 09-29-2022, 02:04 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
The drawback is that living too far from water is also dangerous. Water, or lack thereof, is going to become a major issue in this country in the next few decades.
I think they're probably referring to the ocean.

Old 09-29-2022, 02:12 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
I don't go in for the class warfare undertone of this post, but I do agree that barrier islands should remain undeveloped. The whole reason why God put barrier islands in place was to protect the mainland from storm surges. They should be left alone to perform that function. The only "development" that should occur on them is roads and parking lots to provide beach access. The entirety of the islands should be set aside as park land.

As for the ones that are already developed, no further development should be allowed. Let attrition do the rest to clear them out.

Old 09-29-2022, 02:31 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Growing up, we used to vacation at Periwinkle Park campground on Sanibel. A couple of times we stayed at the cottages just before Captiva Island. Great memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies