Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2022, 10:28 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Liability for what doesn't even make sense your replies area joke and very entertaining.
They don’t make sense to you because DeSantis has hurt hurt your feelings so badly that you ignore it. If you’re so concerned with the cost, why not bring them into your home, donate to help them, get them on their feet, etc…? You’re in favor of them being brought into the country after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 10:29 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
When did Daytona Beach become a barrier island?????
or Myrtle Beach, SC? Heck, I doubt Hilton Head, given it's size, would generally be called a barrier island.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:29 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
My home is right on the ocean in Miami Beach. I see the ocean from all east facing windows in my place, and can hear the waves crash (big waves today, great surf!) as I write this.

I of course pay to insure my property, if that's not enough, I will pay more. But if a hurricane comes and flattens my place (it's built to withstand a cat 5 but anything can happen!), I do expect insurance compensation as this is what I paid for.

We as Floridans can figure this out, it may require for us to set aside some tax dollars from tourists to subsidize our insurance.

But as far as I'm concerned, if I could not own a home on the ocean, I would not have a home in Florida. Besides the ocean, there is nothing beautiful about this state (imo).
You pay for insurance so yes you should get what you paid for.
That said, you and your fellow residents that want to live there should pay for all the infrastructure as well...all the highways that need rebuilt...the bridges that need rebuilt (I'm sure if you are ocean front, you cross over the Intracoastal or Biscayne Bay)...power lines (maybe the whole state should bury them)...water infrastructure and all of that.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:34 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
You pay for insurance so yes you should get what you paid for.
That said, you and your fellow residents that want to live there should pay for all the infrastructure as well...all the highways that need rebuilt...the bridges that need rebuilt (I'm sure if you are ocean front, you cross over the Intracoastal or Biscayne Bay)...power lines (maybe the whole state should bury them)...water infrastructure and all of that.
It's not just the residents who use that infrastructure but also many Floridians who work or play in these areas, not to mention tourists who bring revenue to the state. No one would visit Florida if there were no beaches here.

So this should be the responsibility of all Floridians.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:38 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
...Or Florida can adopt mandatory building codes that require coastal homes & structures to be built of high quality materials that can resist Cat 5 winds with ground floor levels that are reserved for parking/storage only.
are you familiar with FL building codes?

I am not, but I know they were improved dramatically after Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:40 AM

57,288 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

Debris removal is actually pretty straightforward, if eye-wateringly expensive. Bay County, Florida (population about 180K) spent close to $100 million on debris removal after Hurricane Michael. The preliminary sweep can take 2-3 months and vegetation, which can be burned, is separated out from construction debris that has to be handled in other means.

Flooded cars will be declared totaled by the insurance company. Some will end up in junk yards. Many will be cleaned up and sent back into the used car realm, where the electrical issues from being submerged will cause grief for their new owners for years to come. I don’t care how good the price is, if the Carfax report shows the car was previously titled in SW Florida in 2022, avoid it at all costs. As far as boats go, the ones that are given over to the insurance companies often end up going to auction, even if there are only pieces of boats left. I remember seeing notices for a few of those kinds of auctions around Destin after Ivan.
Removal is one thing, it will take time but where are they going to truck these mountains of garbage.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:45 AM

57,288 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
Through Floridian taxpayer $$$, in case you didn't see the exchange. We as a state have to come up with a solution than turning to FEMA for every hurricane.
The governor and senators from Florida have been fighting increases in flood insurance for decades, a majority of homes are paying far below their commensurate risk level. I don't see Floridians accepting increased taxes to subsidize at risk properties. Besides the risk level increases every year. Asking residents that live in the interior of Florida in mobile homes to pay for at risk property, I don't think so.

Last edited by Goodnight; 09-30-2022 at 10:55 AM..

Old 09-30-2022, 11:11 AM

13,258 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Tampa Bay emptied out before the storm you know all that water is going to come back and flood.

Old 09-30-2022, 11:17 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Tampa Bay emptied out before the storm you know all that water is going to come back and flood.

Not the first time it’s happened and the water is already back. No worries.

Old 09-30-2022, 11:30 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I can not imagine the cost of flood ins in FL....does anyone have a figure for their home...just any home if fine.
Thank you. (My thought is, it is so expensive people forgo it and take the gamble.)
I read the other day that the average cost in Florida is about $4300 per year but many regular homeowners have bills up to $8000 if they are cancelled and have to use the state plan. It is getting quite common to be cancelled (non-renewed) as insurers go bankrupt from lawsuits or pull out.

Unfortunately all of us who have insurance from one of the companies that still write policies in Florida also pay in higher premiums as the costs are passed to the insured base. Some of those include Travelers, State Farm and Allstate. It might be a good idea to consider changing to a company that does not have coastal exposure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies