Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2022, 04:53 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Of course it will, as it’s not anywhere near the entire state that’s affected. We’ll be there starting November 1 until May depending on PA weather.

What are these numerous reasons?
I think the Hurricane will have an effect on the housing market, maybe scare some people out of the state, maybe scare some potential new residents into reconsidering moving into the state. How the insurance issue will affect the rebuild, how fast the tourism market can rebuild and rebound, etc…
Hell, people got past Andrew I know the same will eventually happen with Ian. I just think this is going to be a nasty bump in the road. On top of everything else, we’re apparently on the verge of a recession. I have zero doubt FL will bounce back, I just think it’s going to be a poop show for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 04:59 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I think the Hurricane will have an effect on the housing market, maybe scare some people out of the state, maybe scare some potential new residents into reconsidering moving into the state. How the insurance issue will affect the rebuild, how fast the tourism market can rebuild and rebound, etc…
Hell, people got past Andrew I know the same will eventually happen with Ian. I just think this is going to be a nasty bump in the road. On top of everything else, we’re apparently on the verge of a recession. I have zero doubt FL will bounce back, I just think it’s going to be a poop show for a while.
Over 330k have moved to Florida in the last few years with 900-1000 moving there every week, though some reports are even more. Housing has skyrocketed and there’s construction going on most everywhere. People understand the consequences of hurricanes as they’re nothing new. Price you pay for paradise is a phrase often used down there. Tourism will simply move to areas unaffected and that’s plenty of areas. It’ll be a very small bump like it always is with such an occurrence.

Old 09-30-2022, 05:04 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It’ll absolutely rebound at some point. No doubt.
But I think the next few years will be rough for numerous reasons.
This isn’t Floridas first Hurricane.

Old 09-30-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Or it’s last. I get it.

Old 09-30-2022, 05:06 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Amazing how folks act like it is. You’d think the whole state was underwater and there was nowhere to go.

Old 09-30-2022, 05:16 PM

1,212 posts, read 733,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

... Dome housing or wouldn't eliminate flood damage, but high winds would go around them instead of through them.

... Something on this order built on site with a steel frame covered with chicken wire and concrete lie they use for concrete sailboats would be ideal to minimize damage from large storms. I'd love to hear from any engineers here as to the feasibility of the design.

Houses on piers have a chance of surviving hurricane storm surge. But I prefer 304L to wood or concrete. However, 304L can't be used at ocean front with daily salt-air. Now 304L can be set directly in concrete footings which makes construction easy and 304L can be exposed to fresh water daily.

For high wind I would definitely have rounded corners on the house and a hip-roof on the top. For 150 MPH winds the house should be round, or octagon, and then the roof shape for a round house is obvious geometry with a center-point column support.

For a steel frame house there are structural shapes in both carbon steel and in 304L and each type bolts to the same type. Now 304L must use 18-8 nuts, bolts, and washers. Or light-gauge steel is sheet-steel bent to shape with a thickness of 0.0625" or less. Light-gauge steel is connected with metal screws. Light-gauge steel can be carbon-steel, galvanized steel, 409, 430, or 304. Well, why not 409 as the least expensive SS ?

Now 409, 430, and 304L can stand in the weather while waiting for house repairs or while a project house is being slowly constructed.

For ordinary flooding, the lower level of a house should be recreational room or garage only. Concrete is obvious for the lower level but a 304L frame could have 304L mesh and then stucco on the mesh. The stucco is on the inside of the lower level of the house that is at risk of flooding.

The interesting situation is that a two-story house on a slab foundation can replace lower-level lumber studs with 304L 2-by-2 square tubes. Well, weld a 304L mounting plate to the bottom of the 304L tube and weld a 304L L-angle to the top of the tube. Then a second-story floor-joist-end sits on an L-angle and bolts to the side of it. Of course buy the 304L tubes, by the truckload, wholesale in 20' foot lengths. And actually, the less expensive 409 is available in round tubes.

Or a house on a crawlspace can be raised higher

Last edited by T Block; 09-30-2022 at 05:47 PM..

Old 09-30-2022, 06:23 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
My town next to Fort Myers has stores opening already. In my neighborhood there was no flooding but our house is mitigated for wind at 130 mph. the damage I saw as I rode around was shingles off the roof and just about every fence was blown down. No structural damage to any of the homes.

There was horrific winds something that went on for hours and hours. I looked out and saw huge pieces of fencing high in the air coming down in my yard. The booms, cracks were constant and it sounded like two freight trains.. after all that the next day all us neighbors came together and we spoke and we were all grateful because nobody really sustained anything as bad as those that were in the storm surge. I went through superstorm Sandy ....that was a piece of cake compared to Ian.

Old 09-30-2022, 06:23 PM

1,212 posts, read 733,304 times
Dozens of forecasters were drawing storm paths that are currently hooking East as they move North.

The hurricane that hit PR hooked to miss Florida.

This current hurricane formed lower in the Caribbean and the hook was drawn to hit the West coast of Florida.

I think that the hurricane reaching category-4 just before landfall is how the citizens were fooled.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One woman, in the news, stood on her bed with water up to her shoulders. The county told her that they weren't currently responding to emergency calls. But the so-called Cajun Navy was in the loop and got to her after several hours.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by T Block; 09-30-2022 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-30-2022, 06:44 PM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Many did. I have two generators I also have 16 cases of 40 bottles of water in each case. I filled up two bathtubs with water. I have a camp stove with 20 canisters of propane to fuel it. I have a grill with two large canisters of propane. I cooked before it came so I could have easy heat up good food to eat. My neighbors were ready also. there are natural disasters everywhere whether it's earthquakes rain storms tornadoes hurricanes and straight line winds flooding and has been happening for centuries. the only difference is we are so much more populated and many more homes can be damaged. it is called natural disasters.
I see where the residents that decided to remain in Sanibel are already out of water and food, many unlike yourself ignore the warnings and just hope for the best. The population in these areas has increased exponentially over the last 50 years.

Last edited by Goodnight; 09-30-2022 at 07:38 PM..

Old 09-30-2022, 07:11 PM

Oddly enough, none of my west coast peeps had any significant damage.
And I got friends/family in Venice, North Port, Fort Meyers, Naples, Bradenton, St. Pete, Tampa. Actually the majority of my family and friends coincidentally live right along the flight path for Ian. Almost eerily coincidental. But anyway, thankfully, nobody was hurt, and nobody sustained substantial damage. None experienced any flooding into their homes.
It was mostly a few shingles, busted up fences, a carport, trees down, misc debris in the yard, silly stuff. My FIL had a window blown out. But…they all have said how fortunate THEY were because their communities literally look like Hiroshima after the blast. My SIL and aunt & uncle in Fort Meyers are talking about bailing out. After this storm and the ever lingering thought that it could happen again and then not being as lucky, they’re saying they want to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies