Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 12:56 PM

62,949 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There is no one source for the problem, it depends on the location and other factors. Here for example, immigrants have played a big part. Our newest neighbors are one family from the middle east, four families from India. All are working at Amazon in Seattle. The median home here is now $1.3 million (after dropping in the last couple of months).

Where some family live on the Olympic Peninsula, prices have not risen much at all. One relative bought his house on 1/2 acre in 2017 for $255k, now valued at only $437k. In that same time ours went from $733k to $1.6 million.
It's not legal immigrants that are the problem but the millions of illegal aliens that are taking up all the affordable housing and houses where they do so by living several to a household.

Old 09-27-2022, 12:58 PM

4,298 posts, read 1,556,670 times
No.

This is what happens in times of financial crises, people look for scapegoats and it's usually a group that's in a fairly weak position that ends up finding themselves in the crosshairs of public opinion. Prejudice burns brighter when it's all we have to burn.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:08 PM

9,870 posts, read 4,646,105 times
High uncontrolled immigration can help contribute to a low supply of lower priced housing but is not the only cause.

Happened in south Florida during the first boom. Used to be able to get cheap rents off the beach in old snow bird motels or seasonal apartments. The boom created a need for contractors and labor of all kinds. Immigrants willing to sleep 6-8 in a hotel room. efficiency or apartment ment for 2-4 people tops.

Immigrant groups are tight and frequently will buy the home or rent the apt for others. Makes it harder for low income individuals and families to find cheap housing. I've seen in non tourist areas over the last decade in particular. Saw a single home parking 3-4 pick up trucks/vans plus a car every night.

Last edited by anononcty; 09-27-2022 at 01:21 PM..

Old 09-27-2022, 01:15 PM

21,877 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am not anti-immigrant. I have two immigrant ex wives and extended family. However all I have read the past few years is new home construction has not kept up with the population. And many major cities have run out of space to build or discourage it. And that has put pressure on home prices and rents. Simple supply and demand at work.

Has it been a mistake to let so many people come to this country? Legally or illegally and now that we are faced with high inflation coupled with a housing shortage and sky high home prices and rents that is pushing many to end up homeless. Would it have been much smarter a decade or so back to halt most immigration? Would home prices and rents be more affordable today if we had done that?
Go check out a subdivision under construction near you and see who is building the houses and what language they're speaking. If it's anything like here you pretty much have your answer. Yes, they drive up demand. On the other hand without immigrants I don't think we'd have built a house in California. Last time I (briefly) worked construction was 20 years ago for a summer doing roofing, mostly new subdivisions. I learned more Spanish in three months than two years of high school, that's for damn sure.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:53 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Its effecting mostly black people.
Actually, lower income people and those that count on public housing. Once the illegal aliens and asylumees start dropping anchor babies, they qualify for housing, and step in front with those babies that we paid to deliver and now will raise. Many of these babies appear conceived by immaculate conception with no father present, at least when it comes to "income". Such a sham!

Now, some that actually work, get together and buy a house. They will live several families to one single family home, making all rooms into bedrooms (per our realtor in a town with a huge number of illegals - we don't live there anymore). That could impact housing prices with the combined incomes, and welfare the anchor babies bring in, they can pay more.

Also, they are willing to rent "slum" properties, so that could impact rent. One large meat production facility has the trashiest trailer park next door, I mean, trailers from the 1960s all rundown, but within walking distance of the factory. Whoever owns that makes some serious money, and I guess these are the kind of people that celebrate illegal alien presence.

But, have no fear, as they move in, "flight" (no longer "white flight" as every race of citizen wants to get away from 3rd world living conditions brought by illegal aliens), prices drop in their areas after that.

SW AZ to SE KS (meat and dog food), think I don't know illegal aliens and their impact on our country? I know it from the crime, to contributing to poor schools, to impacting nearly everything in the area where they "nest".

So, yes, it will affect housing, more for the lower income individuals and elderly than those that celebrate the presence of these people who need to be sent packing!

I actually saw English speaking roofers last week for the first time in 3 decades! There is a long waiting list, as many do not want illegals on their property, count me in!

Old 09-27-2022, 02:05 PM

7,333 posts, read 3,812,806 times
Quote:
Illegals rent both apartments and houses. They decrease available housing and drive up prices. I do agree that other factors like investors buying up homes also decreases available housing. I am not big on government interference but corning markets should not be allowed.
They also buy homes, but pay cash since they can't get a mortgage (for now, at least. )

Old 09-27-2022, 02:16 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Go check out a subdivision under construction near you and see who is building the houses and what language they're speaking. If it's anything like here you pretty much have your answer. Yes, they drive up demand. On the other hand without immigrants I don't think we'd have built a house in California. Last time I (briefly) worked construction was 20 years ago for a summer doing roofing, mostly new subdivisions. I learned more Spanish in three months than two years of high school, that's for damn sure.
I am in rural Oklahoma. Almost all the construction people are white. McDonalds. All the workers are white or black. But I do get it. White blue collar workers in California left for elsewhere. The high cost of living and immigrants willing to take lower wages pushed them out

Old 09-27-2022, 02:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not legal immigrants that are the problem but the millions of illegal aliens that are taking up all the affordable housing and houses where they do so by living several to a household.
The problem is in fact legal immigrants driving up prices in suburban areas near major employers. The illegals are only driving up prices in the big cities where there is rent that they can afford on their fast food and construction labor jobs. Like I said, it varies by location. Another factor in Seattle is the city's Covid law preventing landlords from evicting tenants for non-payment of rent. Now that it has been ended, they are either selling their property or raising rent to try and recover what they lost. I'm in favor of enforcing immigration laws and deporting illegals, but they are not the only reason for the high cost of housing.

Old 09-27-2022, 03:00 PM

7,333 posts, read 3,812,806 times
Quote:
I am in rural Oklahoma. Almost all the construction people are white. McDonalds. All the workers are white or black. But I do get it. White blue collar workers in California left for elsewhere. The high cost of living and immigrants willing to take lower wages pushed them out
In the California construction industry, it wasn't immigrants who undercut the white construction workforce, it was illegal aliens. A not so fine distinction you failed to make.

Old 09-27-2022, 03:05 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,648 times
I'm pretty sure someone could dig up a graph that shows a correlation between population growth (whether they are legal immigrants/workers, the undocumented, or transplants) and housing costs. Once a metro builds out far enough, there simply isn't much room to expand within commuting distance of the job centers. Looking at the prices of SFHs selling around here in decent school systems, I'm not sure how median income joe and jane would come close to be able to afford a home unless they inherited some money. Even less desirable areas are kinda expensive for median income joe and jane.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 09-27-2022 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies