Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 07:56 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,130,639 times

Advertisements

I'm flabbergasted. Contraception? They can't promote contraception?

Apparently, it comes from this law...

[FONT=Courier New]
Quote:
18-603. Advertising medicines or other means for preventing conception, or facilitating miscarriage or abortion. Every person, except licensed physicians of this state and those licensed or registered health care providers hereinafter referred to acting under their direct supervision or medical order, who wilfully publishes any notice or advertisement of any medicine or means for producing or facilitating a miscarriage or abortion, or for the prevention of conception, or who offers his services by any notice, advertisement, or otherwise to assist in the accomplishment of any such purpose, is guilty of a felony.
[/FONT]
You can find the entire text [URL="https://legislature.idaho.gov/statutesrules/idstat/title18/t18ch6/sect18-603/"]here[/URL].

And here's the story from the Idaho Statesman:[URL="https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/education/article266373301.html"] University of Idaho memo tells employees not to promote abortion, birth control[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 08:00 PM

573 posts, read 257,192 times
Why would they need to promote Contraception... its a learning institution, not a Health Clinic~!

PS. Most girls loose their virginity at 12-13 yrs of age. They know more about Birth Control than the avg. Millennial ~

Old 09-27-2022, 08:05 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,130,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The First View Post
Why would they need to promote Contraception... its a learning institution, not a Health Clinic~!

PS. Most girls loose their virginity at 12-13 yrs of age. They know more about Birth Control than the avg. Millennial ~
I have two young adult children, one recently graduated from university and one still there, and it is typical for RAs to have a basket of condoms near their dorm rooms for students to take as needed. My eldest had a friend, a grad student, who worked for her university as a sex educator, meaning she gave talks to incoming students about safe sex practices, including birth control. Under this law, both could have been charged with a felony. A felony! Does that seem right to you?

And, no, it's not typical for children to lose their virginity during puberty. The average age is currently 18. Where are you getting your information?

Last edited by kj1065; 09-27-2022 at 08:14 PM..

Old 09-27-2022, 08:06 PM

5,415 posts, read 6,049,939 times
Quote:

I think there would be a lot of utility in letting college students know where they could access contraceptives on campus.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:17 PM

1,201 posts, read 609,680 times
Quote:

The average age women lose virginity in the US is 17-18, not 12-13. It has been stable at that age for a long time.

A lot of universities have a health clinic attached to them. My own university runs its own hospital and clinics.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:24 PM

7,898 posts, read 5,714,648 times
You would think that access to contraception wouldn't be a bad idea, but hey, what do I know?

Old 09-27-2022, 08:24 PM

573 posts, read 257,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I have two young adult children, one recently graduated from university and one still there, and it is typical for RAs to have a basket of condoms near their dorm rooms for students to take as needed. My eldest had a friend, a grad student, who worked for her university as a sex educator, meaning she gave talks to incoming students about safe sex practices, including birth control. Under this law, both could have been charged with a felony. A felony! Does that seem right to you?

And, no, it's not typical for children to lose their virginity during puberty. The average age is currently 18. Where are you getting your information?
I live in a major Metropolis... you must live in Hills~
Nice to know girls in the country are keeping their virginity till adulthood (cough, cough).~
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I think there would be a lot of utility in letting college students know where they could access contraceptives on campus.
The article mentioned Advertising medicines or other means for preventing conception ...not providing it!

BUT with the cost of education these days,...i guess i'd expect to get some freeby's too.

NO MORE....Oh Well ~ (guess i'll have to buy my own).

Old 09-27-2022, 08:34 PM

5,415 posts, read 6,049,939 times
Quote:
The article mentioned Advertising medicines or other means for preventing conception ...not providing it!

BUT with the cost of education these days,...i guess i'd expect to get some freeby's too.

NO MORE....Oh Well ~ (guess i'll have to buy my own).

Whether you put notices up in the bathrooms, put a note in the school paper or make an announcement at a dorm meeting, that is an advertisement, whether the contraceptives are free or not. I expect colleges want their students to have relatively easy access to contraception because that is better than the alternative. It is simply nonsensical to put barriers up regarding contraception. Read through the threads on the forum regarding abortion and you will see post after post arguing that one reason abortion should not be permitted except in cases of rape or to save the mother is that contraception is so readily available. If states want to decrease abortions they should support efforts to get people to use contraception, not discourage it.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:38 PM

5,660 posts, read 2,618,212 times
There is a lot to unpack from this article, but the University of Idaho should remain neutral on the issue of abortion and can still provide contraception. That is the key takeaway. They may not be able to provide contraception in the form of a pill (probably a good thing), but they can provide condoms, though the reasoning is laughable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Statesman
According to the email, state law prohibits university employees, while doing their jobs, from promoting abortion, providing or performing an abortion, counseling in favor of abortion, referring people for abortions or providing facilities for an abortion.
I agree with this. Entrusted educators should remain neutral on the subject, and tell students to consult with their parents and personal physicians.

Quote:
Employees also can’t dispense emergency contraception,
This is probably a good thing. The only type of 'emergency contraception' would be "plan b", and I would not take any medicine that was not provided by a pharmacist/drug store, especially with deadly fentanyl being as prevalent as it is.

Quote:
contract with abortion providers or advertise or promote services for abortion, the memo said.
Again, entrusted educators should remain neutral on the subject.

Quote:
Employees who violate the laws could face misdemeanor or felony charges and loss of employment, it said.
A felony? Really?

Quote:
Classroom discussions on issues related to abortion are only allowed when “limited to discussions and topics relevant to the class subject” and if the instructor remains neutral, the memo said.
I completely agree with this!

Quote:
The university can still provide condoms to help prevent the spread of sexually transmitted diseases but not for the purpose of birth control, the memo said.

Okay, the reasoning is laughable, but it seems The University of Idaho can still provide contraception.

Last edited by FordBronco1967; 09-27-2022 at 08:47 PM..

Old 09-27-2022, 08:45 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,196,314 times
Quote:

What kind of incel nonsense is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies