Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 04:27 PM

3,113 posts, read 937,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Guess what, a lot of medications don’t work for patients. Psychotropic medications are particularly difficult, which is why they have GeneSight tests available now to help determine what medications might actually work. There are something like 10-11 different classes of medications for hypertension too. For both situations, you might try one, it works, and you are good, or you have to try 10 medications and take 4 at once to see an effect.

There are other conditions where treatment outcomes are similarly abysmal - migraine treatment is one. I have tried most of the available treatments that were not developed specifically for migraines and they have bad side effects. I’ve tried some of the ones specifically made for them and they also seem to have bad side effects. However, they do work for others. It may be that in 10 years we no longer use SSRIs. FWIW, I tried one and it also had horrible side effects. And no, I don’t deny that some of the old treatments were also questionable. My best friend has this old poster of poison control from about 1960 and the suggestions would absolutely not be used today. My mom said that around that time, she’d get the mercurochrome painted on her tonsils for sore throats until she finally had them removed.
Yes, a lot medicines don't work, and make you worse actually. I've written a lot about different classes of drugs here.

But SSRIs are truly one of the biggest scams that are hurting us. For one, they increase suicidality and homicidal behavior (not just in kids). For example, the pilot who crashed that EuroWings flight into a mountain to commit suicide was on various SSRIs.

The Pharma companies have great explanations - including, thanks to SSRIs he could continue to be a pilot due to the highly efficacious nature of these drugs

Old 09-28-2022, 04:47 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I posted the article. The findings are in the article, you can make it about me, but it's not about me. You can make about it your "clinical experience" just as I'm sure Docs defending giving mercury/arsenic to patients for colds, doing lobotomies to cure mental illness, or removing a patient's tonsils to "prevent" them from getting sore throats.

None of those worked, were not evidence based, were scams to get Pharmaceutical companies and/or Docs money by prescribing medicines or doing harmful procedures for no reason.

SSRIs similarly have no evidence based, the article breaks down why that was a scam, you can read it or not. But your "feelings" are hurting your patients and that's why I'm against the medical establishment. You guys are doing a terrible job.
Tell that to my patients, so many benefited or so long. They certainly have their use, but one cannot treat a real patient solely from research papers.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:04 PM

19,773 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Even for those classified as "severely" depressed, the difference between SSRIs and the placebo (i assume sugar pill) was only 15%.

15%, and I have stated that it's really hard to blind these studies because a placebo is not active (by definition) and SSRIs are, and so most patients realize when they're on a SSRI and when they're not, so they're not really blinded, and hence 15% could be placebo effect too.

But even if it's "real", there are so many other ways to treat them then giving them toxic drugs that alter their brain chemistry, foster addiction and dependence, and just work 15% better (in severe) cases than the placebo.

SSRI's are a scam. But as our friendly Doc said, it allowed him to write a whole bunch of Rx for these pills when otherwise he'd have to send them to a shrink lol. Ain't modern medicine grand?
Ridiculous. You are a smart man.........expect better from yourself at all times.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:07 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Psychedelic assisted psychotherapy is the cutting edge for PTSD and depression. For those interested check out MAPS.org

Old 09-28-2022, 05:09 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Prior to SSRI's Americans solved their mental health problems with alcohol.
They still do.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Who dissuaded someone from seeking medical treatment?

You are very close to the line of wanting to label something disinformation and having legitimate discussion silenced. Is that what you want?

I repeat, there is no link between serotonin levels and depression. None.

My goal is more information - not less.
Actually I don't think you understand the English language very well. You are asserting there is no evidence that the SSRI medication work to alleviate depression and by doing so you may influence someone not to see a doctor. You do get that....rright?

Old 09-28-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, a lot medicines don't work, and make you worse actually. I've written a lot about different classes of drugs here.

But SSRIs are truly one of the biggest scams that are hurting us. For one, they increase suicidality and homicidal behavior (not just in kids). For example, the pilot who crashed that EuroWings flight into a mountain to commit suicide was on various SSRIs.

The Pharma companies have great explanations - including, thanks to SSRIs he could continue to be a pilot due to the highly efficacious nature of these drugs
You could not be more incorrect.

Since you are clearly unaware of how getting well affects people who are depressed some get worse when starting these medications or talking therapy. The pharmaceutical companies plainly communicate this to prescribers and they are well aware of it. It is widely disseminated. It is a known reaction in the process of getting well.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:41 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Thank you for posting some actual medical information. I want to add that these medications are prescribed not only for depression but also for anxiety disorders. Prior to the discovery of SSRIs, the main treatments for anxiety disorders were benzodiazepine drugs like Valium, or self-medication with alcohol, both of which are addictive and have many ill effects.
Prior to ssri, the standard of care were the tricyclic anti-depressants like amitriptyline. For an efficacy viewpoint, there is not a huge difference between the two. From a safety and side effect viewpoint, ssris are superior. Before the tricyclics, mao-i inhibitors were the standard of care but they have a ridiculous amount of drug drug interactions.

The first ssri marketed in the US was fluoxetine in January 1988. The actual first ssri was never approved in the US and was removed from the market in Europe for side effect reasons.

There is an old blood pressure drug called reserpine. It's rarely prescribed nowadays due to side effects and better medications. After release in the 1950s, a number of patients became depressed. The depression ended when they stopped therapy. They determined the medication inhibits serotonin. This led to the idea that serotonin is involved in depression.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Actually I don't think you understand the English language very well. You are asserting there is no evidence that the SSRI medication work to alleviate depression and by doing so you may influence someone not to see a doctor. You do get that....rright?
Yes, I encourage all people to refuse SSRIs. Exercise works better.

Quote:
Using a more extensive search procedure, the current meta-analysis examines the effects of exercise on depressive symptoms in 58 randomized trials (n = 2982). An overall effect size of -0.80 indicates participants in the exercise treatment had significantly lower depression scores than those receiving the control treatment.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19453207/

Control treatment = SSRI

Old 09-28-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
You could not be more incorrect.

Since you are clearly unaware of how getting well affects people who are depressed some get worse when starting these medications or talking therapy. The pharmaceutical companies plainly communicate this to prescribers and they are well aware of it. It is widely disseminated. It is a known reaction in the process of getting well.
More than 60% of Americans who have been prescribed SSRIs have been on them for over 2 years. Sounds like they got better? Sounds like to me they just got a drug dependence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies