Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 03:45 PM

8,093 posts, read 3,417,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think the issue is that “pain” itself is subjective. Persons A and B may have the same condition, but Person A doesn’t experience nearly as much pain as person B does. What makes things worse is that the medical community seems to treat complaints of pain differently depending on gender and race, even when everything else in the medical record is the same. For example, I watched a documentary a while back on a prima ballerina deciding to retire. They showed some of her spinal imaging and she had scoliosis and severe degeneration throughout the spine. It was amazing she could walk without severe pain, much less dance. I can only assume that over the years, she had trained her brain to adapt to the pain. That said, it would be completely unrealistic to expect the average person to be that active with that sort of condition, not to mention the danger.

That said, doctors are people too. Maybe they experienced X themselves and it wasn’t a big deal, so they think it shouldn’t be a big deal for the patient. That may not be the right way to think about it though.
They also discriminate based on someone's social economic level. Poor people are often seen as drug seeking before a more wealthy person is.

Old 09-29-2022, 04:17 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,403,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Why should she have to go through an invasive procedure just to get some pain relief? She has stated she doesn't want kids and has no plans to get pregnant, but even still, that phantom fetus that doesn't exist has full control over her body. Tell me how this is right.
Not the "phantom fetus"-the "phantom lawyer". Scumbag lawyers that have never done anything useful in their lives are far too willing to sue doctors over any tiny excuse they can come up with, and brain-dead juries are all too happy to hand out huge settlements-of which the lawyers get 1/3. Want to deal with issues like this? Pass laws seriously limiting the types of cases where doctors can be sued, and put a cap on awards.

Granted, that will never happen because for the most part our lawmakers are lawyers and won't bite the hand that feeds them. We need more doctors, engineers and business people in legislative positions, and fewer lawyers.

Old 09-29-2022, 05:21 PM

20,328 posts, read 14,547,380 times
Since I'm quick to call it when people share questionable sources for stories from the right side of things, I will not make a hypocrite of myself, and I'm just gonna say it... The source of this link is questionable and this story, coming from some viral internet video deal...also questionable. I refuse to let such things provoke outrage in my mind, because that's kinda how we got into *waves around vaguely* all this mess.

BUT.

Women in today's day and age in America who very strongly believe that they will never consent to carry a pregnancy to term should really, if possible, start seeking a doctor who will do a tubal ligation. Actually, doctors willing to do female sterilization surgery should consider removing the tubes, or some methodology that lowers the risk of ectopic pregnancy (which is increased in the rare instances of conception following a TL procedure.) There could very well come a time where abortion is no longer an option. I had a TL and for all it's talked of as "invasive" and compared to a vasectomy it is, sure...it seriously is not a big deal. Recovery is fast, I didn't even need any pain meds. I felt weak, fatigued, and kind of delicate (I mean, just the idea that your insides have been messed with and cut into...) for a couple of days, but that was it. As surgeries go, it's very minor.

And there are plenty of drugs that women are prescribed that say "do not take if you think you are pregnant or might become pregnant" etc in the warnings. Docs prescribe them to women all the time. I have my suspicions, really, about this whole story being entirely true. Yes, though, if this is true and it happened as presented, certainly that is bonkers and she should find a new doctor at the least.

Regarding doctors being sued over any little thing... In 2001-2002, my husband at the time had grounds to sue a hospital. A condition he went to the ER for, they didn't even try to diagnose, just gave him pain drugs and sent him home. Days later his colon had perforated and he was dying. He had to have 3 surgeries, a temp colostomy and weeks in hospital when if they'd even tried to look and see what was up on his first visit, it could have been managed with anti-inflammatory meds and dietary changes. Lawyers we consulted looked at the records and told us they would not touch it because they often used docs from that hospital group as experts for legal testimony and no lawyer in town would go against that hospital, and that even if we did try, we wouldn't get enough to make it worth our time after the fees. I really wonder what has changed, from then to now...

Old 09-29-2022, 07:26 PM

19,615 posts, read 17,907,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Since I'm quick to call it when people share questionable sources for stories from the right side of things, I will not make a hypocrite of myself, and I'm just gonna say it... The source of this link is questionable and this story, coming from some viral internet video deal...also questionable. I refuse to let such things provoke outrage in my mind, because that's kinda how we got into *waves around vaguely* all this mess.

BUT.

Women in today's day and age in America who very strongly believe that they will never consent to carry a pregnancy to term should really, if possible, start seeking a doctor who will do a tubal ligation. Actually, doctors willing to do female sterilization surgery should consider removing the tubes, or some methodology that lowers the risk of ectopic pregnancy (which is increased in the rare instances of conception following a TL procedure.) There could very well come a time where abortion is no longer an option. I had a TL and for all it's talked of as "invasive" and compared to a vasectomy it is, sure...it seriously is not a big deal. Recovery is fast, I didn't even need any pain meds. I felt weak, fatigued, and kind of delicate (I mean, just the idea that your insides have been messed with and cut into...) for a couple of days, but that was it. As surgeries go, it's very minor.

And there are plenty of drugs that women are prescribed that say "do not take if you think you are pregnant or might become pregnant" etc in the warnings. Docs prescribe them to women all the time. I have my suspicions, really, about this whole story being entirely true. Yes, though, if this is true and it happened as presented, certainly that is bonkers and she should find a new doctor at the least.

Regarding doctors being sued over any little thing... In 2001-2002, my husband at the time had grounds to sue a hospital. A condition he went to the ER for, they didn't even try to diagnose, just gave him pain drugs and sent him home. Days later his colon had perforated and he was dying. He had to have 3 surgeries, a temp colostomy and weeks in hospital when if they'd even tried to look and see what was up on his first visit, it could have been managed with anti-inflammatory meds and dietary changes. Lawyers we consulted looked at the records and told us they would not touch it because they often used docs from that hospital group as experts for legal testimony and no lawyer in town would go against that hospital, and that even if we did try, we wouldn't get enough to make it worth our time after the fees. I really wonder what has changed, from then to now...
Sorry about what happened to your husband. However, ER docs. vis a vis malpractice lawsuits are held to a lower standard that most other docs. IOW it'd be tougher to sue an ER doc. than the neurologist at hand. An alternative way to look at this...in most states ER malpractice ins. is roughly half of OB GYN and way less than say general surgery.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:10 AM

36,226 posts, read 30,664,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

BUT.

I agree. I had a TL right after my second child was born. I was already feeling crappy after childbirth so can't really say, but it didnt seem like a big deal to me.
I have no idea the truth of this story but if the doctor was focused on her future potential reproduction instead of her present medical issues and her wishes, that is the very same dismissive attitude that has kept so many doctors from performing TLs in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.