Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 01:15 PM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I never said it was the most important issue to most Americans.

I don't think most Americans care because there is no one to vote for who is proposing comprehensive immigration reform. And, even when someone does the other side blocks it.
I'd note that the poll you posted was from Feb 2021 when the drums of calling opposition to illegals "racist" and "putting kids in cages" blah blah blah.

It would be interesting to see if over the past 18 months if peoples attitudes have changed at all.

Personally I think that the illegals are a largely bi-partisan resource of cheap labor that won't unionize or complain. This mainly hurts the blue collar working poor and that is heavily minority.

The irony that open illegal immigration helps richer (whiter) citizens a lot but hurts poorer browner citizens is not lost on me. Double the hilarity that complaining about it gets dismissed as racism.

Oh well, sucks to be poor and uneducated, I've ceased to care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 01:17 PM

43,116 posts, read 18,281,341 times
I'd wager close to 10% of those in America now are illegals

Old 10-10-2022, 01:57 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
And yet you haven't produced anything to contradict this poll.
Ask and you shall receive:

This is recent:

https://spectator.org/immigration-bo...asmussen-poll/

An older poll:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...-for-illegals/

Yet another:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/4852/am...mmigrants.aspx

There's more out there with similar outcomes. Need I go on?

ETA: No one has ever talking about doing mass roundups of illegal aliens. Take away all the freebies they get for dropping an anchor baby, do audits and raids to weed them out of the workforce, make it illegal for them to use someone else's SSN, no more US citizenship for anchor babies. Without all those freebies and without the ability to easily find work, many will self deport.

Old 10-10-2022, 02:51 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Migrants can help our labor force problems, which will help our supply chain, which could help inflation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...7f70730ca00496
Surely you don't believe that. What helps our labor force problems is the liberal governors cutting the benefits they are still holding onto for those that want to sit at home do drugs, create babies, etc. Plenty of people are not looking for work as the taxpayers are supporting them.

Supply chain issue is China as nearly every darn thing we use comes from China, but I am on board for shipping the illegal aliens to China. Heck, I'll personally chip in for that!

Help inflation? Who is interested in doing that? The key is to vote out every possible Democrat you can at every level of government!

The illegal aliens produce anchor babies that we pay to deliver and raise with the low wages they get, most under-the-table. That is not going to help anyone other than businesses who hire them, and slumlords that rent to those that haven't dropped an anchor baby to get in public housing.

Old 10-10-2022, 02:57 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy
Feel free to post polls showing Americans dont support a path to citizenship for people who have been here a long time illegally with the consent of all Americans btw.
No one is here illegally "with the consent of all Americans".

Old 10-10-2022, 03:01 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Feel free to post polls showing Americans dont support a path to citizenship for people who have been here a long time illegally with the consent of all Americans btw.
here you go, published 9/8/22 by Pew Research. https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...ration-policy/

the % of people who "support" has gone down to 60%
the % who support "increased deportation of illegals" is close, at 57%.

the % who support "increase security along the border" is tops at 73%, trailed barely by "allow children brought illegally to stay" at 72%.

Old 10-10-2022, 04:02 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
I liked Bill because he struck me as a guys guy. In many ways he reminds me of JFK in that both are/were smart and both were huge womanizers. Sadly, I think leftists would have a field day with Bill now as he was fairly moderate.

Old 10-10-2022, 04:56 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,766,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Exactly! What is going on today is nothing like when the early Europeans came here because they came in measured numbers and assimilated into our society and embraced English as their national de facto language. No so today with massive illegal immigration from south of our border and you are correct the Cubans created little Havana in Florida. You can't even get a job in those areas if you don't speak Spanish and it's the same thing because there are so many here from south of our border. Many jobs require that you speak Spanish to accommodate them.

Many parts of the country have whole towns that represent another foreign culture to.

Another big mistake was the 1965 Immigration Act where our country got flooded with non-English speaking immigrants with cultures unlike our identifying one. We are a divided country culturally and linquistically now and that's not a good thing.
As someone born and raised in Miami, this is hot button issue for me and I agree with every word Oldglory said.

Old 10-10-2022, 05:04 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No one is here illegally "with the consent of all Americans".
Who elected the politicians in both parties who have refused to solve this problem?

Old 10-10-2022, 06:26 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,845 times
Quote:
Who elected the politicians in both parties who have refused to solve this problem?
Once upon a time, long ago during the Clinton era democrats were willing to oppose illegal immigration and even suggested a border wall. Then sometime around the election of Obama, they decided to completely abandon that and go all in on open borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies