Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2022, 10:17 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
geography lesson....

Florida has 8,500 miles of coast....

....8,400 miles were not affected
Yeah so basically it’s no big deal and all the people there will pull themselves out of this mess with their bootstrappy ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 10:17 AM

10,852 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
geography lesson....

Florida has 8,500 miles of coast....

....8,400 miles were not affected

how is that a geography lesson? and its far far less than that, the coast undulates and such. 100 miles is pretty fair sized and using your number, thats a 1/85 chance of being affected PER INCIDENT. IF the climate exaggerators are correct and FL will get 2-3 hurricanes of force 5 or larger a week...well your number comes up awfully fast...

in one 30 year span its a greater risk to your life and equity than anything else.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:24 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
There really aren't any lessons to learn from this.

Nothing new really. You build along the coast and eventually you will be hit.

Some people won't evacuate no matter what and some of them will not make it.

This was a rarer storm track, the western panhandle and southern end are much more typically hit.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:42 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Depends on the size of the boat. And the skills and risk assessment of the owner. And the size, location and kind of hurricane
And the stupidity of the captain/owner!

Only a moron would take a boat out into a hurricane. Now, leaving ahead of time while it is still safe to go to another spot up or down the coast to escape a hurricane might not be a bad idea. But heading into one? Just plain stupid!

Old 10-03-2022, 04:10 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Jesus uses it in a metaphor way, but he says something that a man who builds his house on a rock is wise and a man who builds his house on sand is a fool.
I guess he didn't know about FEMA.

Old 10-03-2022, 04:12 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Around the world for centuries, you build near water. It’s food and life.
Doesn't Obama have a house on the coast?

Old 10-03-2022, 05:59 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Tampa floods. I got rid of my Toyota for a higher suv to make sure didn’t lose my ride to work .
Every city kitty has parts that flood. Flooding is one thing but a real cane is another brother.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:06 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Not sure about that rural thought. The Myakka River has flooded all over the place. That water is draining into the rivers. Little Manatee River, Alafia rising. We have low areas that do not drain by Arcadia etc Polk county has issues.
The Suwannee is decently close to me, and that and several other rivers create flood zone areas out a couple miles. So yeah, I’ll give you that part. But generally speaking, the concrete and asphalt do not allow drainage so the water goes into the sewers and then the roads start flooding, etc.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I was born in Miami. This is home. Not interested in living in another state. But we know how to mitigate hurricanes since young. The transplants don’t always know. I think it’s ridiculous to build so close to water. Miami Beach built before all this technology explained it all in detail. High rises do not belong by salt water it’s the city who approves the build. $$$ money talks, now there’s regret
Agree with you there. I was also born in Miami and left after Hurricane Andrew. A piece of my heart resides in Wisconsin but we will likely never go back there for multiple reasons. At least they can sort of predict where hurricanes will end up so you have a general idea of how much preparing you might need to do.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
The Great Lakes region...the midwest...interior areas of these states...anywhere away from the coastlines.
You guys get snowstorms at the very least. We got one in Milwaukee just a couple months after we moved there and being a Florida transplant, I was totally lost as to how to handle it. There can be severe weather and acts of God anywhere you go. You have to pick what you’re willing to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies