Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 03:29 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There is no evidence to support your claims. If private schools have to accept every student, which public schools do, they will have the same outcomes as public schools. Competition in private colleges hasn't lowered costs at all. There's no reason to think competition will make education at the primary and secondary level any better. And, there will be hundreds of cases of schools taking money to make the owners rich while cheating the students out of years of their lives.

FedEx and UPS were not required to deliver first class mail to every address for the same price. Nor were they required to serve every place in the country. USPS was hamstrung by the requirements imposed by Congress.

Local governments don't get more money just by asking. Houston ISD had a hard limit on the amount of money it could raise through taxes.
The problem with having the government run a business like USPS is you have all these layers of bureaucratic nonsense that are nearly impossible to change. Thanks for pointing that out. The private sector is much more nimble and does not require an act of congress to do things more efficiently.

The solution for USPS is to sell it off to UPS or Fedex, strip away the government pensions and make it no longer be the burden of taxpayers. Stop daily mail delivery except for medications or overnight documents and deliver 3 days a week. We have gone way past the need of the federal government delivering documents and packages to Americans.

My claims come from a lifetime of watching government flail in incompetence and the private sector soar.

This is just one list if we want to talk private vs. public education.

https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...versus-private

The best universities in the USA are private universities. Its not even close. I am no going to mention K-12 since private schools can pick and choose who attends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 04:31 PM

15,417 posts, read 7,477,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The problem with having the government run a business like USPS is you have all these layers of bureaucratic nonsense that are nearly impossible to change. Thanks for pointing that out. The private sector is much more nimble and does not require an act of congress to do things more efficiently.

The solution for USPS is to sell it off to UPS or Fedex, strip away the government pensions and make it no longer be the burden of taxpayers. Stop daily mail delivery except for medications or overnight documents and deliver 3 days a week. We have gone way past the need of the federal government delivering documents and packages to Americans.

My claims come from a lifetime of watching government flail in incompetence and the private sector soar.

This is just one list if we want to talk private vs. public education.

https://www.topuniversities.com/univ...versus-private

The best universities in the USA are private universities. Its not even close. I am no going to mention K-12 since private schools can pick and choose who attends.
USPS can't be sold off as it's a requirement in the Constitution.

USPS isn't run by the government, it's an independent agency owned by the government

UPS pays pensions, since it's a union company.

USPS has a post office in nearly every town. UPS does not. A friend has to drive from Cuero to Victoria to send a package via UPS, because there's no place in Cuero that does UPS. There is a post office, though.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
USPS can't be sold off as it's a requirement in the Constitution.

USPS isn't run by the government, it's an independent agency owned by the government

UPS pays pensions, since it's a union company.

USPS has a post office in nearly every town. UPS does not. A friend has to drive from Cuero to Victoria to send a package via UPS, because there's no place in Cuero that does UPS. There is a post office, though.
Semantics its run by the government. Steal mail and its a federal crime. Its run by an entity inside the executive branch.

Like I said it would take an act of congress to change it the way it is. There was a time when the post office was essential. The founding fathers did not envision email and Amazon happening.

I live in a rural small town in Oklahoma. The local electronics store accepts all UPS packages for shipping. Another store accepts all Fedex. And they get a ton of packages since rates went up with USPS and its cheaper to ship UPS. Most towns around here have similar options. Often you have dig a bit to figure out where they are.

Only reason I brought this up is I have observed a lifetime of government run and private run entities. And the government rarely gets it right. People used to say the military. But you look at all the inflated prices they paid for decades for things and that simply would not happen in the private sector. Lots of corruption there too. I am not saying privatize the military only just that it bungles finances like all other agencies.

Old 10-03-2022, 07:21 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yep, this is great policy for parents and education in Arizona. The parents that want their kids to become transexuals and to be taught hatred of Christianity, white males, and Conservatives can leave their kids in the public school system.
Or maybe they can (should) **** off back to California where that kind of thing is actively encouraged, practically mandated.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:25 PM

32,057 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The majority of private elementary schools in Arizona cost less that the $7,000 voucher. Some are as low at $2,000. Average cost is $6,700.

We are talking Arizona here not some other state that might be more expensive. And we are talking about totally changing the landscape for education. Not how it currently is. So potentially many new and different private schools will be created. They don't have to do things the way previous private schools have done things. You can't just say private schools yesterday did things this ways so that is how it will be when every parent has a voucher and can send their kids to potentially thousands of new schools that will open up in the coming years.

My feeling is the private sector does everything better and more effectively than the government. So you give the private sector the money that went to public schools and they will be able to teach kids better and for less than public schools are doing it.

My guess is there will be educational corporations that will spring up, be publicly traded companies and set up private schools around the country as what Arizona is doing spreads nationwide. They won't have to deal with bloated administrations or corrupt and unnecessary unions and be able to do things much better than school districts do now for less money.
Your idea of totally changing the landscape for education means leaving out special ed kids and those who have behavioral issues among others. And vouchers are not a carte blanche to go to the school you choose. Kids actually have to be accepted. And then parents need to figure out how to get these kids to and from school. And there won't be thousands of new schools opening up. We already have many private schools.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Your idea of totally changing the landscape for education means leaving out special ed kids and those who have behavioral issues among others. And vouchers are not a carte blanche to go to the school you choose. Kids actually have to be accepted. And then parents need to figure out how to get these kids to and from school. And there won't be thousands of new schools opening up. We already have many private schools.
Its not my idea. Its a fact in Arizona. Right now there are 66,000 private school students in 447 schools. With the voucher plan 1 million students can go to a private school. There would be a huge demand for private schools and the current ones would not be able to fill all the potential students. So if parents of say half the public school students wanted to opt out and send there kids to a private school with the current ratio that would be at least 3,000 new schools. What makes you think there will not be any new schools? I also believe that many parents will decide to home school since they will get the money for it.

But if you believe you need public schools for special ed students or ones that need juvenile hall then keep them in what is left of public schools. They will have one diminished purpose.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:57 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,971,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
This "voucher" is largely an effort by evangelical christian extremists to drain state funding from public schools into right wing "charter" madrassas where children are groomed and indoctrinated into white christian nationalism. It flies in the face and harms public education, while brainwashing children into right wing extremist beliefs and religious doctrine and separating them from the benefits of a diverse and well rounded mainstream education.
You clearly have never been exposed to kids that go to private schools. I live in a very diverse area (lots of immigrants, mainly from Mexico, Sudan, Egypt, India and DRC), and we have quite a few private schools. Those schools attract kids from every faith, income group, and ethnicity. Children of color make up a large percentage, with those parents knowing that the current public school system is failing their kids.

As a childless woman, I'm pretty sick of my tax dollars being used to groom and indoctrinate students to the left wing extremist beliefs and woke doctrine that flies in the face of science and common sense. I'm all for vouchers, which gives parent "choice". Amazing that the left loves choice when it suits them, yet fights tooth and nail when it disrupts their agenda.

My kids, my choice. Right?

Old 10-04-2022, 09:22 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How does the plan leave out SPED or others? Kids can continue going to public school if they so choose

Old 10-05-2022, 09:11 AM

30,344 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm nearly 60yo, attended public schools in IL, NY, FL and Texas and I was never once forced to pray.........as a life long atheist I'd remember.
I just saw that only 1% of black 3rd graders in Decatur, IL can pass the minimal math standard but hey, 2% can read at a 3rd grade level. My son's private Chrisitan 3rd grade class had 100% reading at 3rd grade level probably at half the funding of Decatur public schools.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:50 AM

7,268 posts, read 3,790,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
Kind of like when my public school forced all of us to pray in the mornings after reciting the Pledge? Or when every school sports I took part in forced us to pray before games? Or when my schools pushed religion in everyway possible even in Math class? Is that the indoctrination you are referring to?
Should have complained to your parents if you didn't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies