Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2022, 05:21 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times

Advertisements

I have always thought that Jaywalking as a 'crime' was a bit much anyway. The Police need to search out the real criminals who are a threat to our society, not someone crossing the street. But that is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 05:21 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Completely untrue, and even the Wiki you lifted the text from would tell you that.

Just for starters: "It is legal to cross all roads except motorways in Denmark, Sweden and Norway. " You can't be at a trffic luight and not go by the lights, but you can cross a city street between intersections. As long as you do so in a safe, alert and prudent manner etc.

You were literally on the Wikipedia page yourself.
I agree with you, some countries (1st W) have it and some do not.

Post #35 I provided the link to those that do or have something eerily similar and there are a lot that do.

I think you missed that as you were responding to another but I clearly pointed and sourced that the US is not a glaring exception.

Additionally, you have to consider enforcement. The US has lots of laws that are not enforced as I suspect is the case in other places.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:28 PM

152 posts, read 130,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
No the solution would be to provide better crosswalk design and a greater amount of crosswalks in major pedestrian use areas..

Old 10-03-2022, 05:30 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Places in first world countries where people walk in the middle of the roads are called pedestrian zones. Otherwise in any first world country I have lived in you walk on the sidewalk. If we break that word down it means side and walk, you walk on the side. I have never seen a first world country where people walk in the middle of a street.

In a third world country you don't dare walk on the street. Try it in India they will mow you down like a dog.
I've lived in third world countries. People walked in the streets.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:34 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,596,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I have always thought that Jaywalking as a 'crime' was a bit much anyway. The Police need to search out the real criminals who are a threat to our society, not someone crossing the street. But that is just my opinion.
Jaywalking is civil matter under California Vehicle Code, instead of criminal matter under CA Penal Code

That's why you don't get mirandized and get your fingerprints send to FBIIII when you get a jaywalking ticket.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:34 PM

152 posts, read 130,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I've lived in third world countries. People walked in the streets.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:39 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
More racist liberals who want to decriminalize unlawful behavior because they think black people are all sociopathic imbeciles who are lucky if they don't defecate in the streets.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:50 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Pretty stupid to jaywalk in the first place regardless of whether it's a "crime". You'll play hell getting insurance to pay your bills if you're an idiot and get hit. Plus the driver's insurance might go after you for any damages if it was truly your fault. Jaywalking charges make it easier on the poor ******* who hit your dumb ass. Of course if you don't have anything then there's nothing to take and you get all your medical for free. Then maybe you sue the driver so you can rehabilitate in style.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:54 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
More racist liberals who want to decriminalize unlawful behavior because they think black people are all sociopathic imbeciles who are lucky if they don't defecate in the streets.
Or maybe it's because reducing the number of irrelevant police/citizen encounters just makes sense. If I cross between intersections on a Sunday morning.

LA has some pretty big blocks. For instance Crenshaw between Olympic and Pico has a block that's 1300 feet long. Why would anyone at the middle of that block go to an intersection to cross to a building on the other side? That's ludicrous.

When I lived in London, I crossed in the middle of streets all the time. It wasn't a big deal.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:55 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post

serial rapist caught for jaywalking
https://www.amny.com/new-york/manhat...ck-woman-cops/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies