Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 06:32 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
barrels of oil is not equal to untapped oil
Can you explain what you mean? Be as expansive as necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 06:42 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
First, we DID stop drilling during Trump's term due to COVID.

Secondly, since Biden took over and the price of oil jumped up we have nearly doubled the number of working rigs in this country. The idea that Biden "stopped" drilling is absolutely inaccurate

In fact, if Trump were still in office it would have been a similar increase because the oil companies did controlled growth to avoid overproduction. They would have done the same if Trump was in office.

Keystone XL pipeline may or may not have been finished. Probably not. But it would have been running Canadian tar sand oil. This is complicated because A) nobody really wants it because it isn't clean. B) it's expensive to refine it because of its viscosity. and C) ownership of the oil and taxes and such would be complicated because it is Canada's oil.
D) it is always a good idea to limit your options. That way we can go online and mindlessly speculate about what could have been. I'm looking for Jackie. Jackie are you out there?

Old 10-04-2022, 07:25 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Didn’t someone warn Europe about depending on Russian energy and was laughed at? Who was that again?
Obama, in March 2014:

Obama tells EU to do more to cut reliance on Russian gas

Old 10-04-2022, 07:40 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Nuclear and coal produce baseline power which cannot be ramped up or down quick enough to adjust for demand. Solar and wind are essentially baseline power which can only be backed by natural gas, not nuclear or coal. Plus, nuclear is more expensive than pretty much any other energy source, and coal is coal.

Germany would have been more than fine if not for America and its proxy war.
You didn't back up your arguments with any numbers.

Can you keep your Ukraine garbage to just one thread please? I'd think you'd get your fill of embarassment there.

Old 10-05-2022, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You didn't back up your arguments with any numbers.
Couldn't you have used google yourself?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leveli...of_electricity

Furthermore, it is well-known that the whole point of natural gas generators is that they can be turned on and off quickly to meet demand. Whereas turning on and off a coal plant takes a long time and actually damages the plant. Nuclear power is also not something that can just be turned off and on throughout the day. Lastly, Russian pipeline gas was about 1/4th the cost of American LNG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tWm03GQ3fw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Can you keep your Ukraine garbage to just one thread please? I'd think you'd get your fill of embarassment there.
It only seems that way because I'm arguing with literal NPC's who didn't know Ukraine existed until February. They're just repeating crap spewed in the western media, and believe that Putin is just a madman who invaded Ukraine because he is dying of cancer. Basically, a bunch of braindead morons with no understanding of geopolitics or world history. They are the vast majority of Americans.

Moreover, every time I get into a real discussion in the Ukraine War thread, where I feel like I'm beginning to make progress, it all gets deleted. I'm only here to offer the truth. If you follow my posts, they are not partisan. I'll defend and critique everyone, even myself.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:05 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Europe's energy problems are not the result of green policies.
Yes they are, why do you think they've backtracked on destroying the rest of their nuclear power plants?

Quote:
Germany will keep two of its remaining three nuclear plants on standby until at least April 2023, as the country also secures other alternative energy supplies to make it through winter.
https://www.dw.com/en/germany-plans-...ion/a-63258734

Old 10-05-2022, 03:10 AM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Obama wasn't laughed at, Trump was in 2018.

Quote:
Trump Warns Germany Could Become Reliant On Russian Energy
https://www.rferl.org/a/trump-warns-.../29509218.html

Old 10-05-2022, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yes they are, why do you think they've backtracked on destroying the rest of their nuclear power plants?
All of Germany's energy problems are caused by America. Period. And Russia didn't blow up Nord Stream regardless of how many sycophants howl. America did.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:07 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Europe's energy problems are not the result of green policies. Europe's energy problems are from Russian natural gas being so much cheaper than everything else, and Europe basically having no oil or gas deposits outside of the North Sea(Norway/Denmark/Scotland).
Some truth, but exacerbated by the post 2000-2005 push towards green that saw all manner of reductions in nuclear power, particularly in France.

Used to be France had the cheapest power in all of Europe, and were the cheap, reliable exporter of electricity for a large swath of Western Europe. Not so much these days of green energy and windfarms.

The EU did a bunch of weird green new deal stuff that made their reliance on cheap Russian gas/oil much more pronounced.

Old 10-25-2022, 07:43 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
some good news for a change

Why Natural Gas Prices in Europe Are Suddenly Plunging
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies