Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2022, 08:44 AM

6,035 posts, read 2,854,310 times

Advertisements

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/...t-use-the-app/

I know I said in the other thread about the internet, "that it is all about how you use it", but this is one of the massive downsides of the internet...

The lack of privacy, since coming to my attention, has soured me, greatly, on modern, internet-connected, technology...

From the article:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitbart News
A recent study from Consumer Reports claims that while many users may be aware that websites collect information on users, which Google and Facebook have used to dominate the advertising business, the Chinese-owned app TikTok uses many of the same techniques to track users across the web – even when they don’t use the app.

Companies such as TikTok embed trackers called “pixels” in other websites which record a user’s actions. Then TikTok uses this information to target ads to potential customers and measure the success rate of their ads.

Consumer Reports asked security firm Disconnect to scan 20,000 websites for TikTok pixels. Some of the biggest sites that featured the pixel had domains ending “.org,” “.edu,” and “.gov,” many of which dealt with sensitive information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 09:43 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
If you're not taking active measures to block cookies/javascript and using a vpn you're being tracked pretty much anywhere you go including this site which has multiple trackers.

And even if you are taking such measures you're probably being fingerprinted and those steps are part of the fingerprint.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If you're not taking active measures to block cookies/javascript and using a vpn you're being tracked pretty much anywhere you go including this site which has multiple trackers.

And even if you are taking such measures you're probably being fingerprinted and those steps are part of the fingerprint.
Yep! I use a VPN and Brave browser. I have the ad/tracker block set to "aggressive" and I have the fingerprint block set to "aggressive", and Brave tells me it blocks four ads/trackers/fingerprints from City-Data. When the fingerprint block is set to "standard", Brave says it blocks three ads/trackers/fingerprints from City-Data.

YouTube is the worst website for ads/trackers/fingerprints. If you spend just one hour on it, Brave blocks several hundred ads/trackers/fingerprints... It is crazy!

Old 10-11-2022, 10:15 AM

I'm seeing 5. 4 google related ones and a quantserve one here.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I'm seeing 5. 4 google related ones and a quantserve one here.
When I block scripts, it goes up to nine ads/trackers/fingerprints blocked.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:10 PM

7,368 posts, read 3,829,330 times
I use Brave and a VPN as well, but I don't use the aggressive setting. Maybe I should try it?

The statement "TikTok embeds trackers" is, I think, false. The website devs embed the trackers on behalf of TikTok. They do it for Facebook and Google on a large scale.

Usually, they just include a script.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
I use Brave and a VPN as well, but I don't use the aggressive setting. Maybe I should try it?

The statement "TikTok embeds trackers" is, I think, false. The website devs embed the trackers on behalf of TikTok. They do it for Facebook and Google on a large scale.

Usually, they just include a script.
Yeah, websites intentionally embed such things for ads and to enable easy sharing of their content across social media. Or for a single sign on.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:32 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
I see more Google and Facebook than anyone else.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:06 PM

7,368 posts, read 3,829,330 times
Quote:
Yeah, websites intentionally embed such things for ads and to enable easy sharing of their content across social media. Or for a single sign on.
Brave can block some of that. They have a social media blocking feature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies