Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 10:01 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times

Advertisements

Are the policies enacted in the name of "Climate Change" just code word for Population Reduction?

No.

Climate change is climate change. Greenhouse gasses are accumulating in the atmosphere faster than they can naturally dissipate or be sequestered by plant life.

Demographic collapse is a different problem, mostly driven by the widespread voluntary use of birth control. People in advanced economies all over the world are postponing starting families (but they are enjoying sex as much as ever, even moreso). When these younger sorts finally settle down and get married, the number of children is a deliberate calculation and the use of birth control continues as needed.

Why are people using birth control? For the same reason they buy nice new cars, eat out at restaurants and go on nice vacations.

Because they want to. This is how people want it, and the trend toward smaller families in Europe, North America and Japan began long before we knew there was a climate crises, decades before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 11:32 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Are the policies enacted in the name of "Climate Change" just code word for Population Reduction?

What are we seeing because of these policies? We're seeing plummeting fertility rates. We're seeing drastic population declines in "developed nations". Most of Europe, Japan, China, even the US all have a fertility rate that is far below replacement levels. States like Mexico that used to have surging birth rates have suddenly collapsed.

As Elon said, "population collapse" is a greater threat facing mankind than climate change.
We have overpopulated this planet and abused the resources it gives us. Elon is an idiot.

Old 10-06-2022, 12:19 AM

631 posts, read 289,132 times
The amount of hysteria surrounding the topic of climate is as mysterious to me as the comparable hysteria regarding many other contemporary hot-button issues. This was simply not part of the cultural landscape thirty years ago. It’s weird. It’s as if, seemingly overnight, somebody suddenly woke up and started screaming that the world is ending due to x, y, z — and climate change. The hysteria is what gives me pause. It stinks of a manufactured problem.

The planet has undergone incomparably more drastic climate shifts than what we are presently experiencing, sometimes with human populations around, and sometimes without. Back in the Carboniferous, atmospheric co 2 was off the charts higher than it is today. The earth did just fine — in fact, it gave us those ginormous rotting forests which eventually gave us fossil fuels. Then there were the ice ages, when co2 levels dropped precipitously, but they gave humanity a different sort of existential challenge. Life, and Homo sapiens, came through ok through it.

All of which is to say that I am skeptical of the climate change hype and all the policies stemming from it. As always, the question to ask is, who stands to gain from them? Population reduction is not necessarily in the elites’ interest. What’s in their interest is to keep the masses controlled, ignorant, and dependent,so that they don’t impinge on the objectively dwindling non-renewable resources of the planet. From that perspective, I think the policies aim more at control rather than outright culling.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:09 AM

7,503 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:

What are we seeing because of these policies? We're seeing plummeting fertility rates. We're seeing drastic population declines in "developed nations". Most of Europe, Japan, China, even the US all have a fertility rate that is far below replacement levels. States like Mexico that used to have surging birth rates have suddenly collapsed.

As Elon said, "population collapse" is a greater threat facing mankind than climate change.
Maybe, the vaccine was a really good start too.. release a virus, kill millions then follow up with some random cocktail that didn’t go thru normal trials and convince billions of people to inject it over and over until it screws your body up so badly if fails to function properly.

Normally I would say tin foil hat but this is the Obama/Biden regime we are talking about here.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:10 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
No.

Climate change is climate change.
And your Tesla is not going to fix it. Nor is throwing endless taxpayer money at it.

Mother Nature doesn't take cash or credit. The hurricanes, wildfires, tornadoes, floods and earthquakes are still going to happen.

Earth is in control; we're just living on it for a blip of a moment.

Last edited by Rocko20; 10-06-2022 at 05:18 AM..

Old 10-06-2022, 05:24 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
If they wanted to reduce the population they would have left covid to run unchecked instead of all the lockdowns and vaccine mandates. Of course there's still a lot of people on this forum who are convinced the vaccines are part of the depopulation plot.

Honestly I think there's enough compartmentalization in the system where you can't really control the actions of everyone. There are some elites that would like to depopulate in some who wouldn't. There are groups who want to feed the hungry and then they breed like rabbits and there's others who would rather educate them.

Everyone has different moral values and different end goals and a lot of times the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and vice versa. In the end I believe most people just want to make money and live the best lifestyle they can with the most amount of materialistic enjoyment. Most people in the end look out for themselves. They just want to be left alone, as is often stated here.

I think what they really want is to reduce people's expectations of their standard of living. They know that the entire world's population can't live in five bedroom, four bathroom houses with three stall garages and five cars parked in the driveway. Young people of today who don't have parents who have some net worth are going to struggle a lot more than the baby boomer generation with affording the things they took for granted. I don't believe house prices are ever going to go back to a reasonable level, not what this movement of investor purchasing that's going on.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:33 AM

7,367 posts, read 3,533,397 times
Quote:
Yep, it's as simple as this, if couples could afford to have 2.2 kids, they would.

We've become so impoverished, that we can't afford to reproduce and still enjoy a fruitful lifestyle.

"I can't afford to travel to exotic places and post on IG if I have a kid." or
"I can't afford a kid because of my high rent." or
"I can't have a family because I like to go to bars." or
"I want kids, but I can't find a spouse that wants the same."

All adds up to a negative replacement rate.
Yeah, we thought that the baby boomers were the most selfish generation but it turns out millennials and Gen Z will probably be the new “me” generation I look at the selflessness of my grandparents who were World War II generation and lived through a depression. They were mostly humble religious people who didn’t feel the need to micromanage their children but were lovingly strict. people would dress classy back then, and they were bug on reusing and recycling. perhaps history might repeat once it gets worse before it gets better.

Go back to the topic at hand yes climate change policies only result in control of the individual.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:21 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

No.

Climate change is climate change. Greenhouse gasses are accumulating in the atmosphere faster than they can naturally dissipate or be sequestered by plant life.

And your Tesla is not going to fix it. Nor is throwing endless taxpayer money at it.

Mother Nature doesn't take cash or credit. The hurricanes, wildfires, tornadoes, floods and earthquakes are still going to happen.

Earth is in control; we're just living on it for a blip of a moment.
Since you brought it up ...

You are correct to say " The hurricanes, wildfires, tornadoes, floods and earthquakes are still going to happen."

Except that we are making is WORSE than it should be. The storms are more frequent and more powerful. The dry areas are getting dryer and the wet areas are getting wetter and the transition zones are getting more violent and unmanageable storms.

Sadly, we not only know what is happening, we not only know the trends ... we know why, but as a nation we refuse to do anything about it.

Humanity and modern society can only survive in a narrow range of climate. We are pushing the climate out of range for normal human habitation. Yes, climate changes naturally, for natural reasons like volcanic activity, meteor strikes and that sort of thing. We should expect some natural disasters to affect our climate.

But human activity has changed the equation with an overabundant accumulation of greenhouse gases. So now everything that would happen naturally is abnormally exaggerated. We are approaching a point of no return.

We have the ability to change this outcome, but we lack the will. We are like addicts who can't give up their regular fix. Our society is incapable of even admitting there is a problem, so we can't even plan to mitigate the crises with simple expedients like sea walls and canals or renewable energy. We are incapable of doing anything because of people with attitudes like yours.

Old 10-06-2022, 12:17 PM

9,099 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Can you give one single example of a climate change policy that is impacting fertility rates?

Didn't think so.
There is no direct relationship between climate change policies and birth rates but there is an indirect one. Climate change policies make people feel less prosperous. When people don't feel prosperous they don't willing have children.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:12 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
There is no direct relationship between climate change policies and birth rates but there is an indirect one. Climate change policies make people feel less prosperous. When people don't feel prosperous they don't willing have children.
Let me see your source for the underlined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies