Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 11:33 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Horrifying. I have a feeling the mother wasn't exactly a responsible dog owner.

Just doing a quick search on Google or YouTube, it's shocking how many of these dog attacks where children have been maimed or killed have happened so far this year.

https://wreg.com/news/local/children...g-attack-scso/

Quote:
Two children were killed, and their mother was seriously injured after they were attacked by their family dogs Wednesday afternoon.

The Shelby County Sheriff’s Office said the attack happened inside a home in the 700 block of Sylvan Road near Shelby Forest State Park around 3:30 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB2AVHfAb2w

Old 10-06-2022, 07:22 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Once again Pitbulls are the problem. They are adorable loyal and lovable dogs until they are not. What is it with that breed that has them losing their lovable nature and turning wild? We often blame the people that favor these dogs because their owners often use them as an extension of how tough they are.

I remember seeing 2 thick pitbulls being walked by baggy clothes hoodie wearing punks, one had a massive chain around its neck and the other was dragging a tire. Pitbulls go paw in hand with the Punks.

This is how they get their bad names but there is also the attacks.

Those poor kids, they never stood a chance.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:49 AM

7,372 posts, read 3,533,397 times
it is a thug breed that thugs overwhelmingly own. i have an American Stratford Terrier/Pit Bull and have young children. I am fully aware of what my dog is. She is great with people and kids. she has her limits as she is an animal and animals can be unpredictable. Dysfunctional people who have no business owning dogs are the problem. just like guns, irresponsible people will be irresponsible. ban pit bulls? no. it’s sad that kids had to die, but they didn’t have a chance from the moment they were conceived. you can’t save every life, nor should you.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:04 AM

1,747 posts, read 880,219 times
As a parent, I couldn't imagine ever having a pitbull or doberman as a pet around you children. You want a dog that is good with kids like a black or yellow lab. Very mellow dogs and very protective of their people.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:07 AM

5,995 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
it is a thug breed that thugs overwhelmingly own. i have an American Stratford Terrier/Pit Bull and have young children. I am fully aware of what my dog is. She is great with people and kids. she has her limits as she is an animal and animals can be unpredictable. Dysfunctional people who have no business owning dogs are the problem. just like guns, irresponsible people will be irresponsible. ban pit bulls? no. it’s sad that kids had to die, but they didn’t have a chance from the moment they were conceived. you can’t save every life, nor should you.
The problem is that the consequences of the actions of irresponsible people often adversely affect RESPONSIBLE people. A mail carrier, an old person walking down the street, or a kid on a bicycle are just as likely to be the VICTIMS of irresponsible people as are the irresponsible people.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:14 AM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Yeah... before I even opened the thread, I took a wild guess as to what breed it was. Why am I always able to guess the right breed? Elementary, my dear Watson: it's always the same breed.

I have no more sympathy for the alleged adults who are responsible for this than I would if they were storing 100-year-old sweating dynamite in their furnace room or loaded guns in their toddler's crib. It's just too bad the kids had to pay the price for their idiocy.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:15 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
I will never allow any small children near any of my dogs I have had over the years I do not trust any of my dogs because you don't know if they are having a bad day or a bad toothache because dogs cannot talk. in order to protect children and our dogs we must think for them. Pit bulls are known to be unpredicable.I personally would never own one.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:15 AM

7,372 posts, read 3,533,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
The problem is that the consequences of the actions of irresponsible people often adversely affect RESPONSIBLE people. A mail carrier, an old person walking down the street, or a kid on a bicycle are just as likely to be the VICTIMS of irresponsible people as are the irresponsible people.

it’s almost like there is something called life and tragedy can strike at any moment. some feel the solution is more laws. laws never affect the impulsive underclass.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:19 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Pitbulls, Dobermans, Rottweilers, and German Shepherds require training and socialization very early on and everyone in the household needs to be trained on how to interact with those dogs. I have had one of each (three at the same time) and I no longer do because while I love them, it was just nerve-racking going to dog parks, walks, and having guests over because many people do not know how to interact with these dogs and can trigger a reaction without knowing how they did it. Also, many owners leave these dogs locked up in the house all day and don't get them outside to run and work. These dogs can be scary when anxious and full of energy from not being handled correctly and not allowed to burn that energy off

It was just too stressful for me to deal with after 20 years. When I had them I never relaxed at a dog park or in a social setting with them and I did't realize how stressed I was in those situations even with proper handling, socialization, and training. It's like being on guard duty all the time.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:22 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjnh View Post
As a parent, I couldn't imagine ever having a pitbull or doberman as a pet around you children. You want a dog that is good with kids like a black or yellow lab. Very mellow dogs and very protective of their people.
Generally true.

It is not wise to categorize the behavior of any breed or species of animal or human.

Are humans friendly?????? Sure, especially in the city of brotherly love and sanctuary city of chicago.

Each animal is an individual as with humans, genetics, personal experience plays into observed behaviors. Inbreeding and over breeding brings with it anomalies in behavior and physiology on top of the genetic and environmental contribution.

If it has teeth it bites!

Young cousin went upstairs to get his coat, beloved, long time family spaniel chewed up his face.

Just as people flip out so do animals.

Biologists, news articles, WIKI declare the characteristics of a species behavior to imply rigid uniformity. NOT!!!! Nature creates one off litter mates to ensure species survival.

Some dogs and some people are heaven sent to become soul mates, others not so much. If it has teeth, weighs nearly as much as you or your kid, be careful! In the large exotic animal business it was the caretakers who felt a bond with their charges and knew what they were thinking, who were most often injured or killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies