Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 06:07 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26 View Post
They should get life in prison if caught. They are a danger to society.
I’m not suggesting that their behavior is acceptable. I personally think jail time and financial restitution to the owner would be appropriate, but life in prison for a property crime where nobody was hurt seems extreme to me. I would add that I think it is appropriate to punish the act as opposed to the motivation for the act, though others certainly disagree with me on this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 06:15 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,132,650 times
Portland is an increasingly good example of what happens when individual members of societal hivemind see their extremist political worldviews as an extension of their own identity. You see your city being reduced to an unpredictable, dangerous quasi-hellscape, but you're impotent to vote for change because doing so would force an internal revelation, calling your entire life and belief system into question. Most people (left or right) lack the fortitude to do this — at least until the point of no return has been crossed, in which case regret becomes the chief focus and is often only ameliorated by one's expiring breath.

*ominous music plays*

Old 10-07-2022, 06:32 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Destroying a coffee shop because you don’t agree that someone is having an event to give the public an opportunity to engage/talk to police officers doesn’t feel like a legitimate form of protest.
Do you think the Boston Tea Party was a legitimate form of protest? Do you think they should have just waved signs instead?

Quote:
I don’t think the coffee hour reasonably rises to the level of a political act or governmental action that requires violence because the affected parties have no voice in government.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The people with a monopoly on violence in the US are drug gangs. They're involved in about 75% of all urban shootings and thus likely over half the gun violence in the US.
By definition, government is the monopolization of force. That is what government is.

With that said, I'm not here to defend criminals. I'm really just playing devil's advocate. Plus I find the worship of police rather obnoxious. The Police aren't good. They're at best a necessary evil. It's almost like conservatives never read the Declaration of Independence or Thomas Paine's Common Sense(and they haven't).

https://img.ifunny.co/images/b199eba...80dcf45d_1.jpg

Old 10-07-2022, 06:43 AM

9,839 posts, read 4,623,002 times
Quote:
I’m not suggesting that their behavior is acceptable. I personally think jail time and financial restitution to the owner would be appropriate, but life in prison for a property crime where nobody was hurt seems extreme to me. I would add that I think it is appropriate to punish the act as opposed to the motivation for the act, though others certainly disagree with me on this point.
I'd venture to say these thugs have criminal records which should boost their sentence. They also seem to have no problem with a vigorous effort or violence of action. Some of those swinging and smashing seem to have an affinity for aggression.

Last edited by anononcty; 10-07-2022 at 06:55 AM..

Old 10-07-2022, 06:53 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Heh. Spent the evening trashing a coffee shop.

Do ya think they missed any work?

Old 10-07-2022, 07:52 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
As a matter of principle, I'm opposed. But as you know, the ends justify the means. In the long run, whether what they did was right or wrong depends on the outcome.

The outcome should be that these thugs get arrested for damaging someone's private business.

Quote:
They believe they are using violence to fight against people who assert a monopoly on violence, and who regularly oppress and terrorize good people. What is the punishment for a traitor? What about someone who aids, abets, and comforts a traitor?

Who are they fighting? A coffee shop owner and her business or the police? Go try and damage a police station if they have the balls to do so. See what happens to them. I would gladly water their graves

Quote:
Whether these people are bad or good depends on whether you believe the law and its enforcers are legitimate. For instance, the most immediate cause of the American Revolution was the Boston Tea Party. Where a mob raided a British ship and dumped its cargo into the harbor. Is there an American alive today who would consider them criminals who deserved life in prison or worse?
So you are making an analogy between this attack on a private business who hosted an event with police officers with the Boston Tea Party? LOL

Quote:
Which begs the question, is this government legitimate? What is a legitimate government? Was the British government legitimate? Why or why not?

What a clownish question. So now Antifa in your eyes are Patriots who are protesting against an oppressive government that offered no representation to it's people?

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 10-07-2022 at 09:10 AM..

Old 10-07-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Do you think the Boston Tea Party was a legitimate form of protest? Do you think they should have just waved signs instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

By definition, government is the monopolization of force. That is what government is.

With that said, I'm not here to defend criminals. I'm really just playing devil's advocate. Plus I find the worship of police rather obnoxious. The Police aren't good. They're at best a necessary evil. It's almost like conservatives never read the Declaration of Independence or Thomas Paine's Common Sense(and they haven't).

https://img.ifunny.co/images/b199eba...80dcf45d_1.jpg
Well in the Boston Tea Party matter, as I understand it (and my understanding of pre Revolutionary War history is rudimentary at best), was that the colonists involved were protesting that they were being taxed by a government that refused to give them at seat at the table to establish tax policy (among other matters)….the proverbial taxation without representation, right? Correct me if I am mistaken with my simplistic characterization of events. That seems like a bigger/more significant issue than trashing a coffee shop because you don’t care for who is drinking coffee there. In the former case, the colonists wouldn’t appear to have a political means to address their situation via a direct vote or through their elected representatives. You basically have an authoritarian government dictating policy without a means for those impacted to be meaningfully involved in the process. Not the same with the coffee shop….so I see the issues as being dramatically different.

I didn’t watch your Big Lebowski video, so can’t comment on the point you were trying to make. But I do like the movie….I run across it every few years on TV. Always makes me laugh.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I'd venture to say these thugs have criminal records which should boost their sentence. They also seem to have no problem with a vigorous effort or violence of action. Some of those swinging and smashing seem to have an affinity for aggression.
I don’t know if they are career criminals or stupid kids who got caught up in a one-time act of vandalism. Either way, they should be punished. As I said before, I think jail time and restitution are appropriate. First time offenders…probably less time than individuals who seem to be making such behavior a habit. I doubt I would be in favor of locking up even repeat offenders of property crimes for life, but I suppose depending on the extent and frequency of their past actions, I could imagine a very meaningful vacation behind bars.

Old 10-07-2022, 10:31 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
These people are retarded. They really are. They just do things on a whim without thinking.
Basically, like here, when someone posts a reactive comment on a thread just based on the title. In fact, that’s exactly what these morons do.
Well, they are liberals, what do you expect? Most aren't very bright to start with, and nearly all react out of primal emotion rather than thought or reason. Rather they called themselves Pantifa or just common criminals, they are all the same. "Wokeness" gives them an excuse to be vicious and violent, and justifies their actions to them. There is a song called Witch Hunt that sort of sums them up.

Quote:
The night is black
Without a moon
The air is thick and still

The vigilantes gather on
The lonely torchlit hill

Features distorted in the flickering light
The faces are twisted and grotesque
Silent and stern in the sweltering night
The mob moves like demons possessed
Quiet in conscience, calm in their right
Confident their ways are best

The righteous rise
With burning eyes
Of hatred and ill-will

Madmen fed on fear and lies
To beat, and burn, and kill

Old 10-07-2022, 10:58 AM

779 posts, read 423,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Heh. Spent the evening trashing a coffee shop.

Do ya think they missed any work?
Sorry guys, can't make it to the midnight coffee shop razing tonight. Got a big presentation in the morning and I'm already behind on my TPS reports this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies