Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 07:17 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Sometimes I wish there was less focus on the statistics and more focus on the root of the problem.

How do we address this disparity? How does society "fix" the problem? What are the solutions?
Because that is racist!
Every time someone talks about the “root” of the problem, they’re called a racist, or insensitive to history or whatever. That’s what you get for trying to address the truth of the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 07:24 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Just keep putting more guns into the population with little or no background checks.
GOP wanted more guns into the society. They got their wish.
The results were predictable.
Are you really naive enough to think that the majority of people responsible for these crimes actually purchase their firearms ? Which part of not following laws don't you get ?

And, for the record. Every firearm I own, with the exception of a vintage rifle, I've had to go through a background check, and my handguns are registered with the Michigan State Police.

Michigan, for the most part has everything the anti firearm crowd wants, background checks, registration, and license required to carry. And yet we have extremely violent hotspots, while the majority of the state has virtually no crime/violence and plenty of firearms.

The problem isn't the firearms. The problem is people willing to break laws, risk incarceration, and kill others.

Do you really think individuals like this GAF about background checks ?
https://youtu.be/551_wlV44GU?t=9

https://youtu.be/pPYCw08Iux0

Old 10-07-2022, 07:28 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Are you really naive enough to think that the majority of people responsible for these crimes actually purchase their firearms ? Which part of not following laws don't you get ?

And, for the record. Every firearm I own, with the exception of a vintage rifle, I've had to go through a background check, and my handguns are registered with the Michigan State Police.

Michigan, for the most part has everything the anti firearm crowd wants, background checks, registration, and license required to carry. And yet we have extremely violent hotspots, while the majority of the state has virtually no crime/violence and plenty of firearms.

The problem isn't the firearms. The problem is people willing to break laws, risk incarceration, and kill others.
I think like many looney and not grounded in reality lefties, the point was if we banned, outlawed and destroyed all firearms, there wouldn’t be any more crime.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:43 AM

Another thing, people seem to forget. 54% of firearms related deaths are suicides. That is more proof that we aren't address mental health issues that plaque society. And I'm sure those mental health issues trickle into the crime/violence side of it as well, mass shootings, school shootings...etc.

Just look at the mass stabbing that just happened in Vegas. It is another huge red flag that something is decaying within our society, and no amount of legislation or bans is going to effect it.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:54 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I don’t think so. If they broke the crime stats down by income or net worth of the perpetrators, I think you would see that those in the lower economic percentiles commit a proportionately larger share of the crimes. One’s racial/ethnic background is not correlated to violent tendencies.
The first part of that is questionable per your implication.

The second part is simply wrong. Racial/ethnic background may or may not be casual but is 100% for sure correlated to violent tendencies and violent crime. FE I'm not aware of an OECD country with higher white violent crime conviction rates than black violent crime conviction rates are you?

Old 10-07-2022, 08:07 AM

3,281 posts, read 1,418,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The first part of that is questionable per your implication.

The second part is simply wrong. Racial/ethnic background may or may not be casual but is 100% for sure correlated to violent tendencies and violent crime. FE I'm not aware of an OECD country with higher white violent crime conviction rates than black violent crime conviction rates are you?
Race and socioeconomic status are very much correlated US….so sure crime is correlated to race, but race is not the causal factor. The socioeconomic status is. I can’t speak to such associations in other countries.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:10 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Another thing, people seem to forget. 54% of firearms related deaths are suicides. That is more proof that we aren't address mental health issues that plaque society. And I'm sure those mental health issues trickle into the crime/violence side of it as well, mass shootings, school shootings...etc.

Just look at the mass stabbing that just happened in Vegas. It is another huge red flag that something is decaying within our society, and no amount of legislation or bans is going to effect it.
I totally agree, we have one messed up society, that much is clear.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Race and socioeconomic status are very much correlated US….so sure crime is correlated to race, but race is not the causal factor. The socioeconomic status is. I can’t speak to such associations in other countries.
And yet, the majority of the poorest areas in Michigan, aren't the most violent.

I think it has more to do with family (or lack of), education, and culture. Take a family that has no father figures, that are on their third generation of living on welfare, that has little to no education, blames everyone but themselves for their situation, and thinks the police are out to get them...and you get what we see in our inner cities and trailer parks across the nation. It's a recipe for disaster.

Old 10-07-2022, 09:10 AM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They’ve always put whites and Hispanics together in crime statistics. This is not a new thing.

Hispanic is an ethnicity, but race is race. That’s why you can have white and black Hispanics. But the truth is there are far more white hispanics than black Hispanics.
They lump white and Hispanic together in crime stats

But when it comes to school demographic or government census, Hispanics have their own category

How’s convenience

Old 10-07-2022, 09:15 AM

3,281 posts, read 1,418,208 times
Quote:
And yet, the majority of the poorest areas in Michigan, aren't the most violent.

I think it has more to do with family (or lack of), education, and culture. Take a family that has no father figures, that are on their third generation of living on welfare, that has little to no education, blames everyone but themselves for their situation, and thinks the police are out to get them...and you get what we see in our inner cities and trailer parks across the nation. It's a recipe for disaster.
I can’t speak to the specifics re your Michigan comment….I believe you, to do a meaningful assessment, one needs to control for urban/rural environment, educational status, parental status, etc….many of the exact factors you mentioned above. I’m certain all of those things drive crime just as you suggested. If you hold all of that constant, I think you will find that the empirical literature out there shows a correlation between economic factors and crime. I know you will also find that economic status, education, parental status are all correlated. In short, I agree with you….all of these socioeconomic factors are correlated with criminal activity…it is not just income/net worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies