Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 06:48 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,240,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
See: Duverger's Law.

Ranked choice voting significantly changes the calculus. If we had it, it would really increase the chances of multiple parties being competitive.

Imagine if we had 6 parties instead of the current, effective, 2:
Trump-MAGA
Republican (traditional)
Libertarian
Fiscal conservative, social liberal
Democrat (traditional)
Green-Social Justice

I bet the results and final vote count would look almost like a normal distribution.
But we don't and never will. See: Ross Perot, 1996. The two big parties don't like threats to their rule.
A lot more recently.... Trump was an independent who won as a Republican. And "they" made sure it wouldn't happen again in 2020.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:28 AM

17 posts, read 14,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
But we don't and never will. See: Ross Perot, 1996. The two big parties don't like threats to their rule.
A lot more recently.... Trump was an independent who won as a Republican. And "they" made sure it wouldn't happen again in 2020.
Imagine if we had presidents chosen by 33% of the vote. Or 20%. Or 10%.

Our Founders called this “tyranny by the minority” and created the EC to prevent it.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:34 AM

6,760 posts, read 9,325,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I think Biden voters saved the country. Trump was more dangerous than I ever imagined and it has become clear the GOP would never have stopped him. The GOP is weirdly afraid of Trump and would have done his bidding no matter what he told them to do. So no, voting for Biden was an incredibly important vote.
I was drinking coffee while reading this and almost spit my coffee all over my iPad due to laughter.

Can you tell us why President Trump was so “dangerous?” Other than mean Tweets or “not liking his style”, of course.

I don’t really want President Trump to run for office again, but he’s WAY better than Joe Biden and this cabinet of incompetent “adults in the room.” Side note: the amount of people who actually think Pete Buttigieg would be a good president is quite naueseating.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:48 AM

4,250 posts, read 3,168,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
And to put those votes in perspective, that was the margin in just TWO States, New York and California.

Biden won California by about 5 Million and New York by about 2 Million votes.
And when you break it down further it was just a few counties in a few states!!

Old 10-08-2022, 07:56 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,247,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I think Biden voters saved the country. Trump was more dangerous than I ever imagined, and it has become clear the GOP would never have stopped him. The GOP is weirdly afraid of Trump and would have done his bidding no matter what he told them to do. So no, voting for Biden was an incredibly important vote.
Incredibly laughable!

Biden voters (and others) installed the true danger in the White House. On the brink of World War III in 19 months and you have the temerity to call President Trump the danger?

You're in luck, you won't have to endure mean tweets during your nuclear winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.