Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2022, 03:13 PM

19,713 posts, read 10,101,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I’m sorry to hear about your experience. I can understand how a personal experience like that would shape one’s perspective. While I realize it is of no consolation to you, your experience was a rare aberration. Most people were fortunately vaccinated and had no side effects, or those they had were benign. I’ve had 5 jabs and had no issues. To date, I haven’t had COVID. If I believed any vaccine had resulted in nearly killing me, I most certainly would have a different perspective about that vaccination.
There were several hundred thousand severe side effects reported.

Old 10-09-2022, 03:14 PM

3,251 posts, read 1,406,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Are you actually arguing that there should have been no lockdowns? No masking? That we should have just gone along as usual, despite the fact that a virus that has killed over 1 million Americans was sweeping through the country? What was your secret remedy that would have worked better? Keep in mind that you are not allowed to use hindsight to make those recommendations.
I think your last sentence is pretty darn important.

Old 10-09-2022, 03:15 PM

19,713 posts, read 10,101,966 times
Quote:
Are you actually arguing that there should have been no lockdowns? No masking? That we should have just gone along as usual, despite the fact that a virus that has killed over 1 million Americans was sweeping through the country? What was your secret remedy that would have worked better? Keep in mind that you are not allowed to use hindsight to make those recommendations.
Even Fauci admitted that masks did no good. The WHO did a study in 2019 that said masks were ineffective against infectious diseases.

Old 10-09-2022, 03:15 PM

3,113 posts, read 937,362 times
Quote:
1. You didn't read what I said. You cannot gain immunity to tetanus in everyday life. Of course people get immunity from getting tetanus and surviving. That happens with nearly all diseases. However, I've seen anti-vaxxers argue they don't need tetanus shots, because they think they will be immune from just living and eating right. That's very untrue.
Well, in everyday life you will come across the bacteria (and thus toxin). Unlike other vaccines, the one aimed at Tetanus is aimed at the toxin, not the bacterium. It has not reduced the level of Tetanus in our communities one bit. The idea is you won't die if you get the bacteria inside a cut.

TBH, I still don't understand what you're arguing. But I think you will find this study interesting: https://journals.asm.org/doi/epdf/10...1.267-268.1985

I'm having a hard time copying and pasting blurbs from that pdf, so I will just summarize:

For Falashees, Ethiopian Jews immigrating to Israel, none got the Tetanus Toxoid vaccine, but 197/200 had detectable antibodies for the toxin in their blood.

Quote:
Several years before the discovery and introduction of tetanus toxoid as a vaccine, Tenbroeck and Bauer(10) were able to detect tetanus bacteria in the stool and antitoxin in the blood of one-third of a group of citizens of Peking,China. Since then, several publications have appeared de-scribing natural immunity in small isolated populations(11,12).There is enough evidence today to challenge the axio-matic statement that only active immunization is the key to disease prevention.
Quote:
3. Here's an excerpt from this article from the BBC that mentions why cytokine storms in healthy individuals were a likely cause of many deaths in a population that you would expect to have fewer https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...-was-so-deadly
"Besides replicating very quickly, the 1918 strain seems to trigger a particularly intense response from the immune system, including a ‘cytokine storm’ – the rapid release of immune cells and inflammatory molecules. Although a robust immune response should help us fight infection, an over-reaction of this kind can overload the body, leading to severe inflammation and a build-up of fluid in the lungs that could increase the chance of secondary infections. The cytokine storm might help to explain why young, healthy adults – who normally find it easier to shake off flu – were the worst affected, since in this case their stronger immune systems created an even more severe cytokine storm."
This is just some journalist editorializing. Probably no scientific background.

Let's put some facts into perspective

1. Science back in the day didn't even know it was a virus killing their people [they thought it was bacterium] and had no way to know if a 'cytokine storm' was to blame

2. Scientists today have guessed it could be related to a 'cytokine storm' as we see that in elderly patients who die from Influenza (read: not healthy young people, but sick/elderly people die of a cytokine storm)

3. There are no precise definitions of a cytokine storm, it's not really a scientific term

4. Cytokine storm is more likely to happen in elderly people with frail immune systems than young healthy people. We see that with Influenza and with COVID, though the 'cytokine storms' are very different between both.

Old 10-09-2022, 03:20 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,465,069 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with Fauci making that statement. If he doesn't, and a new, worse strain of Covid shows up, he will be excoriated for not warning everyone. It's also a strong possibility that a new strain will appear.
it optics

the most recent variants have been LESS DAMGEROUS

the only way he could predict ""a new, more dangerous Covid variant"" would be if he/they MADE IT that way

Old 10-09-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
There were several hundred thousand severe side effects reported.
Again, I realize where you are coming from given your injury, but in the US alone, 620 million doses of COVID vaccine have been delivered in the US. The CDC references to serious vaccine side effects and death are stated to be “rare”…you probably have seen this, but here is that reference: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-vaccines.html. I am sorry you were injured…it sucks. But it doesn’t change the fact that the vaccine is very safe.

Old 10-09-2022, 03:30 PM

8,405 posts, read 4,568,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I don’t mean to offend you, but I think your characterization to minimize the probability of COVID mutating into something more harmful is inappropriate, and I think statements like yours add far more to the polarization of the situation than does the statement by Fauci. I don’t see Fauci’s statement as anything more than a prudent warning about the possibility of something “bad” happening, and his recommendation to get vaccinated to reduce your personal health risk if that “bad” thing happens.

To answer your specific question, I am (like virtually everyone who posts here) not qualified to determine if “it is more probable than not there will be a serious variant”. I have enough confidence in public health officials, the pharmaceutical industry, reputable professionals who practice medicine, scientists who study infectious diseases to take their advice seriously. I agree that they could be wrong, but I don’t believe for a minute that they are giving anything but advice that they believe is in the best interest of the public.
Your second paragraph. How can you have faith in all those people when they aren't allowed to think anything other than the official narrative? To me that is huge and unforgivable. How can you trust someone who is told what to say?

Last edited by clutchcargo777; 10-09-2022 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-09-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Your second pargraph. How can you have faith in all those people when they aren't allowed to think anything other than the official narrative? To me that is huge and unforgivable. How can you trust someone who is told what to say?
Your ask “How can you have faith in all those people when they aren't allowed to think anything other than the official narrative?” when there is no basis in fact to assume, think, or believe otherwise. People, of course, are welcome to form their own opinions about the integrity and validity of any statements, but I would hope that they would be made in the basis of facts as opposed to misinformation. I would also add that as a pragmatic matter, there are so many independent institutions, people, and governments that have views that are more or less the same regarding the benefits of vaccination, masking, etc. that a conspiracy to make sure everyone “sticks to the official narrative” is impossible. They are just sharing and relating the best information they have based on the current science.

Old 10-09-2022, 03:54 PM

14,214 posts, read 4,582,826 times
When GOP takes over the White House and Congress, they need to do a complete clean house

1) Dr Fraudci needs to stand trial for murders and crime against humanity
2) Complete clean house DHS and DOJ
3) Go after the Biden’s crime syndicate
Attached Thumbnails
Dr. Fauci: A new, more dangerous Covid variant could emerge this winter-71c6b8f9-04d8-444a-aeed-5a98431f34e2.jpeg  

Old 10-09-2022, 04:23 PM

3,113 posts, read 937,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
When GOP takes over the White House and Congress, they need to do a complete clean house

1) Dr Fraudci needs to stand trial for murders and crime against humanity
2) Complete clean house DHS and DOJ
3) Go after the Biden’s crime syndicate
Let me add to this great list

4) Abolish CDC altogether
5) Breakup FDA into 3 agencies [1 for approving drugs, 1 for conducting clinical trials, 1 for monitoring safety data of approved drugs]

Pharmaceutical companies should not be allowed to do clinical trials on their own products anymore.

6) Make Bill Gates give all proceeds from the vaccines he got to poor developing countries, and improve their engineering infrastructure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.