Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 08:42 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Stuff like that did happen to Mexican-Americans. And there were some Mexican-Americans who had a "no Blacks allowed" policy.

Texas was a Jim Crow state, and yes, Mexican-Americans were discriminated against in Texas. However, there were Mexican-Americans who, rather than join with Blacks, tried hard to be included and counted as "White". Some Mexican-Americans would treat Blacks badly so that they could ally with Whites.

https://southernspaces.org/2012/brow...d-white-texas/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2022, 06:37 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Waiting for Cedillo and de Leon to step down.

"On a quiet Tuesday afternoon at Eso Won Books, a beloved Leimert Park bookstore that has served as a conduit for the Black community to have conversations about race and other social issues for more than three decades, co-owner James Fugate was talking about the recording with a longtime customer.

“The real question is, are there people in the wings with the moral fiber necessary to move forward?” said Clint Rosemond of Inglewood, as he stood at the checkout counter inside the bare bookstore, which is set to close by the end of December. “Cause these [three] are bottom feeders.”

For Black Angelenos, recording stokes anger, fears of losing hard-fought gains:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...n-to-recording

Old 10-14-2022, 06:40 AM

“To all little Latina girls across the city- I hope I’ve inspired you to dream beyond that which you can see” - Martinez

"Girl WHAT? Cómo crees?
You are not # goals or inspo; you are a cautionary tale of power hungry girl-bossery gone awry. This is an example of narcissism & gaslighting BYE"

https://twitter.com/MelinnaTeatrina/...FccjOMoVcxUHEw

Old 10-14-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Waiting for Cedillo and de Leon to step down.

"On a quiet Tuesday afternoon at Eso Won Books, a beloved Leimert Park bookstore that has served as a conduit for the Black community to have conversations about race and other social issues for more than three decades, co-owner James Fugate was talking about the recording with a longtime customer.

“The real question is, are there people in the wings with the moral fiber necessary to move forward?” said Clint Rosemond of Inglewood, as he stood at the checkout counter inside the bare bookstore, which is set to close by the end of December. “Cause these [three] are bottom feeders.”

For Black Angelenos, recording stokes anger, fears of losing hard-fought gains:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...n-to-recording
Normally, you hear about this is southern states like Georgia, Alabama Mississippi, etc. I expect this kind of backroom trash in in one of the former Confederate states. I live in the South, so I have seen some stupid stuff. Los Angeles, on the other hand, this is a different beast.

I've always felt like I could never live in Los Angeles due to the problems there. I know there are racial tensions between Blacks and Hispanics in Los Angeles. It's gotten to where many Blacks just leave the city of Los Angeles, or leave Southern California altogether. However, normally, it's gang activity I expect to hear about. This political power grab, this is crazy.

Old 10-14-2022, 12:16 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
So he deserves to have his child dragged into this?

“I really, really don’t want to be here today. I want — I want to be home with my family right now,” said Bonin, fighting tears through a nearly 12-minute speech that was the best thing to come out of City Hall in ages.

“My husband and I are both raw and angry and heartbroken and sick — for our family and for Los Angeles,” he said. “I am reeling from the revelations of what these people said. Trusted servants who voiced hate and bile. Public officials are supposed to call us to our highest selves, and these people stabbed us and shot us and cut the spirit of Los Angeles.”

As a politician, said Bonin — who has been a recall target largely over the entrenched homelessness in his district — you become used to taking hits.

“But my son?” he said. “Man, that makes my soul bleed, and it makes my temper burn. And I know I’m not alone. Because Los Angeles has spoken, and it feels the same way.”

The recording that sparked the controversy was essentially a strategy session in which Martinez and colleagues discussed ways to carve out more power and representation for Latino communities. Bonin, in his council chambers speech, said the agenda included efforts to “disenfranchise Blacks and renters and to weaken the voice of progressives.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...umn-mike-bonin
Don't twist my words. I felt terrible about his son. No, he did not deserve to be dragged into.. I simply made a general statement about Bonin and what he has done to Venice.

Old 10-14-2022, 04:05 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,462,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perennial millennial View Post
You're on every thread posting about "Mexican racism"

It's pretty obvious you're more focused on them than others, for some reason

All groups are a bit racist in LA, except maybe Anglos. Can we stop the virtue signaling.

Old 10-14-2022, 04:33 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,024,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Stuff like that did happen to Mexican-Americans. And there were some Mexican-Americans who had a "no Blacks allowed" policy.

Texas was a Jim Crow state, and yes, Mexican-Americans were discriminated against in Texas. However, there were Mexican-Americans who, rather than join with Blacks, tried hard to be included and counted as "White". Some Mexican-Americans would treat Blacks badly so that they could ally with Whites.

https://southernspaces.org/2012/brow...d-white-texas/
That was an interesting read. I honestly had never heard of that movement. Clearly that was a DUMB strategy!

When it comes to governmental politics I don’t see Blacks and Hispanics allying too often. The lust for power is a strong force. I see them come together more on movements such as diversity and inclusion. Look at the boards of major companies, or the executive staffs, and it becomes obvious that both Blacks and Browns are woefully under-represented. And companies try to compensate for that by promoting more women. …but that’s another story…

Old 10-15-2022, 06:48 AM

He's out in December, anyway, having lost the June primary in District 1 to Eunisses Hernandez.

"City Councilmember Gil Cedillo, 68, stepped in to guide the discussion among himself, Councilmembers Nury Martinez and Kevin De León, and Los Angeles County Federation of Labor leader Ron Herrera, when the conversation strayed from the topic of the 15 City Council districts.

“Let me say this. So unlike 25 years ago, we now have a Mexican in charge of the [county Federation of Labor]. We have a Mexican in charge of the [City] Council,” Cedillo said. “We have more members on the council. We’re in a different spot now than we were 25 years ago. That thing for us is to exercise our power.”

Cedillo’s description of the rise in Latino power matched his own path to City Hall..."

But he claimed that he didn’t make racist remarks or mock his colleagues. Maybe that's why he hasn't apologized.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ignation-calls

Old 10-15-2022, 09:17 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
God I love it when they eat their own.
Ah, there's the Rub.

Old 10-15-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
That was an interesting read. I honestly had never heard of that movement. Clearly that was a DUMB strategy!

When it comes to governmental politics I don’t see Blacks and Hispanics allying too often. The lust for power is a strong force. I see them come together more on movements such as diversity and inclusion. Look at the boards of major companies, or the executive staffs, and it becomes obvious that both Blacks and Browns are woefully under-represented. And companies try to compensate for that by promoting more women. …but that’s another story…
It is a sad read, in my opinion. It tells me something. It says that no matter how bad many people have it, being Black meant being at the lowest of the low.

I would have hoped that there would be more examples of Blacks and Hispanics allying together. I figured there being a common experience of being oppressed, this would be an impetus to ally more often. Instead, there were more examples of the opposite, especially in Texas.

I think the reason we don't hear about this strategy is because it would open up a can of worms. It was not only a dumb strategy, it was a cruel one. Placating to a racist mindset to fend off racism. It was a dumb strategy, but looking back at history, I'm not totally surprised. Jim Crow was about keeping Blacks subjugated. It was about making sure Blacks were kept to the margins of society. Most Hispanics didn't fit neatly into this dichotomy. They weren't Black, but they weren't full-blooded White either. Hispanics weren't treated very well in Texas. However, they weren't Black. I think the mindset was "we're not Black, so why are you treating us the way you would treat Blacks?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies