Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 06:24 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Good riddance indeed.
She's still on the L.A. City Council. She resigned as president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 06:25 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The left will still claim victory.

They’ll take any moral victory they can get.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:36 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
How is she Latinx? I highly doubt she identifies as that. She probably identifies as Chicana with her age but likely Latino/Latina. This Latinx crap is so dumb and needsto be buried. Latine is way better if we want to be "universal".
Chicana had dropped in common usage long ago. It would be like a Black, African American or ADOS politician identifying as Negro or Colored. And she is of the class, the politicians who get term limited out of office and then trade jobs with others from their clan, who publicly use the LatinX term.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:30 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Yeah, pretty hilarious.

The double standard of slurs from public figures.

I'm just surprised that the blame didn't ultimately get shifted to "White supremacy".

Old 10-11-2022, 08:20 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Calls for Los Angeles City Councilmembers Nury Martinez, Kevin de León and Gil Cedillo to resign continued to mount on Monday, as the fallout from an incendiary leaked conversation radiated through the city.

The political implosion, unparalleled in recent L.A. history, was set off by a leaked audio recording reported Sunday by The Times.

The list of political figures and organizations issuing those calls took in Mayor Eric Garcetti, former Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, U.S. Sen. Alex Padilla (D-Calif.), the Los Angeles County Democratic Party, Reps. Adam B. Schiff (D-Burbank), Tony Cárdenas (D-Pacoima) and Jimmy Gomez (D-Los Angeles), an array of labor unions and two mayoral candidates — Rep. Karen Bass (D-Los Angeles) and developer Rick Caruso.

Los Angeles County Federation of Labor President Ron Herrera resigned from his post Monday night at a meeting with the federation’s executive board, two sources close to the situation told The Times, requesting anonymity to describe sensitive internal matters. One source said the organization would make a formal statement Tuesday.

The political futures of Martinez, De León and Cedillo remained seriously in doubt.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...own-audio-leak

Old 10-11-2022, 08:23 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Should be a interesting day at City Hall today………. Drain the SWAMP!!!

Old 10-11-2022, 08:25 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I don't know why would anybody be surprised by this?

I grew up in an upper middle class beach community, I have posted it several times, the liberals /Democrats, pretty much all talked like this behind their closed doors. When I was just 8 years old, my brother decided to join the Marine Corps. As a girl, certainly I bragged about my brother. I remember the lady (a neighbor) asked my mom, "That beautiful boy of yours will join the military? Is he in trouble?"

I am not saying Republicans/conservatives are angels, but Democrats /liberals (the politicians) should not pretend they are perfect.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:27 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Calls for Los Angeles City Councilmembers Nury Martinez, Kevin de León and Gil Cedillo to resign continued to mount on Monday, as the fallout from an incendiary leaked conversation radiated through the city.

The political implosion, unparalleled in recent L.A. history, was set off by a leaked audio recording reported Sunday by The Times.

The list of political figures and organizations issuing those calls took in Mayor Eric Garcetti, former Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, U.S. Sen. Alex Padilla (D-Calif.), the Los Angeles County Democratic Party, Reps. Adam B. Schiff (D-Burbank), Tony Cárdenas (D-Pacoima) and Jimmy Gomez (D-Los Angeles), an array of labor unions and two mayoral candidates — Rep. Karen Bass (D-Los Angeles) and developer Rick Caruso.

Los Angeles County Federation of Labor President Ron Herrera resigned from his post Monday night at a meeting with the federation’s executive board, two sources close to the situation told The Times, requesting anonymity to describe sensitive internal matters. One source said the organization would make a formal statement Tuesday.

The political futures of Martinez, De León and Cedillo remained seriously in doubt.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...own-audio-leak
As a white guy that speaks enough Spanish and knows some bad words in some other languages.

Nothing is more enlightening than riding on a bus in a major US city and hearing racial commentary from minorities directed at other minorities. I was in a rural meeting hall with older white guys recently and there was like one butthole in there saying rude stuff.

I think the perception of racism in the US has been skewed from reality due to politics and we need to stop handing out free passes etc.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:53 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
They're all Democrats so they are all going to hell.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:19 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiger79 View Post
Politicians have to be for all of the people not just people that come from their ethnic/racial, religious, economical, sexual, or etc backgrounds. Too bad too many politicians of all types don't realize this. It'll be interesting to see if they can escape having to resign totally from office or just some of their positions.
+1 Agreed.

It was good to see Garcetti, Bass and Caruso all call for their resignations.

The Mayor and Council do not have any formal legal power to remove them so the bully pulpit is the only lever available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies