Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2022, 04:14 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Chicana had dropped in common usage long ago. It would be like a Black, African American or ADOS politician identifying as Negro or Colored. And she is of the class, the politicians who get term limited out of office and then trade jobs with others from their clan, who publicly use the LatinX term.
Nah there are old school folks in LA that still identify as Chicano/a. The Latinx term is one that has been forced on an entire community by people not from that community. It may have caught on a little for the Zoomer generation but it isnt taking a hold even among millenials. It sounds stupid, especialy when you consider Latino/a and Hispanic were terms Spanish speaking countries came to an agreement on, not white liberals (some with a drop of Hispanic in them so they claim it lol).

Like that Gabriel skit, many will forever call it "La-Tinx" to highlight the absurdity of the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 04:16 PM

1,300 posts, read 961,140 times
And her disparaging comments of Jews and Armenians too:

https://news.yahoo.com/leaked-record...193429888.html

Old 10-11-2022, 04:29 PM

383 posts, read 181,594 times
Witch hunt

Old 10-11-2022, 05:53 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perennial millennial View Post
Is she? In Latin America, using someone's physical features, whether it be skin color, hair texture, body type, height, etc. isn't considered offensive at all. Whether that's right or wrong is anybody's guess, but I remember growing up and black kids "joking" acting offended whenever they heard someone speaking Spanish and hearing "negro" (it didn't even have to be in reference to a person).
She was born and raised in the LA area so she didn't grow up in Latin America, but the Hispanics in LA who have called for her resignation are saying yes those are offensive terms they use among themselves. She said negrito not negro, which colloquially is darkie. This was said in the same breath as him being used like an accessory and raised like a white kid by his white adoptive parents, so she went beyond just description of color. As for Oaxacans I don't think describing them as short and dark on its own is offensive, but she did go on to call them ugly and from the village.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:33 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
This is exactly why I would never want to be a politician. Or celebrity. It's just funny to me, since she's brown and a woman, so you'd think she'd be "protected class", but I've noticed the media does seem to focus on the "wrongs" of Mexicans/Mexican-Americans in tensions and incidents between them and blacks, and not the other way around.

I just wish we knew who took the recording.
I don't have a clue what you are talking about, or why it would matter who recorded it. She acted in a very unprofessional way, insulting a small child and probably many of the people that used to support her. There was no excuse for her behavior. She appears to hate the world!

Quote:
She shouldn't have apologized. Why? 1) She didn't mean it, 2) It wouldn't have made a difference, 3) It's simply giving the woke mob what they want
1. Oh, she meant it, and not sorry she said it, sorry she got caught!
2. She was talking trash about a 2 year old, what sort of moron does that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Same with Jesse Jackson getting caught on a hot mic calling Obama the same thing.
Not the same at all, Obama was a man, and she was spewing racist insults toward a man and his 2 year old son. Children should be off limits, and are to decent human beings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
The comment that bothers me the most is,

In the context in which that comment was made, she could be referring to the child's behavior and implying the adoptive father is too permissive.

But the identity politics are strong with that one, so she could also be referring to the fact the kid is not being raised like a stereotypical black kid in a more ghetto style.

I can't say for sure what she meant, but if it's the latter, she is a terrible person.
Why was she referring to his child in the first place, especially calling the child name and speaking about the race of the child and his father?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Jews and Armenians both. She hates the world, which equates to hating herself, but I don't blame her for hating herself as she is an "unmentionable"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
She was born and raised in the LA area so she didn't grow up in Latin America, but the Hispanics in LA who have called for her resignation are saying yes those are offensive terms they use among themselves. She said negrito not negro, which colloquially is darkie. This was said in the same breath as him being used like an accessory and raised like a white kid by his white adoptive parents, so she went beyond just description of color. As for Oaxacans I don't think describing them as short and dark on its own is offensive, but she did go on to call them ugly and from the village.
She went bat-poop crazy with her attacks. I don't know that much about her, but she needs some psychological help and she should be removed from political office.

Black is a race of people, all the other names coming up here are not a race of people, just appear to designate more of a cultural identity or something. With over 2 million illegal aliens alone in CA, it could be difficult for anyone to decipher what the proper terms were for people of "Hispanic" heritage, but with blacks, it is a different story.

"Little monkey" for a black child is not acceptable in any place in our country that I know of!

Old 10-11-2022, 07:08 PM

1,108 posts, read 529,132 times
someone needs to shove a banana in the ******* mouth after that remark!

Old 10-11-2022, 07:14 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
This is what it takes to get Los Angelenos riled up? A few disparaging comments made in a private recording?
Is the homeless crisis, increasing crime rates, and urban decay not enough to do the trick? It's got to be something racial?

This is exactly why Los Angeles will always be plagued with problems.
The amount of energy people put into protesting at city hall today should have been put toward forcing the city government to take more measures to combat homelessness and crime. But no, the protesting simpletons at city hall today are obsessed with racial nonsense as usual, distracted from the real problems affecting their city.

It's a long-shot but maybe they'll wise up and eventually oust the Democrat dummies and put Republicans in office for a change.
It was more than disparaging comments--the whole point of the discussion was how they'd gerrymander districts to serve their interests and cut deals. All those other problems you mention are taking a back seat because they just view the city as a collection of racial groups whose duty it is to keep them in power.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:35 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Quote:
Witch hunt
How’s that job as a staffer for the LA City Clowncil going?

Old 10-11-2022, 07:53 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
I'm reveling in their troubles.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:30 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,275 times
Martinez gal is pretty darn harsh - has a tart mouth on her. Holy Moly. Politics has gotten so ugly. L.A. County BOS is no better. They do NOT care about their constituents. We live in LA County Unincorporated and in our community I feel we get left behind. It's very diverse and we have great neighbors but WOW you just have to wonder about these politicians who are running the show.

I felt bad about what they said about Mike Bonin's son BUT Bonin has created a a huge mess in Venice area/West Side (homeless issues). I do not have great respect for any of them at local level including Caruso and Bass who are running for office.

Lots of corruption in my humble opinion. What has been done to fix the homeless issues? Crime? Nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies