Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 10:39 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,678,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Newsflash O-Chem is hard. College professors are not your friend and yes can be condescending.

These kids are upset about not getting "Extra Credit". Yes, we are seeing the results of the "Everyone gets a Trophy" mentality.

It wasn't even a majority of his class, it was about 1/3 who signed the petition. I'd say this Professor has a very good unlawful termination lawsuit on his hands.
Not really. If you knew anything about academia you would know that adjuncts can be let go easily. Remember this is not his previous tenured job, it's a contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 12:29 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
organic chem is hard. like very hard. just ask those that had it (oo oo mee meee!)
There is no such thing as an "easy" organic chem teacher.

Probably the coolest thing about it was that we organic students knew about "cis" and "trans" way before it was cool.

Can't wait until they come out with "boat" and "chair" genders.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:53 AM

1,747 posts, read 879,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Not really. If you knew anything about academia you would know that adjuncts can be let go easily. Remember this is not his previous tenured job, it's a contract.

He may not have been tenured, but he can take his book and go home. Since he literally wrote the book used in the course, I would think previous classes that had no issues with him could be sited if he chose to sue. It's not like this was his first time teaching that course.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:46 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Silly relevant question:
What is his grade distribution compared to others teaching the same course there?

I had a prof who failed more of the class than passed. He was evil. He deliberately had the first test the first day PAST the free drop date so people could not drop. I still remember the class average on the first test was 44 and the highest grade was 82. No As. 1 B, several Cs. A dozenish Ds and a heap of Fs. There were about 50 students in the class.

I passed because the final was departmental and 40% of the grade. I aced it. I also did the 2 hour final in 40 minutes. My friends told me the final was hard and some did not finish. I told them, they had no idea what hard was.

This was the 80s.

Sometimes it is the prof. I have no idea if this is the case.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:54 AM

899 posts, read 671,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
The professor Maitland Jones, Jr., 84, is a well published leading scholar in the field of organic chemistry.

NYU organic chemistry professor is fired after 82 students sign petition to get rid of him for making the subject 'too hard' - as the leading academic defends his teaching methods and blames quality of intake

Maybe the students will all get A now from a replacement?

NYU’s firing of Professor Maitland Jones Jr. should frighten every American

So some day in future we or our relatives will be seeing doctors that were among the petitioners.....

For all I know, similar things happen in many schools and universities.
My ex was teaching assistant for a well-known economist---err, well-known to his peers in the field at least. He published a LOT. My understanding was that universities often hire big time expert guys like him to bring the school prestige. What people don't realize is that quite often, big time expert guys don't teach the classes. They're too busy doing research, writing papers, all that. No, that duty gets handed off to the TA, who already has a bachelor's or possibly a master's. What was interesting about him: he did both. He taught AND he published. He could have dumped it in her lap but he didn't.

That sounds like professor Maitland Jones. At age 84, seeing what he's seen and his long career filled with experiences...he's a treasure they threw away with both hands.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:56 AM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 9 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,154 times
I liked it; took I and II for fun as a math major. Hopefully this story ends with a reversal or some other redemption.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:30 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Truth, as always, somewhere in the less sensational middle.

84 years old and on a single year contract that NYU didn't feel like renewing. Pretty common outcome for adjunct contract professors.

Bunch of students complained about how hard the class was. Yet another thing that happens all the time, every day, at every campus in America. My favorite professor got bad reviews, because Calculus based Physics is hard and she didn't give away free 'A's. I got an 'A' both semesters of her class, as did about a half dozen other students who did the ALL the work she assigned, showed up for ALL the pretest study sessions she would volunteer to hold on Saturday mornings before tests, and went to EVERY SINGLE class except the one I missed in 2nd semester because of strep throat. She gave enough extra credit that if you actually did it all, you could have enough points to not take the final. In both semesters, both I and the other folks who got 'A's never took a final. And all you had to do was the work she assigned.

Every "hard" professor I ever had that students all loved to whine about were the EXACT same way. If you did the work they assigned, showed up to every class, and paid even the faintest bit of attention, you'd fall backwards into at least a B+.

So students whining is same old same old, and universities not renewing contracts for 84 year olds is as well.

Not much to see here.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:56 AM

629 posts, read 963,283 times
I took organic chemistry at NYU about 25 years ago. Got a 22 on the first test - realized that pre-med wasn't for me, so I did what college kids did back in that day - drank a ton of Jim Beam and passed out and then changed majors soon after.

If only I knew that this was an option...

Old 10-11-2022, 06:57 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Pchem is the real killer course. I thought that organic chemistry was very interesting.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:06 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
I like organic chemistry. Our orgo teacher was also the most notorious for being "hard." A lot of people struggled. I actually thought it was much easier than physical chemistry. I guess it just depends on how you think.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies