Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2022, 06:46 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I can help you out with that. He opend with a lie.

https://www.adl.org/disinformation-s...iles-of-bricks

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2YE2C6

https://apnews.com/article/Fact-Chec...s-319976751777

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pa...protest-sites/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ce/6149443002/

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/06/br...te-protesters/

Now I full expect your knee-jerk reaction will be to refute those sites, and the almost endless number of other references that any child who can operate a browser can reveal. But it's up to you to prove them wrong. Good luck to ya.
"Now I full expect your knee-jerk reaction will be to refute those sites,""
Being they all lean left, it is not hard.

Old 10-15-2022, 06:52 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You didn’t watch the hearing, did you…?
Yes I did...all of it.
It's a partisan joke that discredits our Government.
No other Administration has done anything like this.
They certainly all could have. Obama's Administration could have done it to Bush/Cheney & Crew, for a variety of reasons...Trump's could have done it to the Obama people, etc...but they didn't.
Trump was the first complete outsider (never worked in the Government, not even the military) to become President...and he was talking right from the beginning about messing up their way of getting over and keeping themselves in power and money.
So...they set out to "get him" immediately. And we have seen nothing but since. This "Jan 6th Committe" is the culmination of all that.
Trump was a very poor Chief Executive in many ways (though not much better or worse than most)...but the best thing that him being POTUS has done is expose how unbelievably corrupt our Government officials have been for a long, long time.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:18 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why do people think this is only about the capitol riot? These hearings are about the facts showing that Trump and cronies knew they would lose and had plans in place to not concede... even before the election. They had the levers in place to overturn the election if he lost. This is what the hearings are showing. Inciting a crowd to terrorize lawmakers on the day the election was being certified was just one part of the plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
If we could determine the answer to that question perhaps we Americans would have a better chance at protecting our republic and preserving democracy for ourselves and our children.

These hearings have provided us the stunning truth, with compelling & credible testimony and physical evidence, that exposes the monthslong campaign by Trump and his allies to subvert American democracy and cling to power by reversing an election. Much has come to light about how they went about it, employing one tactic after another in a way that led more than one federal judge to conclude that it likely amounted to a criminal conspiracy. You are so correct. This coup attempt was more than the violent insurrection Trump incited on Jan 6.

The incredible work by this bipartisan committee showed us that a psychopathic grievance-filled childish president, unable to face the fact of his defeat, schemed with a gang of loyalists, in and out of government, to concoct and enact a plot that had several parts with each endangering and/or assaulting a pillar of our democracy.

I find it chilling that any American continues to turn a blind eye to the proof of this level of seditious betrayal by a president. Allegiance to Trump over allegiance to America remains a clear and present danger to the nation.
Agreed. Although the committee’s work is likely coming to a close, it is worth considering that it will ‘bear fruit’ in the future, so to speak.

It is also worth noting the prescient & comforting words of Dr. Martin Luther King, “the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice”.

Mr. Trump & his allies will be asked to ‘put up or shut up’ in the following cases:
  • Reps. Karen Bass et al. Incitement Suit for Jan. 6 Capitol Attack
  • Eric Swalwell Incitement Suit for Jan. 6 Riots
  • Capitol Police Suit for Jan. 6 Riots
  • Second Capitol Police Suit for Jan. 6 Riots
  • Third Capitol Police Suit over the Jan. 6 Riots
  • Metropolitan Police Suit over the Jan. 6 Riots

The above are all ‘in progress’ & there seems to be a trend for the district court to deny Mr. Trump’s motion to dismiss the claims under § 1985, negligence per se, DC anti-bias law, and aiding and abetting assault. The courts have granted Mr. Trump’s request to dismiss the § 1986, emotional distress, & negligence claims in some.

More here on each case & others:

Litigation Tracker: Pending Criminal and Civil Cases Against Donald Trump

https://www.justsecurity.org/75032/l...ump/#TTAssault
These cases bear on two pressing questions. First, will Trump maintain his long streak of eluding legal liability in the face of so many lawsuits? Second, if Trump is held to account for illegal conduct, what impact will such a development have on his—and his family’s—political and business fortunes?

Old 10-15-2022, 08:18 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You'd never heard of it...and neither had I.
I was just doing a search.
Let's see you factually dispute the article.
Bottom Line...the Jan 6th protest/riot that the Committee has made a focal point of the Government (and has treated the protesters in a unethical and unconstitutional manner) was just about nothing compared to many other previous attacks on Government buildings and officials scores of times...that they not only didn't do much of anything about, but high level Officials lauded & were actually drumming up crowdfunding to provide bail money for the few that did get arrested.
I notice that you focus only on the brick thing.
How about answering what you would have thought of the Jan 6th protesters/rioters if they'd torched the government buildings (after barricading the officials inside)...and then threw everyone out of the area, occupied it, and declared it a "Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone", like protesters/rioters had done over the summer?
I believe in the rule of law without political favor. I've always maintained that the summer of 2020 rioters, indeed any rioters, should have been prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Feel free to check my posting history on it. In fact, I've been called "blood thirsty" by one particular pro-Trump poster on this site for advocating for business owners to shoot looters.

I do however call out the gross false comparison of the summer of 2020 rioters to the Jan 6 rioters. I know how you righties want so desperately to equate them but it's not even close.

The president did not send the summer rioters. No politicians did. Sure, some Democrat politicians were pro-BLM when BLM actually stood for something and held peaceful protests. Almost every major city in the nation had BLM protests that were peaceful. It was only a few cities that had riots that had nothing to do with BLM but were simply there as opportunists. Those people that rioted, Antifa or whomever they were should have been treated harshly and in many cases were. Many of them were locked up. No Democrat leaders were locked up, because they had nothing to do with it.

Jan 6 rioters went to the Capitol to block the peaceful transfer of power, a cornerstone of our Republic. And they succeeded at that for hours. That is sedition, pure and simple. And it was at the behest of the president and his enablers. Burning a federal building is arson, vandalism, or whatever. Throw the book at them. But it's not an attempt to overthrow the will of the people by overturning an election. I don't believe for an instant that you truly believe the J6 rioters are being treated unethically. It's faux outrage. No one is truly that duplicitous, I hope.

Old 10-15-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I believe in the rule of law without political favor. I've always maintained that the summer of 2020 rioters, indeed any rioters, should have been prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Feel free to check my posting history on it. In fact, I've been called "blood thirsty" by one particular pro-Trump poster on this site for advocating for business owners to shoot looters.

I do however call out the gross false comparison of the summer of 2020 rioters to the Jan 6 rioters. I know how you righties want so desperately to equate them but it's not even close.

The president did not send the summer rioters. No politicians did. Sure, some Democrat politicians were pro-BLM when BLM actually stood for something and held peaceful protests. Almost every major city in the nation had BLM protests that were peaceful. It was only a few cities that had riots that had nothing to do with BLM but were simply there as opportunists. Those people that rioted, Antifa or whomever they were should have been treated harshly and in many cases were. Many of them were locked up. No Democrat leaders were locked up, because they had nothing to do with it.

Jan 6 rioters went to the Capitol to block the peaceful transfer of power, a cornerstone of our Republic. And they succeeded at that for hours. That is sedition, pure and simple. And it was at the behest of the president and his enablers. Burning a federal building is arson, vandalism, or whatever. Throw the book at them. But it's not an attempt to overthrow the will of the people by overturning an election. I don't believe for an instant that you truly believe the J6 rioters are being treated unethically. It's faux outrage. No one is truly that duplicitous, I hope.
If the Jan 6th protesters/rioters were actually there with the premeditated intention to "block the peaceful transfer of power"...the makeup of the group would have been very different, they would have most all shown up armed, and they would have done exactly that.
If Trump wanted & endeavored to do that...he could have had a fully armed force over a million strong show up and accomplished that, for sure.
That group was not about that...and that was obvious by watching them mostly wander around, or do dumbstuff like bellowing and chanting, some in crazy get-ups, and taking selfies in some of the offices.
That Trump authorized National Guard troops to be there to support the Capitol Police is the proof he did not have the intention to stage a riot or "Insurrection".
Holding people charged with "Trespassing" and/or "Parading" with no bail, in terrible conditions is not right, ethical, or Constitutional.

Old 10-15-2022, 09:46 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Let's talk about the end to Trump's week....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISw-Tn8vyvI

Old 10-15-2022, 10:07 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
A lot of those guys were just there, they followed the crowd and were just standing around. Now they're hunted down like rabid dogs, thrown in jail under the most minor charges, with no bail, Forced to plead guilty or be charged with long preson sentences.
Do you want to live in a country like this?

Old 10-15-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Of course...if one just listens to the Jan 6th Committe they will get a biased & skewed view of it.
You must look at the real evidence...and form reasonable & logical conclusions.

https://youtu.be/4f7nSk7DG58 (Warning: language)

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...ction-n1471321

Old 10-15-2022, 11:07 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:

Judge Amit Mehta of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia agreed with you. Earlier this year he ruled three lawsuits by Democratic members of Congress & two police officers could proceed toward trial.

U.S. judge denies Trump's request to toss Jan 6 incitement lawsuits

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-...ts-2022-02-18/

42 U.S. Code § 1985 - Conspiracy to interfere with civil rights
(1) Preventing officer from performing duties
If two or more persons in any State or Territory conspire to prevent, by force, intimidation, or threat, any person from accepting or holding any office, trust, or place of confidence under the United States, or from discharging any duties thereof; or to induce by like means any officer of the United States to leave any State, district, or place, where his duties as an officer are required to be performed, or to injure him in his person or property on account of his lawful discharge of the duties of his office, or while engaged in the lawful discharge thereof, or to injure his property so as to molest, interrupt, hinder, or impede him in the discharge of his official duties;
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/1985

Old 10-15-2022, 11:19 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Of course...if one just listens to the Jan 6th Committe they will get a biased & skewed view of it.
You must look at the real evidence...and form reasonable & logical conclusions.

https://youtu.be/4f7nSk7DG58 (Warning: language)

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...ction-n1471321
Bingo…a few thousand protesters turned rioters weren’t overturning anything…and with 500 armed Capitol police, they could’ve easily mowed every one of them down…and amazing how easily they were let onto the grounds…and because Trump told them to go home and they did peacefully by curfew at 6pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies