Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 12:26 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
If teachers aren't responsible for whether kids are educated, what's their real job function?
Go grind your axe with someone else I'm off this treadmill, enjoy your trip to the bottom...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 03:02 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Who determines you are doing your job your supervisors or the peanut gallery?

Explain why the district you speak of doesn't hold them back? Oh wait that will be another law suit for holding their child back... , One of the biggest problems with the 3 r's is parents don't work with their kids, why is the parent not making the child read at home, why aren't they ensuring that the homework is done or that the child knows how to add 1+1. Teachers have the child on an average 6 hours a day who's the influence the other 18?

If you've been a public school teacher then say so and it does make a difference. Based on how you post about PS Teachers you are either a proponent of homeschooling/religious schools or you want to foist your own view of public ed on your local school district.
Neither the supervisor nor the peanut gallery should determine if the job is being done. The STUDENTS, and their learning level, should be the determination of how well the job is done.

You are incorrect on what the biggest problem is. It's not parents, it's the unions. The unions who put the union before students. That became glaringly apparent during covid, when parents and kids wanted to return to the class room. You know, to LEARN. But the teachers unions blocked them. Those unions are powerful enough that they could fight the parents who file lawsuits when their kids are held back. But they don't.

You've taken the high horse, and demanding that only those that have taught in public schools have an opinion. I'm going to assume that you have?

Old 10-15-2022, 03:05 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
No, but I can identify an arm chair quarterback who has never been in the game and that's on you. If a child can't read just saying "its the teachers fault" is "cowardly behavior" why aren't they reading? Solutions take more than the teacher in most cases reinforcement and accountability from the parent is even more critical.

You just saying its the teachers fault then your just passing the buck because you don't want to do your part, "pretty simple concept".
Please, please, please tell me that you've never been a teacher. Your grasp of language makes me cringe.

I'm very confused on your stance, quite frankly. On one hand you advocate parents taking control of their child's education, yet on the other hand, you support taking that control away from parents and putting it on to the teacher's plate.

Old 10-15-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Neither the supervisor nor the peanut gallery should determine if the job is being done. The STUDENTS, and their learning level, should be the determination of how well the job is done.

You are incorrect on what the biggest problem is. It's not parents, it's the unions. The unions who put the union before students. That became glaringly apparent during covid, when parents and kids wanted to return to the class room. You know, to LEARN. But the teachers unions blocked them. Those unions are powerful enough that they could fight the parents who file lawsuits when their kids are held back. But they don't.

You've taken the high horse, and demanding that only those that have taught in public schools have an opinion. I'm going to assume that you have?
Unions are not everywhere including where I live so I can't answer how they affected any districts. Not a high horse but the poster I responded to regularly lambastes teacher and believes homeschool/religious schools are the better choice.

I've made no statement that only those who taught can comment but the straight "its there fault" argument for everything would only come from someone that hasn't spend a day in a classroom or realized what a teacher deals with. I am not a teacher but I do work for a school division and see what the schools are dealing with. When your day start with kids that aren't bathed, fed, homework isn't done then the class time gets affected.

Old 10-15-2022, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Please, please, please tell me that you've never been a teacher. Your grasp of language makes me cringe.

I'm very confused on your stance, quite frankly. On one hand you advocate parents taking control of their child's education, yet on the other hand, you support taking that control away from parents and putting it on to the teacher's plate.
The argument presented over several posts is that the parent needs to ensure that the child practices reading along with ensuring their homework is done, they are with the child 18 hours a day not the teacher. But the poster lays it squarely on the teacher everything is their fault and I disagree with that.

Old 10-15-2022, 07:58 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why is anyone blaming teachers thinking they are indoctrinating kids. Parents are the first teachers who instill their values in them. Parents should be interested in what they learn each day, ask questions and help with homework. But many don't. If parents think public schools are indoctrinating their kids then it's their own fault for not being involved. And many here just spew what they've heard.
This is the new platform for the right wing, attack the marginalized and use it as a campaign issue. The good news is that school boards are ignoring Youngkins guidelines.

Old 10-15-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Our students were underperforming before and after Covid but it’s the teachers? Parents that don’t supervise their children, don’t monitor homework and it’s the unions fault?

Old 10-16-2022, 06:30 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Our students were underperforming before and after Covid but it’s the teachers? Parents that don’t supervise their children, don’t monitor homework and it’s the unions fault?
Yes. Why do you think they are against vouchers?

Every parent needs a debit card similar to an HSA card. They can spend the money however they want toward their own children's education. Public, private, charter, religious, hybrid, homeschooling, 1-on-1 tutoring, online, etc.

See how fast reading rates improve.

Because if teachers are NOT responsible for educating children, as multiple posters here are claiming, what is the point of public schools?

Old 10-16-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Yes. Why do you think they are against vouchers?

Every parent needs a debit card similar to an HSA card. They can spend the money however they want toward their own children's education. Public, private, charter, religious, hybrid, homeschooling, 1-on-1 tutoring, online, etc.

See how fast reading rates improve.

Because if teachers are NOT responsible for educating children, as multiple posters here are claiming, what is the point of public schools?
Just sending children to private schools isn’t a solution, if the parents don’t reinforce school work nothing changes. The best performers are those with two college educated parents, worst performers are those with single parents who don’t supervise their children. Just claiming our failing education system is the teachers fault avoids good parenting. Private schools can be selective with students, public schools need to address all the students with behavior problems.

Old 10-16-2022, 07:53 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Just sending children to private schools isn’t a solution, if the parents don’t reinforce school work nothing changes. The best performers are those with two college educated parents, worst performers are those with single parents who don’t supervise their children. Just claiming our failing education system is the teachers fault avoids good parenting. Private schools can be selective with students, public schools need to address all the students with behavior problems.
If teachers are not responsible for educating children, what is the point of public schools?

What you are stating is that schools only work for children of college educated parents.

So what's the point? Get to the POINT of the matter:

What are teachers doing to fix this?
Addressing the union?
Demanding less fluff [gender idiocy] so they can spend more time on the fundamentals?
Striking so they get the tools they need for ACADEMICS in the classroom?

Teachers aren't doing their jobs. There is NO WAY around that fact.

If a 12th grader graduates and cannot read? That falls on the school system which had THIRTEEN YEARS to teach the child to read.

13 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies