Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 01:28 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Oh you mean that cities tend to have more crime than the suburbs/rural areas and there tend to be more minorities in cities as well?? This is news? You do realize the same holds true for the so called "blue states" right? So regardless of your attempt to prove the info is skewed, it's really not.
It just shows that state level comparisons based on "red/blue" are just gross anti-science because it assumes the whole state is homogeneous.

This goes both ways.

I don't even need to go into the flaws in the crime comparison because the foundation of red\blue is garbage.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
People that work don't get government benefits.

Those are reserved for people that don't work or work cash jobs.

If you work for a living, you pay for the benefits others receive.
Exactly. And when you work and pay 900 dollars a month for medical insurance coverage, then have a 2500 dollar deductible and still have to pay co pays and 20% then see those who don't work get absolutely free medical care you're not too keen on wanting extending coverage for those who get it free while you cant afford to see a doctor.

When I took in my grand he was getting TennCare. I took him to the doctor and was amazed that everything was 100% free. On the way out I stood at the little window and took out my check book and they all looked at me like, what? I got quite a bit of mail from the doctor/dentist and TennCare encouraging me to take him in for check ups and this and that and even offering 25$ gift cards for making an appointment, all on the taxpayers dime. I'm all for people getting medical attention they need but I cant say I have any faith in government run health care.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:33 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I'm trying to figure out why people who live in poor red states like Mississippi, Kentucky, Louisiana etc., tend to keep voting for Conservatives? It seems like their quality of living doesn't improve while going down this same path.
They're told that someone else is to blame for their problems: liberal politicians in Washington, liberal politicians in their own statehouses, liberals in general. They want an easy solution to their problems, and they're told that voting the liberals out (and in some states, "liberal" means anyone to the left of Mike Pence) so that conservatives can squash the liberals, which will solve all their problems.

No one - candidates nor the voters - use any kind of logic or reasoning.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:34 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,123,161 times
Because they don't want handouts at the taxpayer's expense, which that's what democrat lib leadership promises in exchange for votes.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-18-2022 at 06:34 PM..

Old 10-18-2022, 01:57 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Because they don't want handouts at the taxpayer's expense
Then why are Republican-majority states more often than not those who receive the most federally dependent?

https://balancingeverything.com/most...%20are%20blue.

R and B here mean red and blue.

Quote:
Wyoming (R), North Dakota (R), and Vermont (B) get the most in total federal funding.
Alabama (R), Alaska (R), and Arizona (B) get the most in federal funding per resident.
New Mexico (B), West Virginia (R), and Louisiana (R) have the highest share of benefits recipients.

In this category, the reds dominate as the most federally dependent states. Out of the nine states leading in the most funding, most funding per resident, and most benefits users, only two are blue. Democrat states like New York, California, and Illinois are among those that pay the most in federal taxes. So, it would seem that blue states subsidize red states.

Old 10-18-2022, 02:04 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Our cottage is in rural Northern Michigan. The area is solid red. There are many people in poverty in the area. From my experience from my interactions with them, since the 80's is even though they know they are on the lower end of the income scale, they don't expect hand outs, or hate those that are successful, or blame those that are successful for their poverty. They work hard, hustle, and do whatever it takes to keep a roof over their heads, and their families fed. I'm sure many are on assistance , but why wouldn't they be ? The difference is their thinking, they except that they are low income, and try to work through it vs blaming others and expecting to other to lift them out of poverty.

I know, it's anecdotal but that is how I see it. I guess I should have asked this at the beginning, why would voting GOP be voting against their best interests ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Then why are Republican-majority states more often than not those who receive the most federally dependent?

https://balancingeverything.com/most...%20are%20blue.

R and B here mean red and blue.
I tried to answer this, at least in my opinion, earlier in the thread.

Also, why would voting GOP not be in these individuals best interests ?

Old 10-18-2022, 04:21 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Then it seems many of them try to make their new Red State home just like the high taxed restrictive Blue State they left!

Greg, but they can't seem to get out of poverty. Alot of the liberal-run blue states seem to be more prosperous than the red-conservative states. What are the leaders of the red states doing to help the people drag themselves out of the mud? People can live where ever and however they want, I'm just trying to figure this out!

Old 10-18-2022, 04:23 PM

37,175 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I'm trying to figure out why people who live in poor red states like Mississippi, Kentucky, Louisiana etc., tend to keep voting for Conservatives? It seems like their quality of living doesn't improve while going down this same path.
They vote for whoever professes to hate the same people they do.

Old 10-18-2022, 04:25 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Makes perfect sense for legislation the dems passed without reading or understanding the details of their own legislation that was anything but affordable to the larger population.

Classic case of needing a new car because of a tiny scratch in your fender.

Laws supported solely on their titles and not their content.

Blue states and cities promote crime and ignore public safety. Enjoy!
Kacer, I have to disagree with you. I know law enforcement workers who are liberals and do not ignore safety. Maine for instance is a blue state and they have low crime. Also, my brother-in-law is liberal and he makes his family drive their cars until they can no longer breathe, it doesn't matter if there is a dent in the fender!

Old 10-18-2022, 04:29 PM

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've thoroughly debunked that anti-science pile of BS many times over the years. It ignores numerous economic and statistical concepts to make a y=x argument for political consumption.

Stop pushing anti-science.
Good for you but the fact still remains that many of those red states receive a large amount of federal support, the poster was making the claim that they wanted avoid the Medicaid expansion to remain self sufficient and didn't want the government to control health care. That is laughable. I guess it's better to have no healthcare than have the government involved because that has always worked well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies