Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2022, 04:55 PM

3,113 posts, read 938,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C28067302 View Post
So yeah. How are your humours? Do you take laxatives when you're sick? Purging was all the rage in Voltaire's time.
That study's inclusion criteria was everyone who got an appendectomy and were not electively admitted - i.e the most severe cases. It helps to read the study's methods FYI.

As for me, I don't do anything when sick, my body heals itself. But what we do in the 21st century is far more grotesque than purging.

Old 10-19-2022, 04:58 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
All vaccines have associated harms. Everytime you embark on a mass vaccination program, you will injure X amount of people.

We should only give vaccines if they help Y amount of people, and Y >>> X. Not just marginally larger than X, but orders of magnitude larger than X.

TBH, no vaccine has been scientifically proven to do that. But, I'm willing to turn a blind eye to the MMR, DTaP.

When we get to HPV vaccines, they do a lot of harm, and the good that they do is unknown since the association between HPV and cervical cancer is not widely understood.

When it comes to Hep B, ahem, but a baby is not at risk of getting Hep B.

Varicella vaccine cannot do any good for all-cause mortality, as chickenpox is such a mild disease.
Since males don't get tested for high risk (cancer causing) HPV and the association between HPV and cancer is unclear, do you suggest people abstain from sex or have sex and play Russian roulette with their health? The only other alternative is getting the HPV vaccine which might work.

The Oral Cancer Foundation even claims HPV can be transmitted by deep kissing only! I don't think the HPV vaccine prevents oral cancer from kissing unless the vaccine efficacy has changed to prevent it.

The way I see it, there is no good solution for HPV prevention, agree?

Old 10-19-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
There are so many variables so the word "rarely" is not really applicable in the clinical setting. Abdominal pain nausea and vomiting lead people to come to the ER. A CT is performed and if it revels a rupture, free air, or thickening the pt will go immediately to the OR. If not, they may wait for later or the next day depending upon presentation of symptoms. A ruptured appendix can be life threatening. Risks of bacteremia and/or sepsis is frequently treated early and aggressively. In addition, the demographics of appendicitis correlate to access to care and to dangerous events after surgery.

It's like a meteor. Fairly low incidence but very high impact.
Yeah, I acknowledged that. But we remove perfectly good appendixes for no reason other than prevent the 2% chance yours will rupture. A rupture is bad, of course.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Since males don't get tested for high risk (cancer causing) HPV and the association between HPV and cancer is unclear, do you suggest people abstain from sex or have sex and play Russian roulette with their health? The only other alternative is getting the HPV vaccine which might work.

The Oral Cancer Foundation even claims HPV can be transmitted by deep kissing only! I don't think the HPV vaccine prevents oral cancer from kissing unless the vaccine efficacy has changed to prevent it.

The way I see it, there is no good solution for HPV prevention, agree?
I don't think there is a good reason to prevent any virus. Viruses and human beings evolved together. Preventing viruses may have profound unintended consequences, besides leading to a reduced quality life. I rather experience intimacy than worrying about HPV causing cancer lol.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:02 PM

Identifying a virus as a culprit for any disease is a multi-billion $ industry. Don't trust any scientists on this, unless there is iron clad proof (like rabies).

Old 10-19-2022, 05:23 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
I don't think there is a good reason to prevent any virus. Viruses and human beings evolved together. Preventing viruses may have profound unintended consequences, besides leading to a reduced quality life. I rather experience intimacy than worrying about HPV causing cancer lol.
HPV is not only a cancer worry, in some states if you pass it to someone you can be subject to a lawsuit if you knew you had it or if you knew you might have been exposed (for example, if an ex-girlfriend had cervical cancer), but you didn't inform your new partner. Several years back a woman sued a dentist she was dating for passing herpes to her, she won a 3 million dollar judgement against him.

I usually agree with your posts, but when it comes to HPV, I think some people might be better off vaccinated.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
HPV is not only a cancer worry, in some states if you pass it to someone you can be subject to a lawsuit if you knew you had it or if you knew you might have been exposed (for example, if an ex-girlfriend had cervical cancer), but you didn't inform your new partner. Several years back a woman sued a dentist she was dating for passing herpes to her, she won a 3 million dollar judgement against him.

I usually agree with your posts, but when it comes to HPV, I think some people might be better off vaccinated.
I never heard of that, and it's basically ridiculous since over 99+% of the sexually active population has been infected with at least one strain of HPV.

That's also why the argument that HPV DNA is found in over 90% of cervical cancerous cells is so laughably weak. Of course, they do divide this by strain (they claim HPV16/HPV18 are the highest risk, and then there are about a dozen others they implicate), but there is no good data on how prevalent these are in the population, and even then correlation is not causation.

It of course benefits the Pharmaceutical companies to boil down cervical cancer to one virus, for which they can make a vaccine. No RCTs have been done to show they do what they claim to do (reduce cervical cancer) as these studies would take a ridiculously long time to do and therefore would be too expensive. Instead, they settled on do these vaccines reduce HPV and just beg the question.

Then you look at the harms the HPV vaccines cause. Until the COVID vaccines, they caused the most side effects of any vaccine.

It was a no brainer for me to forbid my daughter from getting the HPV vaccine when it was suggested to her in her school.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:56 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times
So ACIP did unanimously vote to add the Covid vaccine to the childhood vaccine schedule, which will now go to the CDC director and HHS for final approval. HOWEVER, this is only a recommendation not a mandate. It's still up to each state to determine whether or not the Covid vaccine will be added to its list of required vaccines and whether or not exemptions will be permitted for medical or philosophical reasons. Florida has already said it will not make the Covid vaccine a requirement, Venice, if you're still reading my posts.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:03 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
The CDC is about to add Covid vaccine to childhood immunization schedule, making it mandatory for kids to attend school.
The CDC has no authority to mandate shots for anyone. What they are talking about doing would have effects like requiring health insurance to pay for COVID shots.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
So ACIP did unanimously vote to add the Covid vaccine to the childhood vaccine schedule, which will now go to the CDC director and HHS for final approval. HOWEVER, this is only a recommendation not a mandate. It's still up to each state to determine whether or not the Covid vaccine will be added to its list of required vaccines and whether or not exemptions will be permitted for medical or philosophical reasons. Florida has already said it will not make the Covid vaccine a requirement, Venice, if you're still reading my posts.
It's not about Florida, it's about all Americans in all states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies