Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 04:49 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Baloney. Nothing is stopping you from working as a roofer, a plumber, an electrician, or a bus driver. You want to mow grass and plant shrubs? Feel free to set out your placard. The guy who aerates my lawn? He's a twenty-five-year-old white kid from the neighborhood who does it on the weekends while working as an engineer during the week. He started aerating lawns to help pay his tuition to college when he was still a teenager and never stopped. I'm pretty sure he does every lawn on my street.
What was baloney about that poster's remarks? Some of those low paying jobs should exist as entry level jobs for Americans but that's not the argument. The argument is that there are far too many of them and not enough Americans to fill them. They have saturated the market. Why open businesses where you can't find enough Americans to fill them?

It is also true that illegals aliens have stolen once good paying jobs from Americans. Where have you been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 05:00 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What was baloney about that poster's remarks? Some of those low paying jobs should exist as entry level jobs for Americans but that's not the argument. The argument is that there are far too many of them and not enough Americans to fill them. They have saturated the market. Why open businesses where you can't find enough Americans to fill them?

It is also true that illegals aliens have stolen once good paying jobs from Americans. Where have you been?
Stolen them how, exactly? You are still as free to start a landscaping business and set out your placard as the next person. If you did not, it's because you've chosen not to, not because an immigrant has stolen that job from you. If the market was saturated, my neighbors wouldn't be desperate for window cleaning, tree trimming, painting, and sprinkler repair. There is plenty of work available for those who are looking for some extra income. As for me, I just wash my own windows, replace my own sprinkler heads, and do my own painting. Tree trimming I contract out, but when I do, I know it's going to be a long wait.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:17 PM

17,372 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
My kids did that during their high school summers. They've slung their fair share of burgers, stocked shelves, and dealt with difficult customers. They enjoyed it and learned a great deal. By college, though, I encouraged them to leave that behind and focus on internships in their field. My kids attended a large state university (the youngest still does). Tuition, room, & board runs in excess of $30k/yr. I wanted them to figure out if engineering was the right field for them as soon as possible. Deciding to change majors in a STEM field when you're more than halfway through your degree is pretty damned expensive. When I was in college, spending an extra year to earn a degree was maybe a couple thousand dollars. That's recoverable. Now, it's different. Students don't have time to mess around. They need to know where they're going and have a plan to get there as efficiently as possible.
I'm aware of college expenses. One of my kids recently graduated and the other one is still in college.

Like I said, I have nothing against internships as a rule, I just think that students can get valuable work experience working in retail/food service. It doesn't have to be either/or, it can be both.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm aware of college expenses. One of my kids recently graduated and the other one is still in college.

Like I said, I have nothing against internships as a rule, I just think that students can get valuable work experience working in retail/food service. It doesn't have to be either/or, it can be both.
Tell me about your eldest. What did he or she study, and how did college work experience support that choice? Is your eldest now employed in his or her field?

Old 10-19-2022, 05:41 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Stolen them how, exactly? You are still as free to start a landscaping business and set out your placard as the next person. If you did not, it's because you've chosen not to, not because an immigrant has stolen that job from you. If the market was saturated, my neighbors wouldn't be desperate for window cleaning, tree trimming, painting, and sprinkler repair. There is plenty of work available for those who are looking for some extra income. As for me, I just wash my own windows, replace my own sprinkler heads, and do my own painting. Tree trimming I contract out, but when I do, I know it's going to be a long wait.
They stole them by working for less in collusion with their greedy employers. You knew that already though, didn't you? By the way, illegal aliens aren't immigrants!

I'm retired so this has nothing to do with me! An honest landscaping business cannot compete with companies who hire illegal aliens and the same goes for many other businesses.

Whether you want to admit it or not our market is saturated with low paying jobs such as a burger joint on every corner and we don't need them. Are you blind?

Old 10-19-2022, 05:58 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
That is part of the problem. Too many safety nets that create a society of "layabouts" that can't be bothered to do some jobs regardless of the pay. Remove them and people will either work or starve.
Yes, indeed. Couldn't agree more. For the record, I've been saying this for years. Put the money in, and watch what happens. Try to take it out, and watch what happens. It's been going on in this country for the better part of 80 years, and here we are. More takers than contributors. Not good.

Old 10-19-2022, 06:07 PM

17,372 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Tell me about your eldest. What did he or she study, and how did college work experience support that choice? Is your eldest now employed in his or her field?
My eldest was a STEM major and simply decided that he really didn't want to be in that field. He switched to a less STEM heavy major although his STEM background was still applicable to it. He is now working in a loosely related, fairly math heavy field that also involves many of the skills that he learned as an assistant manager in the food industry. He has definitely not followed a strict A>B>C route. But he's got his own place, he's living in an area of his choosing and doing well.

FWIW, one of my community college professors was/is a licensed medical doctor who quit working at the hospital to teach classes at our local CC.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:06 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Maybe they are staying two weeks if it's construction and a high-value manufacturing and going to a company that pays them more because of this inflation.

If they have children, your $65,000 jobs after tax leave maybe $20,000 after childcare expenses.

But they printed a tremendous amount of money with zero-interest rates for alot of high-paying zombie companies where the worker are paying cash for homes and raising the price of apartments.

The rents and home prices have gone through the roof also.

In Denver the average home price year to date is $875,000

After taxes, your $65,000 jobs won't even pay principle and interest on a Denver house.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/22/huge-r...ing-to-an-end/

https://car-co.stats.showingtime.com...County?src=map
If you're 22 years old with no real work experience and a BA degree, you aren't worth $20/hr, let alone $30/hr. You don't have any skills. We were all there at one point, but back when we were coming up there was still respect for authority and seniority, so we learned from our superiors and became skilled ourselves by learning from them.

Of course, one major difference is that when I went to college you had to be able to THINK in order to graduate. That's definitely not the case today. Critical thinking and analytical skills are no longer taught in colleges. Today's grads are mostly just overflowing with a self-righteous sense of entitlement and "woke" thinking.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
If you're 22 years old with no real work experience and a BA degree, you aren't worth $20/hr, let alone $30/hr. You don't have any skills. We were all there at one point, but back when we were coming up there was still respect for authority and seniority, so we learned from our superiors and became skilled ourselves by learning from them.

Of course, one major difference is that when I went to college you had to be able to THINK in order to graduate. That's definitely not the case today. Critical thinking and analytical skills are no longer taught in colleges. Today's grads are mostly just overflowing with a self-righteous sense of entitlement and "woke" thinking.
I disagree. Calculus is still calculus, fluid dynamics is still fluid dynamics, and organic chemistry is still organic chemistry. You either know it or you don't. You're unlikely to fool your way into an engineering job, and even if you somehow manage it, you will be found out.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:28 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
Quote:
I disagree. Calculus is still calculus, fluid dynamics is still fluid dynamics, and organic chemistry is still organic chemistry. You either know it or you don't. You're unlikely to fool your way into an engineering job, and even if you somehow manage it, you will be found out.
Well, I did say BA degree. Most STEM type degrees are BS degrees. There's a difference. But I think you would be surprised to learn that even o-chem has become easier.

I taught at a University for a few years and I can assure you that even in the sciences things are becoming more lax. Standards are dropping. The students are too entitled to be bothered with putting in the work required, so the schools are lowering their standards in order to keep the money coming in. It's terrifying actually.

In fact, here's an article that's exactly on point and don't think for one minute this kind of thing is only happening at NYU:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/03/u...-petition.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies