Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 03:34 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,036 times

Advertisements

I just checked the temps in several English cities, and I didn't see any conditions that would inspire me to turn on the heat. It's been colder here in Colorado, I have no problem paying my bills, and I haven't turned on my heat either. Even if I were sitting in Aberdeen, I'd just put on a warm pair of socks and throw another blanket on the bed

Last edited by kj1065; 10-19-2022 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 03:35 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Maybe, because the British elite doesn't care about the British.

Mrs Thatcher closed British coal mines. Coal could keep the British warm. But coal creates smog, so the elite can't play golf without sneezing.
The EU imported 45% of its gas from Russia, the UK imported 4% of its gas from Russia, Italy (you're Italian aren't you?) 38%

So why are we talking about the UK again?

Old 10-19-2022, 03:38 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,292,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The EU imported 45% of its gas from Russia, the UK imported 4% of its gas from Russia, Italy (you're Italian aren't you?) 38%

So why are we talking about the UK again?
The UK imported natural gas from Norway, etc.
Now, everybody wants to import from Norway.

I believe Russians wanted $200, Americans and Norwegians want $3,000.

Old 10-19-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
The UK imported natural gas from Norway, etc.
Now, everybody wants to import from Norway.

I believe Russians wanted $200, Americans and Norwegians want $3,000.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...h-what-we-know
https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/docume...ropean%20Union.

The world is suffering from high energy costs, which of course creates high inflation, as you can see not just in the UK. If the global cost of fuel rises so will inflation, the cost of making goods goes up, the cost of transporting goods goes up - bloody everything goes up!

Old 10-19-2022, 03:44 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
As bad as things are here, we are better off than many other countries. The US dollar is as strong as ever. I am glad to be an American.

Old 10-19-2022, 03:45 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Hello, the UK AGAIN!? Things are no worse here than they are anywhere else on the planet! Inflation is global, the alarming rise in energy costs is global, In fact things are actually better here than in (for example) the EU which, unlike the UK, relied heavily on Russian gas

Perhaps you can tell me why you, among others obsess over the UK?
Right. And the temps in most of the UK are still very mild.
At 11PM:

It's colder where I live and I didn't turn the heater on, yet.
Houses are well insulated and my indoor temp is 74F.

I guess, the US media/public obsession about how bad are things in Europe is to divert the public attention from how bad are things back home, in the US.

Last edited by elnina; 10-19-2022 at 03:57 PM..

Old 10-19-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Right. And the temps in most of the UK are still very mild.
At 11PM:

It's colder where I live and I didn't turn the heater on, yet.
Houses are well insulated and my indoor temp is 74F.
The UK has mild winters, as a young man I lived in a first floor flat, neighbours below, neighbours above, neighbours either side and I never had to put any heating on!

Old 10-19-2022, 03:51 PM

2,502 posts, read 1,292,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I just checked the temps in several English cities, and I didn't see any conditions that would inspire me to turn on the heat.
It feels cold in a windy coastal place even when temperatures are mild.

I believe it's always foggy and windy in the UK.

Old 10-19-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
It feels cold in a windy coastal place even when temperatures are mild.

I believe it's always foggy and windy in the UK.
Quite a bit of 'stereotyping' going on here! You have obviously never been to the UK!

There are a lot of inaccurate stereotypes when it comes to the UK's weather, for example London is also actually quite a dry city:-

https://stephenliddell.co.uk/2018/01...-a-rainy-city/
https://vividmaps.com/how-wet-is-lon...red-to-europe/

Incidentally I don't think a climate can be 'always foggy and windy' can it? I'm not sure fog forms when its windy!

Old 10-19-2022, 04:00 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Hello, the UK AGAIN!? Things are no worse here than they are anywhere else on the planet! Inflation is global, the alarming rise in energy costs is global, In fact things are actually better here than in (for example) the EU which, unlike the UK, relied heavily on Russian gas

Perhaps you can tell me why you, among others obsess over the UK?
You do seem obsessed with many strictly USA issues I've noticed.

I personally have many friends and former colleagues in the UK, I try to keep myself at least informed about UK issues so I can discuss these issues with them on occasion. I think Liz Truss is just the medicine for UK at this time although paying for most of people's electric bills and other decisions has crashed the pound sterling.

Inflation was caused by Joe Biden, UK and the EU sanctioning Russian oil and gas as well as governments passing out money to people not earning it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies