Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 01:41 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Making it easier is only going to allow people to slip through that really shouldn't be in the military in the first place.
In my basic training class (about 40) we had five who didn't make it, not a single one had anything to do with yelling.

One had physical fitness issues and would just quit on runs, two were caught stealing (well one was, the other lied to help cover it up), one was too stupid to pass the tests, and one left due to deal with family reasons. There were two more who were held back for disciplinary reasons but they didn't really wash out they just had a longer basic training since were moved back to the class that started two weeks after us, I assume they eventually graduated as well.

Unless the washout rate drops dramatically there is zero evidence to support your theory that yelling is a useful tool to qualify whether soldiers, marines, airmen, and seamen are worthy of serving. From my limited anecdotal experience it wasn't a factor in who washed out.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:48 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Who controlled congress in 2020, who was the Sec Def?
You really think congress introduced bills then voted on whether the army yells at new recruits? That is a policy decision of the army, I doubt the president even knew about it which makes it all the sillier the people trying to blame Biden for something that started under the Trump administration.

btw SecDefs in 2020 were Esper and Miller, both Republicans, both appointed by Trump. I'd be surprised if they had anything to do with this either.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:52 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
If you read the article:
Predates Biden
Is more effective
There are now more difficult requirements to meet
exactly - this wasn't done overnight.

and yes the physical requirements will be more stringent.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:55 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
......I heard the same things about spanking, and how the kids would grow up physically violent, and I am not physically violent, nor my husband, nor either son, and the older one is a Colonel in the Army.

This is just more of the liberal crap, as inasmuch as spanking doesn't cause children to grow up being physically abusive, getting corrected in a LOUD voice doesn't cause murder, suicide.......... Life is not for the faint of heart..........
Spanking? You mean like with a saber?

Old Army, isn't it? Got that back at the end of my Fish days.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Who controlled congress in 2020, who was the Sec Def?

BTW, the "no shark attack" happened during the trump admin....but this.."no yelling", "pre-boot camp" is under biden

Stress cards were implemented in the 90's...under Clinton
the military was cut in half under clinton

the military was brought down to pre-ww2 levels under Obozo
there were never any stress cards.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:05 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
My father was a colonel in the Air Force. I’ve had countless military personnel over to the house for dinner in my life. I have many friends who are ex military. I have NEVER heard one of them complain about being yelled at in basic training. Not one!

We need to quit placating these cupcakes. There are certain occupations that require toughness. I know many that fought in Vietnam. Basic training is difficult for a reason. It prepares you for potential battle. Soldiers need discipline, order and respect for commanding officers to survive.

Just stop with the sensitive cupcake talk…just stop. It has its limits.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:05 PM

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/stress-cards/

Old 10-20-2022, 02:08 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
In my basic training class (about 40) we had five who didn't make it, not a single one had anything to do with yelling.

One had physical fitness issues and would just quit on runs, two were caught stealing (well one was, the other lied to help cover it up), one was too stupid to pass the tests, and one left due to deal with family reasons. There were two more who were held back for disciplinary reasons but they didn't really wash out they just had a longer basic training since were moved back to the class that started two weeks after us, I assume they eventually graduated as well.

Unless the washout rate drops dramatically there is zero evidence to support your theory that yelling is a useful tool to qualify whether soldiers, marines, airmen, and seamen are worthy of serving. From my limited anecdotal experience it wasn't a factor in who washed out.

Nobody is suggesting that yelling and screaming in a Recruit’s face is the most effective or only way to turn a Recruit into a tough, loyal, and resilient fighting Marine or Soldier. It is just a part of training, is it not?

I have always been taught (well, at least by my brother, my uncles, my loved ones who actually served) that,

The idea of boot camp is to ‘break you’ because if they don’t the enemy certainly will. It is a form of training to instill in you loyalty, and the will to get the job done regardless of what you hear, or see.

Plus, How does one measure noise? What is yelling? Do they measure yelling with a Noise Level Meter ? I am not asking this question to be mean.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:09 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Honestly I don't even recall any of the yelling in boot camp beyond just instructions and that was late 80s.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:09 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Geez. I went throught Air Force basic in late 1970. The AF is normally considered the "easiest" of all the services, especially in basic. But the TI's did a LOT of yelling then.

So I did my 6 years in the National Guard, then got out as an E-6. 4 years later I got a direct commission in the Naval Reserve in engineering and stayed there until retirement as an O-5. No yelling there. Loved it, and the food in the Navy is much better than other services.

Also, when in college basic ROTC was required the first two years (land grant school), so I wore the Army uniform 1 day a week. Even learned how to break downb and clean an M-1 carbine. I've worn all the uniforms except Marines and Coast Guard, and now the Space Force, but that was impossible at the time.

Biden is trying to make our sevices effeminate. It won't work.

I was a marine. People sometimes ask me what the yelling in recruit training is all about.

Well, if the first time someone yells at you or insults you is in the middle of a firefight and you subsequently lose your focus because someone talked mean to you, that's big ****ing problem.

Having two or three drill instructors scream in your ears while you do simple tasks like COD can uncover problems (weaknesses) that need to be addressed.

Early on, everyone mixes-up left and right or otherwise zigs when they're supposed to zag, but after a while most recruits develop the discipline to focus.

This latest Biden brain fart is such a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies