Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2022, 10:45 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Why wouldn't you continue advertising?
Would you advertise somewhere where your ads could appear next to antisemitic posts that will not be removed?

Where you no longer have support or a contact on the ground? Or if you do, they are taking on double the client load so they're unable to offer you support? Twitter had the *best* advertising reps in the business who were invested in advertisers creating great content, so we will almost certainly no longer get that attention, directly hitting our ROI.

Would you advertise somewhere that is running off its audience base?

Old 11-04-2022, 10:47 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Do conservatives not have money to spend on your product? Then why wouldn't you?
It's thinking that this is a conservative versus liberal thing that was Elon's big mistake.

My very conservative CEO is the one pulling the plug.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:50 AM

25,685 posts, read 12,765,268 times
Anything that financially hurts Liberals, I'm for.

Anything that financially hurts people who censor free speech, I'm all for.

Kick them all the curb Elon..inflict max financial pain

Old 11-04-2022, 10:55 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Would you advertise somewhere where your ads could appear next to antisemitic posts that will not be removed?

Where you no longer have support or a contact on the ground? Or if you do, they are taking on double the client load so they're unable to offer you support? Twitter had the *best* advertising reps in the business who were invested in advertisers creating great content, so we will almost certainly no longer get that attention, directly hitting our ROI.

You've advertised next to posts that include death threats, violence threats, or tell people to find this conservative speaker at [location] and burn his house/car/him down, or posts where a comedienne is holding a bloodied head of a president as though she just decapitated him.

How is that any different?

I look forward to your explanation. Truly I do.

And I don't see that audience base disappearing. Why? Because they have no where else to go.

Old 11-04-2022, 10:59 AM

7,896 posts, read 3,447,226 times
It sounds like there were so many people laid off that they could probably all get together and make their own Twitter, as they used to tell us to do.

Seriously though, I wish the best of luck to all those who got laid off, especially those with families to support. I know how much it sucks and I hope they land on their feet.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:00 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,130 times
Quote:

While I would agree that if your total audience base is leaving from a business standpoint it would be wise to move your advertising dollars. But once again.... is it your total audience? But being RUN off? Nope. They are self-removing themselves because they are throwing a childish fit. There is a big difference.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:02 AM

7,896 posts, read 3,447,226 times
Quote:

Why would your ad appearing next to a distasteful post on an open platform be considered an endorsement of the distasteful comment? I have never associated ads with the content they appear next to. They are advertising on the platform not the individual post or tweets. I've always found that logic to be an excuse to make it seem like injecting political bias in to your advertising strategy is an impartial business decision, when it isn't.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:03 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
It sounds like there were so many people laid off that they could probably all get together and make their own Twitter, as they used to tell us to do.

Seriously though, I wish the best of luck to all those who got laid off, especially those with families to support. I know how much it sucks and I hope they land on their feet.
It's so odd to me that twitter employees are freaking out about this.

Companies are bought every day. There are always layoffs. This is nothing new and was to be expected. They've known for months that they could be bought/laid off. Most people work for multiple companies that have layoffs during their career. It's common in the private sector.

If they weren't preparing for getting laid off it only shows how delusional that they really are. If they were so amazingly talented, they should've sought employment elsewhere prior to this to ensure that they had a job.

Truth.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:10 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,149,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's so odd to me that twitter employees are freaking out about this.

Companies are bought every day. There are always layoffs. This is nothing new and was to be expected. They've known for months that they could be bought/laid off. Most people work for multiple companies that have layoffs during their career. It's common in the private sector.

If they weren't preparing for getting laid off it only shows how delusional that they really are. If they were so amazingly talented, they should've sought employment elsewhere prior to this to ensure that they had a job.

Truth.
Severance is a beautiful thing. My spouse managed to finagle his way into a layoff with a job lined up. Because Musk has violated the WARN Act, he's on the hook for all of the employees he laid off this morning. Now, maybe he knew that all along and decided to risk a lawsuit. Who knows? In any case, the employees will not be hurting once they are paid out, and it will go along way toward soothing their bruised egos.

Old 11-04-2022, 11:12 AM

13,679 posts, read 7,970,440 times
75 percent?

Good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.