Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 07:25 AM

6,364 posts, read 2,698,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
They're not Hondas. Experience is EXTREMELY important, and the kids these days don't even want to drive, much less bother to get good at it.

I'm not huge on federal regulations generally however if they're going to regulate commercial drivers then it should be at least 21, if not 25. The entire point of regulating is to create a safer environment for the People, right? 18 year olds shouldn't be driving big rigs. It's not safe.
Well first of all. In most(if not all States) it is already legal for an 18-year-old to get a CDL and drive a Truck. However, they are restricted to Intra-State travel. The only thing this does is remove the restrictions on Interstate Travel.

Second, teens that don't want to drive are going to be very unlikely to actually go through the training and licensing required to get a Class A. So I think I would consider that as a non-starter for to any concerns.

Third, why 25? Who says someone getting a CDL at a license at 25 has the right experience compared to someone younger? Not everyone gets their learner's permit at 16 or license at 18. But if we are concerned about limitations on younger drivers, what about the age-old question of older drivers? Out of "safety" concerns should we put a maximum age on drivers?

Now, is that not to say that there should be some regulations at to WHAT they may carry...yes. I would have no issues with them being restricted to the length of the trailers or type of cargo(I.E. No Hazardous Material), but I would prefer that to be more based on years of experience than something like age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 07:31 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In an effort to repair a damaged supply chain, the federal government is changing the minimum age for driving a big rig from 21 to 18. It's a test for now, but if the kid truckers don't get into too many wrecks, they'll make it permanent.

How many wrecks aren't too many??
What do you think about teens driving big rigs??

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...gram-rcna12817
Great idea, put possible killers on the roads. What a bunch of dipsticks

Old 10-23-2022, 07:41 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Well, at least, they can't drink and drive.

Old 10-23-2022, 07:41 AM

7,906 posts, read 3,450,203 times
I was in the army when I was 18 and did things much more dangerous than driving a big truck.

Old 10-23-2022, 08:15 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
We put 18 year olds on SEAL Teams and send them to do the most sensitive work of our country. They can handle a flatbed in traffic with proper training. It’s one way or the other.

Old 10-23-2022, 11:26 AM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
I was driving a fire engine (Class B driver's license) when I was 18. I don't ever recall anyone expressing worry about someone of that age arriving on the scene of an emergency with the engine.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:05 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
DH drove a dump truck at 16 years old. Until he backed into the highway inspector's pick up.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:10 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
If the Brandon administration thinks it's a good idea, I am against it.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:25 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Well first of all. In most(if not all States) it is already legal for an 18-year-old to get a CDL and drive a Truck. However, they are restricted to Intra-State travel. The only thing this does is remove the restrictions on Interstate Travel.
We're talking about federal restrictions. I don't care what the states are doing in this context. I also explicitly stated that I don't support the regulations. It was a "if they're going to do it, it should be done like this" comment.

Quote:
Second, teens that don't want to drive are going to be very unlikely to actually go through the training and licensing required to get a Class A. So I think I would consider that as a non-starter for to any concerns.
People do jobs all the time which they hate and which require training. Sorry but this is just wishful thinking.

Quote:
Third, why 25? Who says someone getting a CDL at a license at 25 has the right experience compared to someone younger? Not everyone gets their learner's permit at 16 or license at 18. But if we are concerned about limitations on younger drivers, what about the age-old question of older drivers? Out of "safety" concerns should we put a maximum age on drivers?
The insurance industry identified that age a long time ago as the age at which young people start driving more responsibly. I have pretty much zero doubt that their collective assessment is correct. Take it up with them if you have an issue with it.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:34 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The Feds can authorize a license for anyone they like, I guess.
I'm waiting to see if the insurance companies, who don't want to insure anyone under 25 unless they have to, will buy into the idea.
First not whiny (and valid) counterpoint I read.

As long as they pass the CDL. I might add a 1 year total generic driving experience requirement in addition.

Lots of kids not getting DL until age 17 or 18 now. In NJ age 16 DL is a nightmare. 17 a bit less so. NJ has a requirement for new drivers to drive with a "please give me an easy ticket for your quota" reflector sticker requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies