Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 07:58 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
There is no reason millennials won't enjoy SS benefits when they are due. Because the moneys can always be created.
TRANSLATION: The money you put in the bank now, to spend when the millennials retire, will be worth about 1/4 of what it was worth when you put it in. If you were wondering who pays for SS extended an extra 30 years past when it was supposed to fail, you just found out. Sucker.

Quote:
SS is guaranteed and risk free.
Sure is - guaranteed to be worth less. If you paid in an amount that could have bought a new medium-nice sedan, by the time you get it back, even if you get back the same dollar amount you put in, it can pay for maybe a fancy bicycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 07:59 PM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Why isn't this a larger topic? Millennials are contributing 12.4% of their salaries (with match) for something they will never receive.
Are you looking for reasons to feel anxious? SS failing and the flow of money stopping has been talked about and predicted for decades now.

At some point, we have to take responsibility for the content we choose to allow into our lives and exercise the one omnipotent power we retain -- use the OFF button.

Turn off the TV, or talk radio, don't go to clickbait articles designed to trigger, take a break and connect with some nature, sunshine, fresh air, something/anything that's not about any media or "news."

Old 10-24-2022, 08:13 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I feel you. As an "old" Millennial I watched as 401ks were slaughtered in 2009 and I also can see that much of the gains in the stock market and 401ks after 2008 were due to the money printing machine and stock buybacks.

I do wonder what happens if the Fed Money gets cut off for years and 401k returns flatten. People are still not honest with themselves regarding where the Stock market gains came from over the past 10 years. Everyone was a Stock market Genius for years until the free money ride was closed.

Another recession plus no Fed money could be a regression in 401k's for soon-to-retire Boomers. Also, fewer and fewer employers are offering 401k matches or incentives which is a new issue (along with 1 recession) reflected in the paltry 401k and retirement funds Millennials have in comparison to their older counterparts at the same age.
The question then is why are you being so risky with your 401K ?

Old 10-24-2022, 08:21 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
TRANSLATION: The money you put in the bank now, to spend when the millennials retire, will be worth about 1/4 of what it was worth when you put it in. If you were wondering who pays for SS extended an extra 30 years past when it was supposed to fail, you just found out. Sucker.

Sure is - guaranteed to be worth less. If you paid in an amount that could have bought a new medium-nice sedan, by the time you get it back, even if you get back the same dollar amount you put in, it can pay for maybe a fancy bicycle.
Inflation is always possible. But usually better than having no money.
This is why everyone needs to start early in life with inflation beating investments.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:31 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,097,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Every generation says that.

That's why it's NBD

yep.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:35 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,046,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
SS could be in the toilet. Medicare and cost of medical is off the charts. Possible WWIII. Why be an American citizen anymore?
Not trying to change the subject but the cost of medicare is outrageous and partly due to greedy doctors taking advantage of seniors.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:36 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
another gen-Xer chiming in that heard the same story ever since i started paying attention. i'll be pleasantly surprised if i get money out of SS.
I planned a retirement without SS as a Baby Boomer and now I'm getting it and you probably will too. Still I advise you to prepare as if you won't get SS, if you do get it, you'll have what you saved up to play with as we are doing.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:46 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Not trying to change the subject but the cost of medicare is outrageous and partly due to greedy doctors taking advantage of seniors.
The price for Medicare coverage is comparatively very cheap.

Medicare pays the doctor a very low end reimbursement. A good living, yes. But it would be difficult to get rich off of Medicare's low payments.

Old 10-24-2022, 09:05 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,776,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Heck, I'm near the top of the Gen X pile, and I'd much rather have my money put into a 401k-type plan than the Ponzi scheme known as Social Security. If the Millennials can somehow get it done, I'll applaud them.
They are both Ponzi scheme. SS is a better one actually because the system is backed by new contributors. Also the government can print money and put it into the system, if they wanted to. Why would they do this? Because it's in their best political interests to keep the system going.

With 401K, you are at mercy of the market. Retire at the wrong time when market is crashing and you are screwed.

Old 10-24-2022, 09:21 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You evidently do not work in the medical field. My wife does, and dealing with Medicare is her job. Doctors aren’t getting rich off of Medicare reimbursements. What the doctor charges Medicare and what Medicare actually pays are widely different. Off the top, Medicare kicks about 20% off the bill by contracting an “allowable,” which is the maximum that they will pay. This is the responsibility of the patient, generally, or covered by supplemental. There are then other “discounts” which Medicare applies to the bill before paying what they deem to be a fair amount. That money is simply gone.

Doctors don’t contract with Medicare because of massive cash payouts. They contract with Medicare because of a whole bunch of small payouts. If you’re upset that Medicare and medical care are so expensive, blame the mental midgets who passed a nearly 3,000 page law along with thousands of pages of accompanying legislation in the belief that more regulation would make things cheaper. Half of the staff in your doctor’s office does nothing but deal with regulatory bs and collect money from insurance companies, unless the doctor is paying a large chunk of money to contract that portion of the business out. Either way, it’s overhead, which raises the cost of services without adding anything of value to those services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies