Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 10:19 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

I'm still expecting an election miracle to occur.

If she is still there past the election...she's going to be there for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 10:28 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I do get that you need to read the room but that doesn't change the fact that Griner and the Jan 6 paraders are being persecuted for political reasons....the Biden regime is no better than Putin's regime.
You do realize that you're replying to the person most likely to consider all governments everywhere and always to be 100% dictatorial evil...yes?

NO DOUBT that both examples are indeed political prisoners who are useful to further a political aim from one group of tyrannical antagonists towards another. Absolutely, no question. I am on record with my preferred solution to the tyranny problem - burn it all to the ground and then salt the earth so that nothing like can ever grow there again. But...

that said, the pragmatic individual with a nod towards self-preservation reads the room and avoids being a blip on the tyrant's radar. Both the Jan 6 knuckleheads and Britney Griner forgot that simple rule.

Take an extreme example - Saudi Arabia and being homosexual. Is their entirely hypocritical, hyper-puritan response to open displays/admittance of homosexuality utterly appalling and repugnant? Of course it is. But...they are quite public and honest about those laws, so the wise, pragmatic homosexual stays off their radar, lest they find themselves testing gravity off a tall building.

Two things can be right at the same time.
  1. Yes, I find all governments entirely detestable on their best day. True.
  2. And I think morons who find ways to fall over their own feet into the crosshairs of evil tyrants should have probably reconsidered their dumbassery before angering Leviathan. True as well.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:37 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
This was her 8th trip to Russia. She had to know it was illegal to bring that in. No sympathy from me.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:38 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Hope she likes stroganoff. She’ll be eating a lot of it over the next 9 years.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razort View Post
One is a drug law for a harmless substance.

The other is
One is a drug violation in a place where they take drug laws way more seriously than they do in the US...

The other is a protest gone hooligan in a place where they take hooliganism way more seriously than anywhere else in the US.

BOTH are minor crimes that have been wildly blown out of proportion by the media-political complex, and for purely political reasons.

But...the folks involved in both were equally stupid for going out of their way to pop up on the radar of tyrants during a period where the tyrants want to make examples in an effort to antagonize the tyrants that oppose them.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:43 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
One is a drug law for a harmless substance.

The other is this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vMZ-oAgtwkU
Not in russia, their laws rule, not the United States laws.

Old 10-25-2022, 10:46 AM

6,385 posts, read 2,707,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...sion-rcna53816

Well, that's unfortunate.

It's almost like she got a five year prison sentence for "parading" at the Capitol on January 6th.

Tell me again, what's the difference between the Putin regime and the Biden regime?
She is not some novice traveling Internationally for the first time, she has been to Russia numerous times. She (should have) known it was illegal and as such when she gets caught to have to suffer the consequences. Now, are those consequences a bit harsh, by US "Democratic" terms yes. But she is under Russian rule and will suffer Russian penalties. No Sympathy.

The thing that concerns me is this line from the article.
Quote:
They said Griner’s “biggest fear” is that a prisoner swap will not take place and she could have to serve out the entirety of her sentence in Russia.
Prisoner Swap? First, why is this even an option? Oh, that's right she's a Black Woman in her 30's. Checks all the right boxes for Biden. If this was some white male athlete..they'd be rotting in the Russian Prison for the entire time.

But if they do a swap. Knowing this administration's ability to totally F Things up, who knows who he would swap?

Old 10-25-2022, 10:48 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Tell me again, what's the difference between the Putin regime and the Biden regime?
She had a prescription for the drugs. Did any of the MAGA crowd follow doctor's orders to mount an insurrection?

Old 10-25-2022, 10:51 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
They're keeping Griner?!
First Snowden and now Griner. Those Rooskies are getting all the good ones!

Old 10-25-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I guess, but they also wanted to hang the Vice President, and who knows what they would’ve done if they made it into the chamber.
And in countries where they give the death penalty for drugs, they use the same "well, think about what could have happened" future crime thinking to make the sentencing more harsh.

CHAZ/CHOP declared an autonomous political zone inside land owned/claimed/governed by the state government of Washington and the city government of Seattle. They had borders, armed border security, weapons, their own made up laws and even a designated political leader.

ZOMGROFLBBQ!!!, what could have happened? Well, nobody much cares because that actual bit of insurrection happened where neither the media nor the flake-tastic mayor seemed to care.

But act like hooligans on the sacred temple stairs of DC's secular deities...and hey now...look what mighta/coulda happened, and now toss them into an oubliette for their heresy against their ordained demigod rulers.

The ONLY things different between Jan 6 and a garden variety BLM/AntiFa/OWS/etc protest:
  • Fewer protesters were killed on Jan 6
  • Less property was damaged on Jan 6
  • The Jan 6 protest didn't last as long
  • The location of Jan 6 is considered FAR more sacred than anywhere else in the US, making the Jan 6 hooligans patent morons for acting foolish there.
But I get it...those Jan 6 hooligans were aimed "your people" so that makes them all domestic terrorists and murderers, while the BLM/AntiFa/OWS weirdos were aimed at "the people you hate" so they were engaged in serious, natural right, patriotic dissent.

Blah blah, heard this partisan yap yap before. Nothing new here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies