Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 04:30 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,641,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
I knew I wouldn't get a straight answer.

The fact that you don't look beyond the propaganda of what Pregnancy Crisis Centers do, makes it no wonder you don't support them. .
I don’t consider facts propaganda.

Quote:
I didn't ask if YOU supported PP, that answer is obvious. I asked what you say to people that do not support taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood.
In order to say anything to them I would need to know WHY they don’t support PP.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:30 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Then vote red, your decision.

But just fyi, all countries are struggling with inflation, not just the US. Voting for the right wingers won’t help the US economy one bit.
Republicans have a terrible record managing the economy. Just terrible.

The last Republican President to leave our nation's economy in better shape than he found it was Eisenhower. I'm not kidding.

Clinton, Obama, and Biden have all done a much better job of growing the economy, and reducing the federal deficit than any of the recent Republican Presidents.

If your big issue is the economy, then voting for Republicans is just stupid.

That's aside from whether you support the government telling women what they can and cannot do with their bodies, or whether you are fine with Republicans spending money intended for the poor on sports venues or anti-choice programs.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:38 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
The only say any of us get in how tax money is spent is through voting for our preferred congress critter.

This isn't about funding that has or has not been allocated. This is about using funding for other than the purposes determined by elected officials.

It is a subversion of the will of the people(granted not all the people, but those whose votes prevailed). Thems the rules.
What is it that you are not understanding about the fact that pregnancy crisis centers offer social services to families?

The idea is to give to needy families, correct? That's what they do. If you understood how they operate you would know that. But you don't.

Imagine if PP had also provided actual prenatal and delivery care for women along with social services to help them and their families. But PP wants to kill babies. So ... pregnancy centers pick up the slack and help women and their families out ... and you're mad that poor families are actually getting help.

The cognitive dissonance is just so incredible. People are angry that poor people are getting help for their families because the organization fulfilling that need also helps pregnant women. Okey dokey then.

This will be a fun thread to refer to in the next abortion thread when someone yells about 'forced birthers who don't care about the women/babies after they are born.' But it confirms that pro abortioners really don't want anything but money for abortions. /shrug/

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And yet you trust PP to offer abortions ... when it is a money maker for them.

They profit directly off of every abortion. Directors get bonuses when they go above their quotas -- and yes, they have a sales quota for abortions. Like they are selling washing machines or used cars.

Yet you think that qualifies as "care." Suuuureeeee.

Abortions are 3% of PP’s business. Hardly a moneymaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You, again, literally have no idea what pregnancy crisis centers do.
You, again, are spreading misinformation about the motivation and agenda of crisis pregnancy anti abortion centers.

What Do Crisis Pregnancy Centers Do?

What might not be immediately apparent to someone seeking help at a CPC is that these centers take a distinct anti-abortion approach to pregnancy in that unintended or “crisis” pregnancies have two viable options, adoption or parenting. Multiple “undercover” or “secret shopper” surveys of CPCs and detailed reviews of the centers’ promotional materials and websites reveal that these centers give the impression of being medical clinics or having medical expertise [3, 7-9].

Often using neutral-sounding language, these centers offer to help women with free pregnancy tests, ultrasounds, testing for sexually transmitted infections, and counseling on “all options” for pregnancy. In addition, pregnant women are often offered resources such as maternity clothes, diapers, and parenting classes. These centers often offer to give a “pregnancy verification” form, which women can use to enroll in prenatal care or to apply for government assistance with medical care (e.g., Medicaid or the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children) [3, 8, 9].

CPCs, as a rule, not only discourage abortion but also refuse to provide referrals to abortion clinics, although they often provide “counseling” about “dangers associated with premarital sexual activity” [10]. Women who visit CPCs typically do not realize that they are not in an abortion clinic and are surprised to find that abortion is not considered an option at these centers [3]. As obstetrician-gynecologists, we have had several disgruntled patients come to us who were disappointed and felt deceived by the care that they had received at CPCs.

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Again, my issue is that tax payer money is being funneled to support and push anti abortion efforts, meaning to “centers” which use every trick available to convince women to carry out unwanted pregnancies, all while pretending they just want to support women/families to do what is best for them. Planned Parenthood does not pretend to be something they are not to push their agenda.

If planned parenthood pushed an agenda inconsistent with their stated agenda I would not support them. However, unlike “anti abortion family centers”, PP are transparent.
They call themselves 'Planned Parenthood' yet offer no neonatal classes or check ups. They offer abortions, STD testing, STD medication, but no actual 'planning' for 'parenthood'. So, you're going to have to stop supporting them since they are 'inconsistent with their stated agenda'.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes, I do get that. My point was that no one, obviously, is against helping anyone who’s pregnant and in need. I find it repugnant that there are people who would take advantage of such a dilemma to push desperate women into following their agenda.

However, I think we have to accept that there are two sides to this debate and unfortunately there are not many services available to women that give unbiased, non politicised advice or support of all options available to them.

Anti abortion centres, masquerading as pregnancy support, are going to operate regardless - and it’s important, as you are doing, to highlight the imbalance here and be honest about inequity of funding.

I think planned parenthood had a good go at providing all options, including prevention, and of course they’ve been demonised beyond repair at this point.

Would be great to find a balance, to have places that truly help for the sake of helping, that offers all solutions and support, but the climate is so polarised that I can’t see it happening.
I completely agree, and I also feel that balance is very unlikely at this point. In fact, if people vote red because of a mistaken belief conservatives can somehow fix a world wide economic crisis, we are looking at a complete abortion ban in the US. McConnel and other repubs have already said so, and I believe them.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
They call themselves 'Planned Parenthood' yet offer no neonatal classes or check ups. They offer abortions, STD testing, STD medication, but no actual 'planning' for 'parenthood'. So, you're going to have to stop supporting them since they are 'inconsistent with their stated agenda'.
Planned parenthood as in contraceptives. And I did forget to donate to them this year, thanks fr reminding me.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:57 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Planned parenthood as in contraceptives. And I did forget to donate to them this year, thanks fr reminding me.
nope, you already ruled them out:

'If planned parenthood pushed an agenda inconsistent with their stated agenda I would not support them.'

Old 10-25-2022, 05:02 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Here in Mississippi, the state used taxpayer money intended to help the poor on a volleyball stadium so a rich sports star alum's daughter could play in one and another rich sports has-been could go to luxury rehab. This while the state ranks highest on measures such as infant and maternal mortality.

That doesn't seem to matter much, because there are hospitals closing labor and delivery services in the Delta, where the fortunes of Mississippi were made and lost working the rich soil now farmed by machines. That's going to be especially onerous as the number of children born each year who may not have otherwise now that abortion is no longer available is expected to be around 5,000 additional births.

If the current infant and maternal mortality rates hold steady, that means that 40 more children will be born only to die before their first birthday. And at least one more woman will give birth only to die herself within the year. Extending post-partum Medicaid for women who can't afford their medical care was voted down in the last legislative session. Everyone can draw their own conclusions about why the legislators thought that no abortions plus no Medicaid was the way to vote.

Old 10-25-2022, 05:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Your issue is that the money being "funneled" is meant for poor families. The money you say should be going to Planned Parenthood instead. But their primary purpose is to make sure a woman doesn't have a family:think
See name of the organization. Their mission is to empower women to have children at a point in their lives when they feel well able to provide for the child’s needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Which happen to be the messy parts of reproductive health care that so many other health agencies are more than glad to outsource to PP so they don’t have to deal with the uncomfortable questions of STDs or pregnancy because of a rape. The county health department, churches, hospitals, broader community health outreach programs all cover those other things. PP absorbs the controversial stuff so those other entities don’t have to and can thus get better funding for their missions without drawing the controversy associated with a woman actually wanting to have and enjoying sexual relations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies