Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 03:02 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
They will die sooner rather than later of diabetes or liver failure that way.

This is a great solution.
OK, I didn't link anything as most were treatment programs, but it looks like 40% of the homeless have drug and alcohol addictions, so frankly, it won't take a poor diet for them to die a couple of decades or more earlier than the general population.

I came across endless pages of treatment centers when trying to find information. But, many of these people make a choice to remain addicted or return to it, thus the reason they are homeless. I have seen interviews of some that have no interest in treatment or changing the way they live. Want to be a rebel and not live by society's rules? That will cost you! Just because that wouldn't be one person's choice, it doesn't make it wrong.

Sadly, there is a lot of money being made off of poverty, and this includes the homeless. Lots of money is pumped into it, but it never reaches the people in need, but then again, that is how most government programs work.

As long as the government is pumping money into something, those with the good jobs that support it won't have a solution. Think about the "war on drugs" and the prison industry, as homelessness is the same moneymaker for some. Cities and states get a lot of funding for this, and a "cure" ends the cash.

I was reading about fentanyl, and seriously those are dead people walking! I'm thinking survival of the fittest, as if one is dumb enough to take it..................

Solution? Yeah, I have some ideas, but they would not popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 03:02 PM

17,379 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
It might help San Francisco, that's spending a billion or so on their homeless. (Why don't they ever produce their success rate?).
In San Francisco, they would have to do a stand alone Costco food court far apart from the actual warehouse store or that free hot dog would serve as a pass to loot the store.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
They will die sooner rather than later of diabetes or liver failure that way.

This is a great solution.
Make it a plant base soy hot dog.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:04 PM

6,385 posts, read 2,707,824 times
Quote:
I have a hunger/homeless solution: provide a $60 Costco membership, with a Visa card that only accepts Costco foodcourt purchases.

A Costco membership grants you access to their food courts. If we spend $1702.50 per homeless person, per year we could feed homeless people with 3 meals per day.

Here's the math:
$1.50 for an all beef hot dog, bun, condiments and beverage cup. That's enough calories to survive on, until the "homeless" bum decides to get a job.

$60 membership fee * $1.50 hotdog/drink * 3 times per day * 365 days/year =$1702.50

If you eat enough hotdogs per day, you'll be incentivized to get a job in able to afford better food.
Actually, in some locations, you don't need a Costco membership to purchase at the food court as they are on outside of the building. So that is actually you can save the taxpayers another $60 in some cases.

Overall a good start to a solution. You would just have to figure out what happens on the days Costco is closed for a few Federal Holidays.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:18 PM

5,930 posts, read 2,758,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You think living on the streets in filth isn't enough incentive?
Stopped you right there. Do you live in California? Bums are coddled here. The incentive to work is eliminated due to local funds directed to these drug addicts. Good luck removing one from your property for days/weeks. Good luck removing a squatter for months/years if you own a property.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:23 PM

858 posts, read 681,295 times
Why not soylent green?

Old 10-26-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Stopped you right there. Do you live in California? Bums are coddled here. The incentive to work is eliminated due to local funds directed to these drug addicts. Good luck removing one from your property for days/weeks. Good luck removing a squatter for months/years if you own a property.
I heard of a story where a homeowner in California got so fed up with the homeless camping in parks and on city sidewalks that the homeowner felt they had no choice but to sell their house.

The day the real estate agent put the For Sale sign in their yard, a homeless person dragged a mattress over to their driveway, pitched a tent and would not leave. The homeowner tried to call the city about it and they said that they were busy and it might be a few weeks or so until they could get out there...

Imagine trying to sell your home with a bum literally camped in your driveway?

I would never move to CA.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:49 PM

30,162 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
I have a hunger/homeless solution: provide a $60 Costco membership, with a Visa card that only accepts Costco foodcourt purchases.

A Costco membership grants you access to their food courts. If we spend $1702.50 per homeless person, per year we could feed homeless people with 3 meals per day.

Here's the math:
$1.50 for an all beef hot dog, bun, condiments and beverage cup. That's enough calories to survive on, until the "homeless" bum decides to get a job.

$60 membership fee * $1.50 hotdog/drink * 3 times per day * 365 days/year =$1702.50

If you eat enough hotdogs per day, you'll be incentivized to get a job in able to afford better food.
You think they would have an incentive to not want to sleep on the streets. Now you are feeding them better than they are probably used to.

You can get a package of low quality hot dogs for about $1.50. 8 hot dogs. And package of cheap buns for $1.00. Add some mustard or ketchup and you have 8 hot dogs a day for about $3. Nuke it for 30 seconds. Breakfast lunch and dinner served!

Reality is most of these people have mental health problems that make it probably impossible to hold down a job. Others have addiction issues. They are all over downtown OKC and when you observe them its obvious very few would able to function in normal society. A good portion are talking to themselves and appear to be in their own world.

My feeling is build camps way out in the CA and AZ desert. Comfortable winters. Summertime have giant swamp coolers blowing through the camps. Give them hot dogs or whatever soup. And let them live out their lives at least out of sight of the rest of us. And out of harms way.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:55 PM

3,331 posts, read 1,963,030 times
Thats $1702.50 more than I want to spend.
I am not my brothers keeper.

Old 10-26-2022, 05:59 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Why not soylent green?

Does cooking the people remove the drugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies