Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which issues are of most importance to you in the 2022 midterms?
The Economy, stupid 102 74.45%
Inflation 89 64.96%
Energy 66 48.18%
Crime 79 57.66%
Illegal immigration 84 61.31%
Abortion access 20 14.60%
Foreign policy/Ukraine war 21 15.33%
"Democracy"/Jan 6 24 17.52%
School choice/education 34 24.82%
Climate change 16 11.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 01:06 PM

8,415 posts, read 7,412,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I canceled out your vote.
Or did I cancel out *your* vote?

"Democracy is the worst form of government - except for all others that have been tried." - Winston Churchill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 06:26 PM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You’re wrong, and it’s not even close. Home cooked meals are actually much cheaper than microwave dinners or fast food, if you know how to shop. Instead of buying pork chops for $5 a pound on sale, buy a pork loin for $2 a pound and cut it up yourself. You can do this with beef as well, by the way. The larger cuts are nearly always less expensive, pound for pound, than “ready to cook” meats. My family of four costs about $140 a week at the grocery store, although that’s up from about $80 a year or so ago. It’s a bit time consuming to buy bulk and separate it yourself, but it saves a lot of money. If you think convenience meals are cheaper, someone neglected your education.

Granted, I grew up on a farm and learned how to butcher at an early age, but cutting up meat is something you can learn from a 20 minute YouTube video and a bit of practice.
Some otherwise highly intelligent people do not perceive the difference between food and “food”.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:37 PM

10,088 posts, read 7,763,936 times
Lol at climate change last on the list.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:04 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
The poll results look like I would expect.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:31 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Vote for all Republicans, no voting for any Democrats. It's an easy as that.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:42 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Belling mentioned the other day rumors of democrats unwilling to admit publicly they are voting republican this election cycle, says he's had several approach him over the last week or two.

Remember those silent Trump voters that were unwilling to admit they were voting Trump? Time will tell if this is true or not.

Why would this happen? Their policies are a trainwreck. You can't eliminate cash bail and let violent criminals back onto the streets so easily, push gender dysphoria in the public schools, flood the nation with immigrants without vetting them at all, push massive inflation on the citizenry through printing and restricting fossil fuel usage, without people noticing. Don't get me started on pandemic response, which I will forgive them for because they were trying to save lives, even if they went overboard.

The mainstream media is useless in reporting actual news, so most people go by social media and word of mouth these days. The democrats are trying to clamp down and promote their own narratives but it's not working. The western ruling class want desperately to censor a platform like Twitter. It's up to us to protect these important rights to have quality discourse and disagreement without being cancelled by people who think they know better and are whining like kids and pounding their fists on the table because people dare disagree with them and vote republican... that they can't see the dysfunction within their political party and instead double down on it... and it's not like the republican party is all roses either, but they look like saints from my perspective. It really depends on what perspective you choose to believe. I see the dysfunction on both ends of the horseshoe.

Old 10-29-2022, 07:32 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,434 times
One of my issues is candidates who are handed easy nominations because they are party favorites. I want candidates who do their own campaign work, articulate what they want to do for their constituents, and are something more than windup toys put out by the party machines.

Old 10-30-2022, 06:04 AM

1,261 posts, read 560,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post

Why would this happen? Their policies are a trainwreck. You can't eliminate cash bail and let violent criminals back onto the streets so easily,
I keep seeking this info and nobody seems to be able to produce it, likely because it doesn't make a good sound byte: how many people released on no-cash bail would not have been in a position to be released 2 years ago, either because the alleged offense didn't allow it or because they wouldn't have had the financial means to do so? Those are the only "extra" people out on the streets as compared to the pre-bail reform era, and those are the numbers we need to work with to determine the actusk net effect of the change. There is a misconception that we went from 100% pre-trial incarceration to 0%. The numbers are showing that there hasn't been a significant increase in new offenses committed by those awaiting trial, and a lot of the news articles and politicians keep using those out on probation as part of their arguments, which is a separate issue.

Bail in general needed work. In NY this was shoved into the budget legislation, a time-honored trick for unpopular bills. There should have been a smoother roll-out and more resources and guidance provided to the jurisdictions that would be handling it, and there should have been more emphasis on quick resolution to low-level offenses and actual speedy trials for others. A better first step may have been setting stricter guidelines for bail; personally I think bail and sentencing should be on an objective schedule or a points system which considers the offense and measurable contributing factors, taking all subjectivity out of the process. But we also need to remember that those subject to bail are still not convicted of an offense, and have a presumption of innocence in our justice system. Also, the accused received bail money back upon appearance, so it's not like we just cut off an entire source of funding for the state.

Old 10-30-2022, 06:18 AM

1,261 posts, read 560,966 times
What SHOULD be the focus:

- Economy
- Streamlining bureaucracy
- Clarifying federal vs State responsibility

What will end up being on the agenda
- Abortion
- Social issues that drive away people who agree with the party's economic and practical views
- Killing any sort of college loan/cost initiative because the other team started it

Old 10-30-2022, 07:31 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
My calculations, based on supermarket shelf and online prices, even laid out on Excel spreadsheets, show that healthy whole foods cost noticeably less than junk food. And those calculations do not take into account long-term health costs.

By my calculations, the problem is that too many Americans are too lazy to prepare their food with their own hands, even to boil whole grain rice and legumes, opting instead to gorge on “food”, laden with factory-made chemicals whose names no one can pronounce, directly out of cardboard boxes, jars, cans, and plastic containers.

It is the laziness to prepare that costs way more, not quality food which is abundant and at lower prices than processed junk.
This is correct. I just bought a 3.5 lb boneless pork loin for $2.5/lb. A large head of red leaf lettuce was $1.50. With some salt, pepper and other spices, plus olive oil and red wine vinegar, my family of 5 had a healthy meal with a little meat leftover that I ate for for lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies