Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2022, 09:39 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Yep, 100%.

I have as much sympathy for Paul Pelosi as Democrats have for the everyday Americans who are victimized on a daily basis by the Democrats' insane soft-on-crime and open borders policies: NONE.
South Carolina is a red state and always has been. South Carolina has rising crime rates. So do we blame Republicans and their insane soft-on-crime policies?

Old 10-28-2022, 09:40 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I wonder why a criminal would choose a big, gated, luxurious mansion to break into...hmmmm. It's kind of like looters choosing Louis Vuitton over Dollar Tree - they gotta make a living.

They say the home was targeted but they haven't said the Pelosi's, themselves, were targets.
Likely knew them. Intended to kill. Or was just dumb and inexperienced

Old 10-28-2022, 09:42 AM

17,376 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
I think I'll just wait for a police report on this. My confidence level on early info released third-hand via uniparty media, uniparty FBI, Pelosi operatives is zero point zero.
We would have heard about it by now if the guy could even be loosely connected to right wing groups.

Crickets on that front.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:44 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,151,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
I think I'll just wait for a police report on this. My confidence level on early info released third-hand via uniparty media, uniparty FBI, Pelosi operatives is zero point zero.
Good advice to wait for a police update. Looks like we'll get one in about an hour. I'm watching local media, waiting for a press conference about what happened and Paul Pelosi's current condition.

17,622 posts, read 6,908,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
South Carolina is a red state and always has been. South Carolina has rising crime rates. So do we blame Republicans and their insane soft-on-crime policies?
Most of the rising crime is in blue cities run by Democrats, which is spilling out into the suburbs, which are more purple.

The problem is liberal policy on crime and illegal immigration.

17,376 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
Likely knew them. Intended to kill. Or was just dumb and inexperienced
Probably a drunk and disoriented Paul Pelosi went to get his 10th "night cap" of the night and took a bad tumble down the stairs. Optics. How to spin this....

I'm not trusting anything we're hearing right now.

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Thankfully, the perpetrator is in custody. Pelosi is expected to make a full recovery from his injuries. The Speaker was not at their home at the time of the assault.

Whatever your political affiliation, I hope you'll agree that an attack of an elected official's family is completely unacceptable.

He was beaten with a hammer. Why this happened is still a question.

Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
A good long-term crime reduction program is this: a strong an effective antibullying program at all levels of society.

Think about it, it seems that the core attitude encouraging crime is disrespect for the vulnerable (physically, financially, or psychologically, or people not having their guard up). That's certainly the case with sex crimes, armed robbery, burglary, vandalism, and such).

Where did the presumably adult or near-adult criminal get that disrespect for the vulnerable from? Their social and cultural environment is one of them. Parents, as important as they are, are not the only influence on kids. They learn from their peers, who reflect the overall culture.

So it seems that stigmatizing disrespect for the vulnerable as described will make more kids (who eventually become adults) think twice before attacking those they can easily overpower or outwit for nefarious purposes. The powers-that-be holding them more accountable for so-deemed "trivial" bads may also work (for those agreeing with the "Broken Windows Theory", this should be compelling).

It can also reduce white collar crime as well. Wherever there's strong disregard for vulnerable workers, you can be at least fairly sure that other kinds of dirty deeds are happening in that workplace: corruption, embezzlement, cutting corners on legal matters, pilfering goods, etc. After all, if nobody's holding the person accountable for so-called "lesser" bads, then they're more likely to go on to do "greater" bads, including those against the company.

And this is why well-built, well-enforced antibullying policies in the workplace and at school likely to be a good long-term crime reduction program. A long-run cheaper alternative to hiring extra police officers and building/maintaining more prison space.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:46 AM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
In Biden's America, we should expect this type of violence to increase.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:49 AM

12,974 posts, read 9,495,132 times
I'm going to guess that savagely attacking Paul Pelosi was not the result of a random robbery, but rather was political, related to him being a Democrat as well as the DUI of a couple of months ago.

With that assumption, having different points of view politically is to be expected. What is not expected is literally attacking and trying to kill one you see as your opponent. I'm generally conservative, but this act goes beyond politics.

I hope the perpetrator is tracked down, arrested, and spends the rest of their life in prison. The man is over 80 for goodness sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies