Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 10:54 AM

10,409 posts, read 6,946,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Good suggestions, if we can't recycle plastic we need to use other materials because it's most definitely a problem.

Unfortunately, the plastics industry is a very powerful lobby.
The question is, is it really a problem if it is disposed properly? As long as they are disposed of within a landfill, its really not an issue. In terms of recycling paper and aluminum are superior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2022, 11:00 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,572,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The question is, is it really a problem if it is disposed properly? As long as they are disposed of within a landfill, its really not an issue. In terms of recycling paper and aluminum are superior.
Because landfills are infinite in number? So that's the solution? Makes sense.

Old 10-31-2022, 11:07 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
Maybe we could put our idle prisoners and illegal immigrants to work sorting through the recyclables and perhaps even the normal trash?

One big problem for recycling facilities are plastic bags. Don't put plastic bags in your recycling bin. The bags get tangled in the machinery and cause damage. If you put recyclable items in a plastic bag, they will throw it to the side an put it in the landfill.

Education and enforcement play a big part in the problem.

Old 10-31-2022, 11:45 AM

10,409 posts, read 6,946,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Because landfills are infinite in number? So that's the solution? Makes sense.
Landfills typically are open 50 years. They don't take much space in aggregate of all land, and are repurposed when they are finished. It actually becomes pretty valuable land, and a renewable energy source when they are closed.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:03 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,787,958 times
Recycling was never commercially viable to begin with. The technology has been there but prohibitively expensive.

Just burn everything. Might as well generate some energy from trash.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:05 PM

29,793 posts, read 24,876,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Recycling was never commercially viable to begin with.

It's usually the function of the government to take care of things that were never supposed to be motivated by profit. This is a good example of such. I have no idea what the government's involvement is in the recycling business, but this seems like something that would easily fit under their "greater good" umbrella.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:06 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Greenpeace Admits... Just Throw Away The Plastic, It Simply Can't Be Recycled
The biggest scam is "single stream" recycling, where you put everything in one bin and they 'take care of it'

The sorting they can feasibly do turns out to be giant magnets pulling out all the metal, then minimum wage employees pulling out the biggest pieces of coregated cardboard they can spot. The rest just falls off the end of the conveyor belt on the way to the landfill.

There is no way on this green earth that anyone reads, or that it is possible to read, those little numbers on the plastics to separate them never mind that it takes more energy than it's worth to melt it down and re-inject it into a new mold. It does happen, but it's expensive and the exception rather than the rule and when it happens it relies on careful sorting by the consumer before it gets to the facility

Old 10-31-2022, 12:11 PM

3,176 posts, read 1,651,831 times
No plastic bags have caused a new problem. The amount of cloth and rubber bags that are tossed everywhere. People are just careless about the environment. Even if they pretend to care, they don't really practice it.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:13 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,787,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's usually the function of the government to take care of things that were never supposed to be motivated by profit. This is a good example of such. I have no idea what the government's involvement is in the recycling business, but this seems like something that would easily fit under their "greater good" umbrella.
The government needs to stay out of the recycling business. Bureaucrats make terrible businesspeople.

The government gets it wrong too many times and wastes too much money getting it wrong.

Old 10-31-2022, 12:16 PM

29,793 posts, read 24,876,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
No plastic bags have caused a new problem. The amount of cloth and rubber bags that are tossed everywhere. People are just careless about the environment. Even if they pretend to care, they don't really practice it.

Thank you for not blaming republicans/conservatives, as most people like to do around here. I think conservatives like myself are more likely to have compost heaps, and perhaps reuse or hold on to things longer. I recycle a lot of magazines and newspaper by using it for shipping things for my business. I also recycle a lot of plastic this way, although I assume the customer will probably toss it in the trash. But I can't control how other people live, nor do I have any desire to. I do receive a lot of this stuff from various sources that would otherwise throw them way.

All in all, this is a global problem. Every developed country is dealing with this. Some worse than others. I've seen videos of rivers in Brazil and Nigeria where the rivers were completely covered on the surface by trash. I have never seen anything like that here in America and hope I never do. I don't know how civilizations can expect to last long when they become developed and look like that within a few decades. What will those places look like in another 20 years if they don't get this problem under control?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies