Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 09:01 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times

Advertisements

'' The Framers of the Constitution were concerned about mob rule.''

There are Articles written in the Constitution with some one like Trump in mind. The Founding Fathers knew what could happen if the wrong person came into power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 09:02 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
The Loony Left broke American Democracy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-8g0zWXra0

Old 11-06-2022, 09:03 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
In 2022, there is a valid concern that a political party will remain in power even when it loses the support of a majority of voters.

Old 11-06-2022, 09:03 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
'There are Articles written in the Constitution with some one like Trump in mind. The Founding Fathers knew what could happen if the wrong person came into power.
And what could happen under Trump?

Record economic prosperty, energy production, and new peace deals in the middle east?

I swear some people drank the koolaid when they were breastfed

No, Trump was not elected by mob rule quite the opposite. He was elect by electoral college not popular vote and the country benefited greatly. Had mob rule won, Hillary would be president and we would have a leftist supreme court forcing child sex operations on parents, DC & Puerto Rico would be states, and voting laws would mandate all states allow voting by twitter but only if your social credit score was high enough based on how little meat you ate and how often you rode the bus instead of driving

Old 11-06-2022, 10:30 AM

72,976 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I obviously don't agree with VikingsToValhalla's post, but I don't agree with yours either. The Constitution was not written so that ALL American citizens would have the right to vote. The Framers of the Constitution were concerned about mob rule. The original Constitution left all decision about voting to the states.

Can you find one sentence in the original Constitution that says all American citizens would have the right to vote? Nothing was said about the right to vote until 1870 with the passage of the 15th Amendment.
The 15th Amendment, as it currently stands, guarantees all American citizens the right to vote. That is how it is right now. So I think you are wrong.

Old 11-06-2022, 10:43 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The 15th Amendment, as it currently stands, guarantees all American citizens the right to vote. That is how it is right now. So I think you are wrong.
actually based on the wording of his/her sentence, they were correct...the ORIGINAL Constitution never said anything about anybody the RIGHT to vote... voting is actually a privilege

the 15th amendment applied to slaves/former slaves as the words are clear
Quote:
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude
notice it does NOT say shall not be denied due to being a felon

Old 11-06-2022, 11:25 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
'' The Framers of the Constitution were concerned about mob rule.''

There are Articles written in the Constitution with some one like Trump in mind. The Founding Fathers knew what could happen if the wrong person came into power.
Mob rule? WTH are you even talking about?

Old 11-06-2022, 04:55 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
This is 2022.
Read the post I was responding to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Government, voters, or both?.
Both

Old 11-07-2022, 01:43 AM

908 posts, read 441,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
Currently, I think we should have a system of voting that only awards the privilege of voting to those who've paid at least $100,000 in federal income and/or capital gains taxes. Once a person reaches that threshold, then they're granted the privilege of voting. Military members, current or retired, will automatically receive voting privileges for life. Land owners who own an acre or more of land will also be granted automatic voting privileges.

Voting should not be a "right".
There are far too many non-contributing riff raff types who vote, and their sole reason for voting is to ensure they get free benefits, e.g. they vote Democrat.

While I disagree with the position of granting the franchise on the basis of tax paying status ( because I favor the repeal of the Sixteenth Amendment ) , I also happen to wholeheartedly agree that the franchise should be greatly restricted , on the basis of both land owning status as well as ( especially ) one's level of knowledge and intelligence .

All people wanting to vote would have to receive a minimum score of ( say ) 115 on an IQ test as well as pass a mandatory civics test in order to cast a ballot , with military veterans receiving an exemption .

Taking a seat in the Senate should be restricted to actual landowners and all candidates for political office would be required to score at least 130 on an IQ test , along with passing an advanced level political science knowledge test , to even be considered eligible to run for office .

While this system would also be far from perfect , I see no better way of maintaining a constitutional republic as far as the practical side of such an endeavor goes than to restrict the franchise in such a manner as to remove the ability of ignorant/unintelligent people to vote for charlatans , aka the way democracy always inevitably ends up functioning as .

Old 11-07-2022, 07:12 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
While I disagree with the position of granting the franchise on the basis of tax paying status ( because I favor the repeal of the Sixteenth Amendment ) , I also happen to wholeheartedly agree that the franchise should be greatly restricted , on the basis of both land owning status as well as ( especially ) one's level of knowledge and intelligence .

All people wanting to vote would have to receive a minimum score of ( say ) 115 on an IQ test as well as pass a mandatory civics test in order to cast a ballot , with military veterans receiving an exemption .

Taking a seat in the Senate should be restricted to actual landowners and all candidates for political office would be required to score at least 130 on an IQ test , along with passing an advanced level political science knowledge test , to even be considered eligible to run for office .

While this system would also be far from perfect , I see no better way of maintaining a constitutional republic as far as the practical side of such an endeavor goes than to restrict the franchise in such a manner as to remove the ability of ignorant/unintelligent people to vote for charlatans , aka the way democracy always inevitably ends up functioning as .
But requiring "all people wanting to vote would have to receive a minimum score of ( say ) 115 on an IQ test as well as pass a mandatory civics test in order to cast a ballot," would've prevented Donald Trump from voting for himself. That's not fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies