Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 08:45 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
I've spoken to you on this issue here before, so what I'm going to write is likely not new to you, but I think it may be relevant.

While what the black teenager did to the Asian teenager was criminal, ditto for the two white teenagers who murdered their high school Spanish teacher.

And you are right that confirmation bias is very much real; people will believe what they want to believe.

I fight, as a human being, not to allow perceptions become reality. The perceptions here are the problem. People see the news and make conclusions. This is why I alluded to what the news said re: police brutality against blacks. People have thought that at least 1,000 black Americans are killed unjustifiably by police each year and some believe it's thousands when in fact it's a small number. But based on the images and messages of the media, one would PERCEIVE it's hundreds and hundreds if not thousands.

In the same way, while the percentage of blacks in the U.S. who commit these violent crimes is a very small number when compared to the total number of blacks in the U.S., that percentage is perceived to be large because that small percentage of the black population commits many crimes which happen to be violent, whether the victims are also members of the black community or people of other races.

This perception issue, whether or not one wants to call it a problem, is part of human behavior. It's related to how we build first impressions upon meeting people for the first time. This is why many whites and Asians tend to avoid neighborhoods or areas which are heavily black or Hispanic. Most of those whites and Asians will readily acknowledge that they know that most of the people residing in those areas are perfectly decent and law-abiding men and women who simply happen to be black or Hispanic. They will likely admit that they understand that not everyone can afford to move to a safer neighborhood. But because they have perceptions of criminals oftentimes being black or Hispanic, they avoid those areas. And when this becomes a personal interaction thing, they tend to avoid dealing with blacks or Hispanics.

Asians are not immune. When Covid-19 started and Asians were targeted for harassment and violence, blacks, whites, and Hispanics all attacked or harassed Asians at one point or another. A Korean-American teenager born in the U.S. who has never traveled outside North America or a Japanese-American senior citizen whose own grandparents were born here and who has never been to China could not possibly have been responsible for Covid-19. But the media broadcast it as a "Chinese virus" (and for the record, while President Trump used that term, so did much of the media and even some Democratic Party politicians). And therefore, blacks, whites, and Hispanics attacked Asians regardless of whether or not those Asians were even Chinese or had been born in China.

Humans can be difficult, to put it lightly. And as you know all too well, skin color, social class, and gender are irrelevant when it comes to influencing how irrational people can be.
I know that human beings often don't think rationally. This thread and others threads can serve as proof of that. One of the reasons for confirmation bias. People will listen to what they want to listen to.

Judging individuals based on the very worst of their group isn't smart. It isn't morally sound. And it isn't rational either. However, it goes back to human beings not always being rational.

I'm aware of the crime that goes on. I'm aware of the the crime statistics say in terms of race. I've known about it for years. Strangely, one of the few reasons I've bothered to look those statistics up is because of the comments I've seen here on city-data.

Many people will act based on perceptions rather than the individual they are dealing with. However, I also notice that some people will keep on thinking the same way. I think about what you said regarding the news. It's one of the reasons I mentioned people only listening to what they want to listen to. Some people will keep on thinking in irrational ways regardless of being shown different. Some people don't want to learn. Some people don't want to do better.

As for police brutality, this is the #1 thing that gets me. It's not the numbers. It's the fear that said officer could get away with it. The only time we ever hear about police brutality is in the news. Actually, the only way we hear about ANYTHING is through the news. If the news never reported on anything, we would never know about anything. How the news gets reported, who reports it, and the narrative being spread, that is a different matter altogether. There are problems there.

At the end of the day, so much of human behavior is about "shoot and ask questions later".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Where else are you going to get this sort of information? Do you think that CNN or your local newspaper would ever run these stories? No, they won't, because they go against the narrative that white supremacy is the biggest danger we face, and that if black kids misbehave in school, it's somehow the fault of (white) society oppressing them. Somehow, we've come to the point where the only publications that will print stories like this are ones that are accused of being white supremacist.

Have you ever heard about the "achievement gap"? This is the difference in academic achievement between white and Asian students on the one hand, and black and Hispanic students on the other hand. Where I live, the achievement gap is the subject of much handwringing. Keep in mind, I live in one of the most affluent counties in the entire country. The school district is county-wide, so all schools are funded equally. And yet, the achievement gap is wide, and it is often lamented in public discourse. What isn't talked about, ever, is that the reason there is an achievement gap is not because white society is racist, but because black and Hispanic people, as a group, place a whole lot less emphasis on education than white and Asian people, as a group, do. (Note well, I said "as a group." There are certainly exceptions.) No one will ever say this, but it's the absolute truth. And until black and Hispanic people, as a group, decide to place greater emphasis on education, the achievement gap will continue to persist, no matter how often it's subtly blamed on white racism.
I don't know. As it is, I barely watch the news now. I haven't watched CNN in years. I will never touch Fox News. The most news I get is listening to NPR on the car radio.

This is the thing. I don't know where I might get that kind of information. However, I do not want it from AmRen. This is what AmRen is. It is a white supremacist website that was founded by "race-realist" Jared Taylor. I know all about him and his crap. New Century Foundation, a "race-realist" organization, publishes its content. And that organization has links to Council of Concerned Citizens, members of the KKK, and other groups that basically preach the "race realism" message. It is known to publish alot of anti-Black content. American Renaissance is heavily biased towards to the race realist mantra.

AmRen is "accused" of being white supremacist because that is what it is. Period.

I've heard of the term "achievement gap" used. I don't pay much attention to it. If I want to know, I go and do the research for myself. I can go talk to my father, who attended mostly Black schools from elementary school on through high school. His first time being in a predominantly White school, was when he went to college. I can go read reams of research for myself. Here is the thing. I concentrate on what I can do for myself. I've never once thought about the achievement gap growing up. Never thought about it much in college. In fact, I went to a 90% White school in the suburbs and there were plenty of low-achieving White kids too. The only times I really thought about "achievement gap" is when race realist types would go on about "Blacks are not as smart as Whites and Asians".

Now, I do think about other things like job discrimination and things that would personally affect me. Achievement gap, I don't think about that. That's personally within my control. It's stuff I can't control that I tend to think about more.

I have no use for a racist publication like AmRen. The only thing I'd get out of it is a nervous breakdown and alot of anger towards its writers. As someone who has personally dealt with prejudice, who has dealt with people treating me badly because of my race, why would I want to read some stuff from.a website like AmRen? What benefit would it be to me?

By the way, the last two questions are not rhetorical. I would like to know how I would benefit (as in my life getting better), because I don't see any benefits in it. If you think I would benefit, try and change my mind.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:28 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't know. As it is, I barely watch the news now. I haven't watched CNN in years. I will never touch Fox News. The most news I get is listening to NPR on the car radio.

[. . .]

I have no use for a racist publication like AmRen. The only thing I'd get out of it is a nervous breakdown and alot of anger towards its writers. As someone who has personally dealt with prejudice, who has dealt with people treating me badly because of my race, why would I want to read some stuff from.a website like AmRen? What benefit would it be to me?

By the way, the last two questions are not rhetorical. I would like to know how I would benefit (as in my life getting better), because I don't see any benefits in it. If you think I would benefit, try and change my mind.
Read it or don't read it, it's up to you. You summarily dismissed the linked articles because of where they were published, which I think is a rather closed-minded way of going about things. If you only get your news from NPR, you are getting a biased view of the world. If you're not interested in this particular topic, that's fine. But by refusing to read the articles due to their source, you are closing yourself off from a perspective that you absolutely will not get from NPR. Your choice, of course.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:36 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The only times I really thought about "achievement gap" is when race realist types would go on about "Blacks are not as smart as Whites and Asians".
I mentioned the achievement gap because it's a topic in which the "race realists" are closer to the truth of why the gap exists than are the liberals that you'll hear on NPR. It has nothing to do with "white supremacy" or "systemic racism" or all the other liberal boogeymen. To be sure, it's also not due to "blacks are not as smart as whites and Asians." There are plenty of black people who have excelled in pretty much every field of human endeavor. So I don't think it's an issue of innate intelligence. It's an issue of a toxic culture that denigrates education and celebrates negative behavior. For some reason, a greater share of black (and Hispanic) people embrace this culture, thus spawning the achievement gap. If we as a society are too afraid to correctly identify the cause of the problem, we will never find a solution.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Read it or don't read it, it's up to you. You summarily dismissed the linked articles because of where they were published, which I think is a rather closed-minded way of going about things. If you only get your news from NPR, you are getting a biased view of the world. If you're not interested in this particular topic, that's fine. But by refusing to read the articles due to their source, you are closing yourself off from a perspective that you absolutely will not get from NPR. Your choice, of course.
I notice you omitted a large part of my post. There was a very good reason I said all of those things. Ignoring it doesn't mean that you've refuted it.

I've read a few posts from AmRen. Based on what I've read, I can confirm it is a white supremacist website. This is based on the times I have read it. I've read it in the past. That is why I disregard. I don't disregard it for the sake of it. I've read it. All I get out of it are people who see Blacks as people to be avoided and separated from. All I get out of it are individuals who are looking for a space to vent the resentment and annoyance that they have towards Blacks. You're saying I'm close-minded for disregarding AmRen. Maybe I am. Maybe I don't want to get any of my information from a website that makes it well known that it views Blacks as inferiors. Until that is address, there's nothing else to talk about.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:46 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
When are we gonna ban knives and pointy objects?!!!!

Old 11-03-2022, 11:04 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Just another average day in high school in America.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...record-attack/
Nothing to do with schools. This is all on parents. Teachers are not there to raise your kids.

Old 11-03-2022, 11:10 PM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Nothing to do with schools. This is all on parents. Teachers are not there to raise your kids.
They used to be. Teachers imparted all manner of positive civil and social behavior in children when I was in grade school in the 1960s.

We were taught to share. We were taught politeness and manners. We were taught to say "please" and "thank you" and "pardone me". We were taught to discuss rather than scream or fight. We learned to ask permision. We learned patience. We learned discipline. We learned perseverence.

All this sometimes at the end of a yardstick.

It is shame to hear you say that teachers don't teach children how to behave civilly in public anymore. A darn shame.

Perhaps that is a reason why we have threads like this one.

Old 11-03-2022, 11:16 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
They used to be. Teachers imparted all manner of positive civil and social behavior in children when I was in grade school in the 1960s.

We were taught to share. We were taught politeness and manners. We were taught to say "please" and "thank you" and "pardone me". We were taught to discuss rather than scream or fight. We learned to ask permision. We learned patience. We learned discipline. We learned perseverence.

All this sometimes at the end of a yardstick.

It is shame to hear you say that teachers don't teach children how to behave civilly in public anymore. A darn shame.

Perhaps that is a reason why we have threads like this one.
Parents teach these things. Why do you expect teachers to do your job.

Old 11-04-2022, 12:14 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Parents teach these things. Why do you expect teachers to do your job.
Cuz it takes a Village?

Though I would keep the overflow of the village idiot from participating.

logic would say - persons are influential and if 8hours of their life is within this study environment- Then habits will rub off. Some good- some not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies