Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 11:38 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
While no question cities, which generally tend to be Democrat heavy, have high property crime rates. It is interesting that red states lead in violent crime rates.
So there is a bit of common sense logic.

In more densely populated communities -- property crime will happen because it is easier to commit....is it Democrat policies at the local, state or federal level that makes it easier. No simple logistics. You have 10 houses on a street.....thieves can go down the street and break into 10 cars or try to.

In the country, Democrat or Republican....houses are spread out miles around. Property theieves are less inclined to be able to 'sneak' up to a house and try to steal a car's content or sneak into a house.

I live in a Republican state with very high crime rate (South Carolina) . Spartanburg is considered one of the most unsafe cities in the state -- it's all Republican. Is it because of Republican state policies? Or local Republican policies...or is it just because it is Spartanburg

The second most unsafe city Myrtle Beach -- again a Republican strong hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 11:47 AM

4,668 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Exactly!

My city (Denver) has been #1 for car thefts lately. Democrats reclassified a lot of types of crime to the point where there is virtually no consequence for petty crime. And then they’ll say things like “violent crime was higher in the 1970s” and act like everything is either amazing, or, they’ll act like all of this petty crime happened because of COVID.

What is that saying … something like “don’t p*$$ on my leg and tell me it’s raining.”

So I’m enjoying all of these pro-Democrat “well ackshually…” type articles that highlight various crime stats that happen to be lower right now than they were in the 1980s or 1990s, somehow citing those as evidence that modern-day Democrats, in their quest for “equity” and defunding the police, have not been responsible for any uptick in crime.
I have been saying since Ferguson in 2014 that Democrats want, on some barely conscious level, to go back to the 80s and early 90s in terms of inner-city living conditions. When inner-city conditions improve, they experience existential anxiety and terror that their endless "solutions" and "programs" have become obsolete. They would rather things suck because then they can live a persona where they and only they have the solution...which of course, actually makes things even worse...rinse, wash, repeat.

I'd say this working theory has aged pretty well.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:51 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Going back to the original question, in a lot of area, tough on crime policies enacted in the late 90s into the 00s had a very good effect on reducing crime. I live in NYC and saw this first hand. Murder rates that peaked out over 2,200 a year bottomed out at under 300.

But starting the late 10s and into the 20s, there was a Democrat lead push to roll back these laws, and release criminal jailed under them. Now we're seeing big spikes in crime because of this, and people are holding the Democrats responsible for this.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:53 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
If we want to be honest here and not beat around the bush, the vast majority of crime occurs in areas blacks live in large numbers, and I dont support racists and treating people bad because of skin color, its just documented fact. You could also make a correlation its higher in poor areas. Or Mexican areas. Or areas with high drug use. Drugs + minorities + big cites + gangs = crime.

Are more blacks poor? Are whites to blame? Are Republicans to blame? Democrats? What's the solution? Often the age range of these criminals is 15-25.

Old 11-01-2022, 11:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Going back to the original question, in a lot of area, tough on crime policies enacted in the late 90s into the 00s had a very good effect on reducing crime. I live in NYC and saw this first hand. Murder rates that peaked out over 2,200 a year bottomed out at under 300.

But starting the late 10s and into the 20s, there was a Democrat lead push to roll back these laws, and release criminal jailed under them. Now we're seeing big spikes in crime because of this, and people are holding the Democrats responsible for this.
So why do you think in my Republican state, Republican communities we have seen an uptick in crime?

Old 11-01-2022, 12:07 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Its a numbers game really. more people, more bad people, more crime. Not rocket Science.

Of course, if you are a politician in a major city and you tout "Defund the Police" then you are simply a special kind of stupid!
IMO, they have earned criticism.

Old 11-01-2022, 12:12 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Why Republican attacks on crime have been so devastating for Democrats

Well, only certain crimes.
We all know that the GOP has no qualms about fraud and various white-collar crime. That was their last president's stock and trade. They are quite often engaged in the types of illegal behaviors that they squeal loudest about -- voter fraud and hiring illegals. There is something uniquely Republican when it comes to mass shootings in churches and synagogues and supermarkets.

Republicans claim violent crime is a hallmark of Democrat-run states but of the ten states with the highest murder rates, eight are Republican. https://www.thirdway.org/report/the-...murder-problem

Crime tends to go up during some hard economic periods, but it goes up across the board. So in this case, the pot calls the kettle black...
What does white collar crime have to do with me? Nada, zip. Violent crime concerns me far more, though I am perfectly fine with white collar criminals going to jail for their crimes.

Old 11-01-2022, 12:22 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
And I think we’ve gone over this before because crime is essentially a local issue and red states have cities too.

That doesn't mean that local officials aren't influence by national policies and politics.

Cities in red states are often run by blue politics and institute blue policies on crime.

If you pushed Manhattan off into the Atlantic, the remaining part of NY state would be bright red.

Old 11-01-2022, 01:07 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
While no question cities, which generally tend to be Democrat heavy, have high property crime rates. It is interesting that red states lead in violent crime rates.
All states have a mix of blue and red areas. Crime is a local issue and blue areas in both red and blue states have serious issues with crime right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
And I think we’ve gone over this before because crime is essentially a local issue and red states have cities too.

Old 11-01-2022, 01:12 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
It's not interesting. It's demographics and the fact that worldwide crime is higher in warmer climates.
Is that why Alaska is off the scale with the highest violent crime rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies